Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greek Yogurt page

kfine Guest

Would you consider greek yogurt primal? I am guessing no, because it is dairy? Mark does make reference to it in the book however, or was that to cottage cheese....thanks in advance!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

Well its better than reg yogurt b/c supposedly the sugars drain out in the whey when it is strained.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

My guess is that no dairy is primal. However, dairy products sort of emulate meat in terms of protein and fat.

TT, I don't think there us any whey coming out of yogurt. I've made it myself in years past. It's just all goo. Having just typed that, I wonder if maybe there is some separation of components with unhomogenized milk.

Conan Guest

I think greek yogurt is fine if you aren't lactose intolerant. It isn't Paleo approved but it does have some beneficial health effects.

62shelby Guest

the whey drains off when you strain it ie line a colander that is suspended by a bowl with cheesecloth, pour yogurt in and let it strain for a few hours to get thicker yogurt or 24 hours for yogurt cheese (in fridge).

I occasionally strain some organic cow or goat commercial, but my favourite is Fage, in very small doses, though I would like to do a face plant in a giant tub of it a la scarface

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member

OTB- when I make mine I strain it and I get whey. Maybe we are doing it differently. I have done it both with conventional and raw milk. Ill post a tutorial on my blog and link it so you can see soon.

As I said, not totally primal, but better than conventional yogurt. Some people are okay with dairy and some arent. If youre the former, I would say yogurt could be a 20% thing.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

kathy wright Guest

i usually buy the 0% Fage Greek Yogurt - should i switch to the "whole" version instead since the Primal Blueprint book states to eat "high fat" dairy if you're going to eat it at all? this is confusing.

I am confused to. I do now buy 100% full fat Greek Yogurt, but every time I indulge (1/2 - 1 cup with Walnuts and a tad of Maple Syrup), I feel like the 'dairy' is going to 'stall' my weight-loss :-(

But it's my 'one treat' (when berries are all gone).

62shelby Guest

I have seen Mark suggest Fage Total. Its hard to eat much of it as its so rich, in fact it has cream in it.

nutritional info here

http://www.fageusa.com/products.aspx...oducts/classic

kathy wright Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

sassafrass88 - i'm not trying to lose weight at all but it still seems so strange to me to be buying the full fat Fage. I had one container this morning with 1/2 banana sliced & 1 Tbs almond butter - delicious!

62shelby - thanks for the Fage link. After reading it I got the idea of maybe using the plain Fage yogurt in place of mayonnaise since most all mayonnaise in the stores have canola oil in them which canola oil is to be avoided according to Primal Blueprint.

hopefully someone else will pop in here & shed some light on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast