Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Juice Feasting/Fasting page 2

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Not sure why everyone assumes fruit when you talk about juicing. Ifyou have a vitamix or similiar machine you can easily make wonderful green/red juices. If you want to take the edge off you can add a few berries which doesn't add much sugar if you watch the quantity.
    Cheers
    J

b.good is offline Junior Member
    I would suggest, if you do a juice fast to use a really high end blender. I have a Blendtech and it works great. If you use a juicer it will strain out all the beneficial fiber and what not. I think it could be very beneficial for maybe a week or two as long as you keep the sugar down and it is crucial that you get enough fat and protein. Try to give yourself adequate macronutrients. This will keep you nourished while making it much easy for you to digest and absorb the food.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by b.good View Post
    I would suggest, if you do a juice fast to use a really high end blender. I have a Blendtech and it works great. If you use a juicer it will strain out all the beneficial fiber and what not. I think it could be very beneficial for maybe a week or two as long as you keep the sugar down and it is crucial that you get enough fat and protein. Try to give yourself adequate macronutrients. This will keep you nourished while making it much easy for you to digest and absorb the food.
    Sorry~ but how is this a fast? Your body is still engaged in digestion and at famine levels at that~ Better to do a shorter water only fast and let your body really *clean house*!

b.good is offline Junior Member
    I would agree. What I referred to wouldn't really be a fast. However, it would surely ease your digestive system, and it could be a very easy and effective way to see what your body tolerates well and what it doesn't like so much (i.e. eliminate/reintroduce dairy etc.)

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Examples from Fitday:

1 cup celery juice: 10 g carb
    8 ounces Kale (6 oz juice?): 22 g carb
    1 cup carrot juice: 22 g carbs
    2 small avocados: 15 carbs
    2 cups diced cucumber (8 oz juice?): 6 carbs <-- hey, not bad.

While I wouldn't call those sugar "bombs," those carbs do add up, especially if you've taken out all the fiber. If you're going to alternate low-carb juice with bone broth, that may not be a bad thing, but I don't see how you could tolerate 40 days of it.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would go the other way for something radical: eliminate all sugar and sweeteners, including fruit, at least, and/or do Whole 30 without fruit or nuts. It has an advantage of fixing your body and natural satiation mechanism, eating solid foods (easier to feel full, again) and not going into crazy sugar spins.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Someone upthread mentioned the movie "Sick, Fat, and Nearly Dead"...which I watched on Thursday. My friend who suggested the juice fast was in a similar situation to Phil from the movie. He was morbidly obese and really ill. He lost over 100lbs in like 4-5months on a juice fast. Not saying that he's a-ok healthwise now, but it is sort of inspirational. I struggle with losing weight. I tend to get stuck in low 200s and just can't break that barrier. I'm only 5'8, so the low 200s is not exactly ideal.

Right now I'm on the upswing, having gained around 25lbs since the holidays due to a crazy schedule and stress induced overeating of carb-y holiday foods. It is very frustrating. I just want to get down to a more reasonable weight so I can exercise more comfortably and kick some of my hormonal issues to the curb. The juice and bone broth fast seems like a good way to do this...but I am having reservations because I love bacon (who doesn't?) and a good burger with guacamole on top. Plus I just started a new job as a part-time nanny for a very active 5 year old. So I'm really needed to do something to boost my energy levels.

Yaya76 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Not sure why everyone assumes fruit when you talk about juicing. Ifyou have a vitamix or similiar machine you can easily make wonderful green/red juices. If you want to take the edge off you can add a few berries which doesn't add much sugar if you watch the quantity.
    Cheers
    J
    I tend to follow the rule - Juice my veggies, Eat my fruits. Yeah, I was listening to a paleo/primal podcast and they talked about all the sugar you get with juicing and I was thinking from Kale, celery, broccoli other veggie...uh? Then I thought they must assume people sit around and juice fruits. Juicing veggies allows me to get in a lot of veggies while I learn to like veggies. I'm use to ordering a number off a fast food menu, so juicing VEGGIES helped me get use to the change in my diet lifestyle.

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I guess I am not understanding what the benefit is to juicing these fruits and veggies instead of just eating them? I am not being a smart ass. I seriously am asking...
    Cha-cha-cha changes.... turn and face the strange...

My journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread66276.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    30 days of indiscretion, followed by 40 days of straight-up blood-sugar bombs? You'll just hurt yourself even worse.

The best way to get back into primal is to get back into primal. If you feel the need to get radical, try a Whole30 or a Leptin Reset.
    This...

Juice is not food, and is not a solution to anything IMO.
    No protein, no fat, no solids... NO satiety!

Sounds like a recipe for rebounding!

Need to lose weight... eat real meat and vegetables. Skip the fruit, nuts, and dairy for a bit.
    Make sure there is some fat in your food, either naturally in the cut of meat or add some... yes, adding fat is OK in moderation.
    But remember... calories do matter.
    Last edited by cori93437; 10-02-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast