Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: exercise guilt page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

exercise guilt

Shop Now
    Does anyone feel guilty about their lack of motivation to exercise? I don't mean not wanting to walk, I am really great with that. I have just lost interest in all the weight lifting and huffing and puffing etc. I got back in it last year and discovered I can do 3 sets of burpees. Whoop dee doo. I need to get back to lifting weights every other but all I have is this draggy feeling like what's the point.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    One of the things having stood out, when I read the Primal Blueprint, was the idea of randomization of workout occurrences. He wrote about not having a set routine, and just workout whenever you felt like it. I may not do Martial Arts as rigorously scheduled as I once did, but do them at spurs of the moment, when I felt like I really wanted to get into it

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    If your body is telling you it doesn't want to do it, so be it. You will be as toned as you want to be. I'm still fairly irregular on it, when I get my weight down some more I will start to ramp it up a bit.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

AlexChaos is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog6 View Post
    If your body is telling you it doesn't want to do it, so be it.
    That is not a good indicator that you should not work out. I would say that most of the time I don't feel like working out, until I start to workout. I always feel great after workout, especially if I got my ass out the door and do it when I didn't feel like it.

It is when you don't feel like working out and/or don't want to is when you really need to.

Best way is to randomize your workouts and do something different each time. Use different equipment, vary the time, the place and the intensity.

Set a minimum of times that you have to workout each week. My minimum is 3. No matter what I have to hit 3 workouts per week. Whether I feel like it or not.

Vary:
    - equipment
    - time
    - intensity
    - do circuits, increase/decrease ladder
    - rounds
    - tabata
    - 300 challenge workouts (make up your own)
    - go heavy or go light or use weighted vest

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I'm gonna rock out with some intervals.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexChaos View Post
    That is not a good indicator that you should not work out. I would say that most of the time I don't feel like working out, until I start to workout. I always feel great after workout, especially if I got my ass out the door and do it when I didn't feel like it.

It is when you don't feel like working out and/or don't want to is when you really need to.

Best way is to randomize your workouts and do something different each time. Use different equipment, vary the time, the place and the intensity.

Set a minimum of times that you have to workout each week. My minimum is 3. No matter what I have to hit 3 workouts per week. Whether I feel like it or not.

Vary:
    - equipment
    - time
    - intensity
    - do circuits, increase/decrease ladder
    - rounds
    - tabata
    - 300 challenge workouts (make up your own)
    - go heavy or go light or use weighted vest
    For many people, this is a recipe for fuckarounditis. This won't work for many people who have specific goals, unless those variations are planned out beforehand. You won't ever know if you are progressing without measurable increases of something (reps, weight, time, etc), and if you are constantly changing things you won't be able to measure anything.

I do agree that you should work out, even if you don't always feel up to it, and that working out makes you feel better, even if you didn't want to start.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    Distinguishing between recharging battery / healing / need to rest and just not wanting to work out has been hard for me. I am dealing w/ end recovery stages of adrenal fatigue and some days I just feel crappy. If I work out anyway, my throat glands swell and I feel really fuzzy. So I have learned to back off and let my body tell me what's going on instead of just "pushing through" as is my preferred method.

Look at your overall picture. Still healing? Lots of stress? Not sleeping or eating well? These should be factors you consider.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    For many people, this is a recipe for fuckarounditis. This won't work for many people who have specific goals, unless those variations are planned out beforehand. You won't ever know if you are progressing without measurable increases of something (reps, weight, time, etc), and if you are constantly changing things you won't be able to measure anything.

I do agree that you should work out, even if you don't always feel up to it, and that working out makes you feel better, even if you didn't want to start.
    i agree with you and with alex. it's always better to do something than to do nothing. so i agree with alex in the sense that changing it up can be the spark that you need. and i agree with you that this type of approach won't work with someone who has super specific goals and a specific program. that being said, i don't ever recommend getting under a bar with 400lbs if your mind is not 100% there that day. the risk of injury is just too great. but if it's a leg day and i'm not 100% mentally there, i may do some plyometric stuff, some split squats, weighted walking lunges, etc. i'll still do a workout, just not the kind of workout that i could blow out my spine. does that make sense?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I have a reverse case. I feel really guilty and anxious when I am not in the gym doing something intensive daily.

Today is a beautiful day, and I keep telling myself that I absolutely should just go for a lunch walk, then park car after work at home & walk and pick my kid from the day care and relax while she is playing on the way home, then walk while she is in a dnace class, but what my guilt tells me to do is to fit in 30 min bike intervals in the gym instead of picking my kid up by foot. I lifted yesterday and skipped 2 days of structured excersise beforehand because of the injury to hamstrings that won't heal for over a week. I still feel it a bit, and an extra day would probably be good. But it feels like an excuse to just walk. Hence, guilt.

I am trying to compromise with myself at walking with my child and then going for a run while the kid is in her dance class. If I could run intervals outside it all would be fine, but I can't because of the said torn hamstrings & bunions (grass unavailable, just asphalt trail - I haven't run for almost a year because opf the bunion & wanted to start trail/grass barefoot running this summer), so bike is a better option, and I doubt a jogg is going to be any more effective than just a walk.

To add to that I am really pressed for time, and still have to shop for cake decorating supplies (I am taking a class in April-May) so I am tempted to go shopping while kid is in her dance class. But then I will need to do the bike, or I will be super-short on moving about today. And, I need to make a cheesecake for hubby's department lunch tonight & get up about 3 am tomorrow to cook the food for 25 or so people for that lunch tomorrow that would jeopardize my lifting tomorrow; plus, cook supper, of course. nad load the dehydrator if I can with the veggie chips. I am of course afraid that I am going to 'test out' the cheescake ingredients (nutella, hazelnuts, cream-cheese, all highly tempting!). Which will make me quadruple guilty if I did not do anything today but walking.

I feel so trapped & guilty even thinking about the possibility of skipping any more training!

I don't understand how people can live without gym!
    Last edited by Leida; 03-12-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Wait, you people sit still sometimes? How do you NOT want to sprint, scream and throw things simultaneously?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast