Thread: Weird blood lipid numbers? page

SophieE is offline Senior Member

Question Weird blood lipid numbers?

A year ago (pre-primal), I had my cholesterol etc measured (I'm only 22 but my brother convinced me that with the amount of butter I ate I needed to get it checked out!) and the doctor says the numbers were "excellent" but they look nothing like the numbers other people on MDA talk about. They are much smaller. Is this a different system and can anyone make sense of this?:

Total: 4.1
    LDL: 1.3
    HDL: 2.3
    Triglicerides:1.1

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    yes there are two methods and a google search will show you the conversion factors but since your HDL is higher than you Triglicerides and higher than your LDL, I would say you have little to worry about.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Your numbers are in mmol/L. For TC, HDL and LDL the conversion factor is 39. For TG it is 89. Great HDL. TG is little high but should have come down on primal. TC good by CW, low by paleo standards. Has probably risen on primal

Nothing to worry about, especially at your age
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok I have more time so I will explain it.

In the US they use mass concentration mg/dL, miligram per decalitre - In some countires they use mg/liter
    In commonwealth and some european countries they use molar concentration if you remember your basic high school chemistry. This is mmol/L Milllimole per litre
    your numbers convert to US standards as follows - according to this calculator OnlineConversion.com - Cholesterol Converter
    4.1 = 158 total
    1.3 = 50 LDL
    5.3 = 89 HDL
    1.1 = 97 Tri