Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Juice Feasting/Fasting page

Juice Feasting/Fasting

Shop Now
    So I'm thinking about going on a 30-40 day juice feast. I've fallen way off the Primal wagon this past month or so and I need to do something radical to get myself back to a healthy place. I'm unsure if I would do 100% juices (since it can be cost prohibitive to juice everything). I would probably incorporate some coconut products (oil, flesh, water, maybe milk.) I'm thinking avocado would be a good choice too and maybe some raw nuts...want to make sure I'm getting some fat in my diet because I have insulin sensitivity issues and don't do well when I consume too much sugar of any kind.

Has anyone done a juice feast/fast before? Any advice?

patski is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't recommend a juice fast, due to all the sugar you'll be ingesting. And I'm not sure about doing a fast for that long. Some people have gone on fasts here for a week and no longer, and reported some astonishing healings: ridding themselves of asthma and eczema to start! Most people fast to burn excess fat we're having trouble with losing, but also for health benefits. I'm currently fasting due to digestion issues I've been having.

Drink only water on a fast.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    I wouldn't recommend a juice fast, due to all the sugar you'll be ingesting. And I'm not sure about doing a fast for that long. Some people have gone on fasts here for a week and no longer, and reported some astonishing healings: ridding themselves of asthma and eczema to start! Most people fast to burn excess fat we're having trouble with losing, but also for health benefits. I'm currently fasting due to digestion issues I've been having.

Drink only water on a fast.

+1

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Is juice feast a typo? I can't imagine anyone overindulging on fruit for more than a day or so~

oxide is offline Senior Member
    30 days of indiscretion, followed by 40 days of straight-up blood-sugar bombs? You'll just hurt yourself even worse.

The best way to get back into primal is to get back into primal. If you feel the need to get radical, try a Whole30 or a Leptin Reset.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    A few weeks ago I decided to try a water-only fast. I have chronic digestive problems that eating strict paleo for the past year has not improved, and after eliminating essentially every food group and not being able to figure out the trigger, I decided to give my digestive system a big break. I had no issues with hunger at all, which was great, but after the 48 hour mark (late night on the second day, my already low blood pressure/pulse dropped enough to be concerning (especially since I wasn't under the 'supervision' of any doctor). My pulse went down into the low 40s, with some arrythmias, which was not improved even when I took a bunch of electrolytes and drank veggie broth with pink himalyan salt. About 5 minutes after eating, everything normalized. I tried to resume the fast the next day, same problem. Then a few days ago, I decided to try a juice diet - 3 glasses of mostly veggie juices with a spoon of coconut oil in addition to veggie broth with salt, and i had the same problem!

I know there are a lot of people who do long fasts and juice diets with really positive results, but it's really crucial that you are able to identify problems and know which symptoms are normal and which are dangerous. So, my advice is to give it a try, but proceed with caution. Make sure you have one of those home blood pressure/pulse monitors (I got mine from Rite Aid for about $30) and check yourself frequently. Also, from my reading, it seems that your juices should be primarily vegetable, with a little fruit mixed in (and the coconut oil is good for balancing blood sugar, as recommended by Dr. McBride in the GAPS diet, but she includes raw egg as well.)

Since you mentioned including nuts and avocado, it seems like it would make more sense to just eat clean, healthy foods - easily digestible stuff, like homemade soups, stews, etc...

Good luck!

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    And there is no way juice is Primal - I'm sure Grok never juiced anything in his life!
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

saturnfan is offline Senior Member
    This makes me think of a documentary I watched a few months ago, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but if you do did it, I think you will also have to juice lots of veggies. Don't just use fruit.
    Started 9/5/11 at 212lb
    Last weigh in 12/10/11 at 188lb
    Goal: 160

I don't plan on consuming much fruit juice, if any. I know that I can't handle 4-5 sugar bombs a day. It is just something that I have been tossing around in my mind for a few weeks now. I have a good friend who lost 100 lbs on a long term juice fast. He was also on a regimen of supplements and vegan protein replacement powders (ick). He has been encouraging me to do a shorter term one with him for awhile now, but I have been putting it off because I have no interest in being a vegan.

If I were to do a juice fast/feast, I would consuming mostly green juices, along with some bone broths, coconut, avocado, raw nuts, and LOTS of water. Another friend suggested adding some fermented foods and raw milk to the mix to aid with digestion and to up the fat content of my diet.

I'm just experiencing some difficulties on the Primal path right now.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
    This makes me think of a documentary I watched a few months ago, "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead." I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but if you do did it, I think you will also have to juice lots of veggies. Don't just use fruit.
    just started watching this on Netflix yesterday.
    He was juicing a huge amount of veggies! I've only watched up to about day 30 of his 60 day fast so far.

He included some things that I would never have thought to juice, like onions.
    Last edited by Misabi; 03-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast