Thread: Help! Struggling to lose - need encouragement! page

oxfordadam is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Help! Struggling to lose - need encouragement!

Primal Fuel
    Hey fellow stumblers! I'm struggling with paleo and need: 1) encouragement and 2) insight.
    I've been overweight all my 45 years. (One exception of when I was 30-33 years and got down to 185# - through constant deprivation - but have since gone back up to 220 range.) I even ran a marathon last year but with 30+ miles a week running, I still only got down to 208#! I am SO TIRED of being fat! I've tried excessive exercise: didn't work. I've tried calorie deprivation: didn't work. I've tried everything: nothing seems to work. I am not happy with myself and need some encouragement.

I started living primal 2 weeks ago at 222# and 26% BF. Today, I meaasured 219# and 27% BF. I've been faithful to the eating plan, tracking every morsel coming into my mouth through fitday.com. I have about 160 g protein per day and am keeping carbs at or below 100g. What gives? Any ideas as to why I'm not seeing the gains everyoday else has? I am so tired of being fat - need encouragement fast!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Body fat devices are notoriously inaccurate- too many things can affect them, such as hydration and bowel movements, which naturally change significantly during the day.

You've been overweight for 45 years and trying to be primal for 1/3 of 45 days. Relax, and ditch your scale. Let your body heal itself, and it will drop weight when it's ready.

Oh, and tape yourself- neck, chest, biceps, waist, hips, thighs. Record these, and check again in a month.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Body fat devices are notoriously inaccurate- too many things can affect them, such as hydration and bowel movements, which naturally change significantly during the day.

You've been overweight for 45 years and trying to be primal for 1/3 of 45 days. Relax, and ditch your scale. Let your body heal itself, and it will drop weight when it's ready.

Oh, and tape yourself- neck, chest, biceps, waist, hips, thighs. Record these, and check again in a month.
    +1 Hang in there. Maybe drop carbs to around 75.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

captaineight is offline Senior Member
    You need to eat less calories, period.

People will tell you to eat less carbs. Try it. When you find out it doesn't work, start eating less calories. It will work.

This is an excellent calorie calculator to use:

Estimated Calorie Requirements

Figure out how much you burn per day, subtract 500 calories, and then plan a diet with an excel style-sheet (or a pocket calculator) that conforms to that calorie limit. Keep your protein high (150+ grams), and your fats and carbs moderate. Exclude all sugary carbohydrates, bread and potatoes.

As you're losing weight, your body needs less calories. This is not "starvation mode" or "hitting a plateau". This is simply that you have lost weight and your body needs less energy, so you have to drop the calories again slightly to continue losing weight. I usually diet in 10-week spurts, dropping the calorie intake by about 200 calories at the half-way point.

If you want, I will post a diet plan that I have had excellent success with when I get home. You can use the spreadsheet to customise your own diet.

Yup. The best way to keep track of your body composition is a simple tape-measure around the waist, first thing in the morning before eating or drinking. If that's going down, you're doing something right.

Not only are BF % callipers totally inaccurate, but figures are also ridiculously exaggerated in the fitness industry. How often have you heard people claim they (or some idol of theirs) is 3% bodyfat or something else ridiculous? They'd be in hospital if that was true. Even a totally shredded pro bodybuilder in contest condition is %7 - %8. Maybe 6 at the lowest. The average, slim, healthy man is about 15%.

oxfordadam is offline Junior Member
    I would LOVE a sample diet plan - THANKS! Since my post (naturally!), I HAVE dropped a few pounds. where I had been at 222# I was 218# this morning. My calorie count the last couple of days has been down around 1500 and protein in the 150-160 range. Funny thing is I haven't been hungry!

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips - looking forward to them.

Hello Oxfordadamn.

Glad you're interested in doing things the right way.

I'm sorry but I'm at work again now and don't have the spreadsheet available. I'll post it up (with my diet) when I get home. You can modify it as you see fit. I would suggest 1500 calories is too low. You will certainly lose weight, don't worry about that. The problem is that a significant portion of it might be muscle weight (if you carry a fair bit of muscle), and it might be hard to keep motivated and keep strict with a calorie intake that low.

My diet plan even allows for a glass of red wine or two on Saturday night, and cooking dinner with a dash of oil and butter. I think you'll like it.

BTW, excessive exercise doesn't work because it doesn't burn up enough calories - or if it does, it leaves you feeling ravenous. Cutting calories in the kitchen, combined with light/moderate exercise (depending on your goal) is the best bet.

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating 160g of protein per day you won't lose muscle as you have enough protein to avoid catabolism. As you're not hungry and getting enough protein, it seems you are starting to burn your reserves. This is how primal is supposed to work. Your progress may not be linear. Don't worry. Stick with it unless things go wrong for you (shouldn't happen)
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's a copy of the diet plan I use.

Unfortunately, I can't attach the spreadsheet file (and it's in Open Office format anyway), but you can do the same thing with a pocket calculator and a pencil.

The stuff you can see there that I have for 3 days, that's for the 3 days I go to the gym. In the gym I do just the basics: benchpress, squats, rows, deadlifts and overhead press. I do 1-2 warmup sets and 1 heavy set of each exercise.

So far over 6 weeks I've lost 6kg (about 14 lbs), waistline has gone from 39" to 36", and my strength has improved a tiny fraction. So it's all looking good.

Obviously it's not 100%, balls-to-the-wall paleo, but I do have paleo in the back of my mind when I'm cooking and dieting.

Hope this helps.

diet-plan.jpg