Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition in the fat from beef heart. page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Nutrition in the fat from beef heart.

Primal Fuel
    Google fail. Anybody know more about the fat from the heart on a cow? It's delicious and abundant, and affordable. I was hoping for some kind of info about the electrolytes, fat types, etc. in it.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I bought a beef heart and there was hardly any fat on it at all. Instructions I read online said to cut it off along with the connective tissue that it's attached to all around the heart. I spent the whole week eating my beef heart last week. I don't have any answers for you about what qualities the fat will have. But I have read the heart itself has a lot of CoQ10 so maybe the fat has some, too.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    I know that heart has one of the highest CoQ10 concentrations.

Here's a breakdown of heart, from a cow with a non-specified diet: Show Foods
    And here's a grass-fed steak breakdown: Show Foods

From looking at the data, looks like the unspecified-diet heart has twice the zinc, 4-5 times more thiamine, 9 times more riboflavin, over quadruple the b12, a bit more niacin, BUT has only 1/3 the b6 of steak, only 1/6 the folate, and some other little differences.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm.....never figured heart was worth eating. I just thought it was plain old muscle meat. Maybe I'll give it a try.

To the OP - I didn't know there was fat associated with heart tissue. The heart I've seen does not have fat on it - are you sure it is not kidney fat?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

The heart I got looked like these:

Is all that white matter on the top not fat?

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, mine came with fat like that, but all the recipe videos and things I looked up said to cut it off as it's mixed with connective tissue. I suppose you could render it, but that won't answer your question as to what, if anything, makes the fat there differently nutritious from other fat.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Oh, well. It's better than bone marrow and I'm just going to eat it. The cordae tendonae actually soften up a bit and are easy to swallow. As for the valves, they cooked soft just fine. I seriously have eaten every bite, top to bottom, except for the few slices I have left in the freezer.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I usually give the super-chewy parts around the arteries to my dog. He loves them and I'm not crazy about having to chew that hard.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    I think I read somewhere that the fat around the heart is "more saturated" than subcutaneous fat?
    Anyway, if you cut it off and render it, you get gorgeous rock-hard white tallow
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

vnvdvci is offline Member
    Huh...I trimmed away the fat in my beef heart since it was filled with so much connective tissue. I just wanted to do a quick sear and there was no way that fat and tissue would've cooked down.

There're also those little strings that are in there which I trim away. They seemed like they would cook up like rubber bands.

And all that trouble is why I haven't gotten beef heart since, lol. Maybe I should consider it for slow cooking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast