Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth About Exercise- BBC feature page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

The Truth About Exercise- BBC feature

Currently watching. Oooooh................ YEAH!
    Horizon - The Truth About Exercise (BBC, 2012) - YouTube

UK Guy is offline Senior Member
    Seen it....if this information goes mainstream then the fitness industry will have to dramatically adapt or die...can't sell many memberships, PT sessions, clothes or equipment if all you really require are a good couple of dumbbells, a decent exercise bike or strip of ground to run on and the good outdoors to move around. Kind of points to what Mark has been promoting ( even if they didn't mention the importance of weight training ) all along. Don't need much time or expense to achieve good levels of fitness. Wish I'd known this years ago...my life would have been so different...lol

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member
    This was really awesome. I wish I could get the genetic test done to see where I fall as far as benefiting from exercise. This made me feel good about doing my tabatas today
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UK Guy View Post
    Seen it....if this information goes mainstream then the fitness industry will have to dramatically adapt or die...can't sell many memberships, PT sessions, clothes or equipment if all you really require are a good couple of dumbbells, a decent exercise bike or strip of ground to run on and the good outdoors to move around. Kind of points to what Mark has been promoting ( even if they didn't mention the importance of weight training ) all along. Don't need much time or expense to achieve good levels of fitness. Wish I'd known this years ago...my life would have been so different...lol
    I have a number of conspiracy theories why CW gets so entrenched, even now, amid counter movements .

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I like where I'm at, in terms of how I've been feeling ever since I decided to go Paleo/Primal almost a year ago. I think, once my contract is up at the MMA gym, I might adjust it to exclude the fitness / striking classes I've been doing, in conjunction with grappling. I could only do once a week of cross fit; and that's enough for me to be sore for one week.

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, thanks for posting this.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Very interesting. If you look at it from a Primal POV, it really validates it. Lots of regular movement (the non exercise part) & short sharp bursts 3 times a week.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Great documentary. As a strength coach, I have been promoting my version of this stuff for a while. People look at me like I'm a lunatic when I tell them I don't want to see them more than 2-3 hours per week for strength training, and 30-75 minutes of that is foam rolling and stretching. And that's for someone that needs to lose a significant amount of weight, if you are already lean you can probably even knock that down more. Personally, I may sprint once a week and do upper body as 2 half hour sessions. If I need another leg day I'll frisbee golf or hike.

If you recall from the documentary, they got a 24% improvement in insulin sensitivity with the HIT protocol. What they don't tell you in the documentary is that you get the same bump in insulin sensitivity via increasing NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Time), which is discussed in the documentary but they only talk about calories. Since it is through a different mechanism, combining them actually causes even greater improvement. I get people that come to me to lose weight and I tell them to go on paleo and make sure to get 10,000+ steps a day first, once that's done they can start with me. If they aren't doing that there is no point in me strength training them if fat loss is their goal. Most of them come back when they hit a wall or can't get the diet down properly. I currently use the FitBit to monitor their daily activity and their sleep quality which is helping me big time, I have clients competing against one another for the most steps, floors climbed, miles, etc.

robtkatz is offline Junior Member
    The documentary emphasized three all-out 20 second sprints, done three times per week. I don't recall any mention of the length of the rest interval between the sprints. Was there any such recommendation?

Dave Mayo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    4 minutes, but full recovery is necessary so if you're out of shape and can't recover fully in 4 minutes rest longer.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast