Thread: I feel like I've been hit by a truck! page

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member

I'm 4 days into really restricting my carbs (down to 100 gm/day approx, no sugar or grains). My first two days the universe was conspiring against me and I did great until dinner, and then tanked. But the past two days I've done really well, and planned dinner more appropriatly. Last night was my first night back at Yoga after having a baby (she's 10 weeks old). It's a beginner class, but I know I pushed it. This morning I woke up with nausea, headache, the runs, and feeling like I've been hit by a truck. So two questions:

1) I think maybe the combination of the new diet and the return to yoga may have mobilized some toxins. Has this happened to anyone else just starting out? I'm also transitioning from Traditional Foods, so I eat a lot of raw and home cultured product, any one of which could possibly be a culprit. I'm careful with my cultures, but you never know.

2) What do you eat when the only thing that sounds settling to your stomach is soda crackers and ginger ale? I've been 4 days off the soda, and I had a little bit today just to settle my stomach and it helped.

Thanks for any insight!

mikesic is offline Junior Member

a water only fast is great to relieve stomach issues.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

First question----are you breastfeeding?

Sooze

Yes. And I'm aware that toxins mobilized in my body can end up in my milk and I don't want to put an unnesssicary toxic burden on my little one. So that is another thing I'm worried about.

But I also feel that being a healthy mom is in my kids best interest. There has to be a happy medium?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Of course, it's ideal to go without ANY grains, but for most people a non-gluten grain is better than a gluten grain.

If you must have something to settle your stomach, is white rice a possiblity instead of the (wheat-based) soda crackers?

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

DebFM is offline Senior Member

You're going to burn fat regardless when you're breastfeeding, as to what ends up in your breastmilk...? I'm not sure. Breastfeeding is still the best thing for your babe, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It sounds like you may have a real virus or you could have "low-carb flu" (nausea, headache, dizziness, intestinal trouble, feeling like heck in general). The majority of the LCF passes after a couple days.

Again, wouldn't worry too much about the home-cultured stuff. I've been making home-cultured veggies for years & when they're off, you know it. You won't get past the smell.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

dang, sounds like you have a stomach virus to me. : ( I had it recently and I felt wiped out, runs, headache, small fever, nausea... it sucked.. lasted for 4 days.

I'd almost rather it just be a stomach virus than a response to the diet. The past two days I had so much energy, and totally didn't get that 3:00 a$$ dragging feeling that I usually have. Then today I slept (lightly on the couch, I have three kids to look after) until about noon.

Sharon C. is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Remember that your body is going to withdrawal from the grains & sugar. You'll probably feel lousy for a little bit.

P.S. Edited to add: I think I felt lousy while my body had to figure out that it was expected to start burning fat instead of carbs. But once it realized what fuel there was plenty of, I felt much better.