Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why did ketosis raise my blood sugar? (Type 1 Diabetic) page 3

Terry H is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And I love not being constantly hungry, too!

It's great. I was having a horrible craving for carbs late -afternoon after going gluten-free. After about 2 weeks and an inc. in fat I was able to ride it out. This PB/Paleo approach seems to work!

jfrendek is offline Senior Member
    When your body undergoes stress (such as adapting to fat burning or exercise) cortisol is released and/or adrenaline. This is to keep your blood sugar from going too low as it stimulates stored glucose release from the liver. Being a type 1 diabetic you do not produce the insulin needed to quickly drive the level of glucose back down. This is one of the truly sucky things about trying to emulate a pancreas with a needle. I am not a doctor though so take it for what it's worth.

richthediabetic is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrendek View Post
    When your body undergoes stress (such as adapting to fat burning or exercise) cortisol is released and/or adrenaline. This is to keep your blood sugar from going too low as it stimulates stored glucose release from the liver. Being a type 1 diabetic you do not produce the insulin needed to quickly drive the level of glucose back down. This is one of the truly sucky things about trying to emulate a pancreas with a needle. I am not a doctor though so take it for what it's worth.
    That makes perfect sense actually! That's gotta be what's happening, especially since Terry H says that he goes through this each time he enters ketosis, and it lasts for about a week, then he levels off. Thanks for your reply JFrendek. I'll ask my doctor about all this when I see him next week.

Update: Ok, been in and out of ketosis for 5 days now. A moment ago though, I measured a "Trace" of ketones with my Ketostix, AND a blood sugar of 64! Terry H, maybe my body has become accustomed to being in ketosis now?!

stephen is offline Junior Member
    My 14 year old younger sister who has type 1 diabetes experienced severe hyperglycemia (every morning she woke up with a BS between 400-600) the first three days she began eating a Primal diet. She also required much more insulin to normalize her blood sugar throughout the day. She has been Primal for a few weeks now, and her blood sugar has completely stabilized. Before becoming Primal, her blood sugar was all over the place. Now, she has a great range of normal blood sugars throughout the day and requires less insulin than before to bring her BS down when she has a mildly elevated BS.

This was the topic of a recent Robb Wolf podcast. He didn't have much to say past the initial stress of switching to a ketogenic/Paleo/Primal diet led to cortisol/glucagon secretion which led to gluconeogenesis.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    My 14 year old younger sister who has type 1 diabetes experienced severe hyperglycemia (every morning she woke up with a BS between 400-600) the first three days she began eating a Primal diet. She also required much more insulin to normalize her blood sugar throughout the day. She has been Primal for a few weeks now, and her blood sugar has completely stabilized. Before becoming Primal, her blood sugar was all over the place. Now, she has a great range of normal blood sugars throughout the day and requires less insulin than before to bring her BS down when she has a mildly elevated BS.

This was the topic of a recent Robb Wolf podcast. He didn't have much to say past the initial stress of switching to a ketogenic/Paleo/Primal diet led to cortisol/glucagon secretion which led to gluconeogenesis.
    Thanks, for providing this anecdote
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Rich,

I'm also a type 1. I disocvered Dr. Bernstein (and Paleo) at about the same time, and was amazed at the parallels.

Since discovering both, I've been down around 5.2 on my HbA1Cs, so this works, and even better, my insulin requirement are about 30% of what they were prior to going low carb/primal (both, I mean, as they are different animals).

One thing I did notice, though, is that milk/dairy causes me sugar spikes. If I put a bit of heavy cream in my morning coffee, I need 3 times the amount of insulin to keep my blood sugar from going up. If I have some milk before bed, I wake up sugar high. You might want to see if that impacts you.

Basically, though, I went for the LCD between Bernstein and Primal. IE the most restrictive of both. It is working. I now keep my blood sguars in the 85 - 95 range pretty much all day, though compensating for exercise will cause some greater fluctuations, though still not bad.

It just takes patience and a boat-load of blood sugar test strips. Now that I've established a "baseline", I'm down to using ~6 a day.

--Me

P.S. My goal is to get below a 5 on HbA1Cs sustainably (without, of course, scary sugar lows).

Thanks for the posts Stephen and Adamm. I've discovered that there are quite a few type 1's that have this challenge when they start a ketosis diet. My mistake was in trying to bring myself OUT of ketosis. I've been on a rollercoaster ever since. I need to just jump back in and stay there for the rest of my life to get my A1C down. I've also received Dr. Bernstein's book and hope to start reading it tonight. Again, thanks everyone. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

That podcast that Robb Wolf did on this subject was MY question to him. When they read the question on the air, I referenced this very thread, but not by name.

I actually just received a Medtronic CGM, and get my nurse training next Monday so I'm hoping that can help me too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123