Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnocchi? page

amberlink09 is offline Junior Member

Gnocchi?

Primal Fuel
    It just occurred to me that primal gnocchi might be doable, I know it would technically be a "cheat," but would leave my stomach feeling a lot better than if I ate a bowl of pasta instead. I've come across two recipes

Cauliflower Gnocchi « <-- On this one I am thinking of replacing the cauliflower with butternut squash or something.

The Urban Poser:: Baked Rosemary, Almond & Butternut Squash Gnocchi (gluten free) <-- But I'm not sure about baking the gnocchi.

Has anyone tried to make gnocchi before? I'd love some advice before I waste a ton of flour.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Gnocchi is straight-up potato mash boiled in water. What's not primal about that? Once cooked, fry off in some nuts and fat.

Butternut squash will work out well, as will cauliflower mixed with cheese ... get a goat or sheep cheese to blend in. Be aware that butternut squash will be very wet and it will fall apart unless the squash is bound with something ... eggs?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Gnocchi is straight-up potato mash boiled in water. What's not primal about that? Once cooked, fry off in some nuts and fat.
    No it isn't! At least not the gnocchi I've ever had. Its boiled potato mixed with flour and then boiled again.

Quote Originally Posted by amberlink09 View Post
    Has anyone tried to make gnocchi before? I'd love some advice before I waste a ton of flour.
    I haven't specifically tried gnocchi but I made some tasty dumpling kind of things last week out of almond flour, almond butter, coconut flour and egg (plus hot sauce, salt and pepper!) and they reminded me of gnocchi. So I have been thinking about trying some gnocchi. Just need to find some time for experimenting in the kitchen.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I used boied, mashed and cooled potato rolled in potato flour, boiled, then lightly fried in olive oil. Served with cavolo nero and pan-fried tilapia: living in the ice age: Pan Fried Tilapia with Cavolo Nero and Potato Gnocchi

Method from: Perfect Health Diet » Gnocchi

patski is offline Senior Member
    You could probably make some bad-ass gnocchi with sweet potatoes!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I haven't made them myself but I have seen recipes for ricotta gnocchi. This recipe Low Carb Ricotta Gnocchi Recipe - Food.com - 115140 has only a little flour and potato flour could be substituted.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Time to resurrect an old thread. This is my gnocchi recipe:

- 1kg of Bintje potatoes
    - 400g of gluten free flour (can be a mix of rice / tapioca / potato starches, buckwheat, teff, any starchy flour without gluten)
    - 50g butter
    - 2 large eggs
    - salt
    - some flavor like onion, garlic, paprika, nutmeg powders
    - 1 Tbsp of oil (I used macadamia)

Instructions:
    - peel potatoes, cut them into chunks (don't mind the size) and throw them in a pot of salted water. Let them boil until soft enough
    - remove the water, and put the cooked potato chunks in a bowl. Add the butter and mash them with a fork until you get a purée-like result
    - let the purée cool down for 30mn-1h
    - on your table top (clean and dry), poor the flour, mix in the salt and powders, make a rough hole in the middle and add the oil and the eggs in
    - with your fingers, blend the flour mix and eggs (yeah, use your fingers ) until roughly mixed
    - add the potato purée to the flour-eggs mix and mix well with both hands. Can take some time but do it this way, you need to get a smooth result. Add some more flour if it gets a little sticky. In the end, you get a big blob of smooth potato dough.
    - cut the dough in 5 or 6 pieces of roughly the same size
    - on the table top, poor a little bit of flour and roll each dough piece until you get a long rather thin sausage (1.5-2cm diameter)
    - cut gnocchis at 45 degrees, not 90 degrees with respect to the length of the sausage, and place them on a large tray
    - let them rest a little while you bring a large saucepan of water and salt to a boiling point (not hard boiling)
    - place the gnocchis in the water and wait until they come back floating on the water. That's when they are done.
    - remove water and put gnocchis in a large bowl

"Sauce": grate some parmigiano reggiano (~ 50g), melt 100g of butter, chop some basil leaves. poor melted butter on gnocchis, add grated parm and chopped basil on top. Pepper to taste.

Enjoy

Dulcimina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amberlink09 View Post
    It just occurred to me that primal gnocchi might be doable, I know it would technically be a "cheat," but would leave my stomach feeling a lot better than if I ate a bowl of pasta instead. I've come across two recipes

Cauliflower Gnocchi « <-- On this one I am thinking of replacing the cauliflower with butternut squash or something.

The Urban Poser:: Baked Rosemary, Almond & Butternut Squash Gnocchi (gluten free) <-- But I'm not sure about baking the gnocchi.

I've used this recipe twice. The first time it was great. I even froze them, and popped the frozen dough straight into boiling water. The second time I followed the same recipe, but the gnocchi fell apart as soon as they hit the water (fresh, not frozen). I'm tempted by FrenchFry's recipe because the measuring the ingredients by weight might make the recipe more reproducible.

whistlerski is offline Junior Member
    yea gnocchi is one of those things where it really doesnt make a difference to use a gluten free flour. Rice flour or potato starch will both work great in a traditional potato gnocchi recipe.

youtacolot is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There's a gnocchi recipe in Sarah Fragoso's Italian Paleo book. I think she calls for white sweet potatoes and almond flour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast