Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to buy at a big Asian supermarket page

Nick5a1 is offline Junior Member

Question What to buy at a big Asian supermarket

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I have a small supermarket near me with limited organic fare and no grass fed meat or dairy. There is however another very big Asian supermarket also near me. I've been in there a few times but don't recognise a lot of the foods and a lot of the packaging description is often in some kind of asian writing. If you had access to a large Asian supermarket what kind of healthy products would you look for?

Thanks!
    Nick

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    I had access to a large Asian supermarket until last year and while I normally didn't buy anything that was packaged, I would frequently buy the Okinawan (purple) sweet potatoes! Yum!

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    Agar, seaweed, fish, seasonings/spices, cooking utensils, edamame....there's so many good things!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    My Chinese supermarket staples are dried seaweed, dried mushrooms, purple sweet potatoes, Chinese vegetables (napa cabbage, gai lan, garlic chives, and amaranth are my favorite), and fresh seafood (from the tank, preferably). Oh! And duck/chicken gizzard/heart.

Other Primal things you could get are canned coconut milk, fresh coconut (both young Thai and mature), goat meat, oxtail, tendon, other ruminant innards, miso, and quail eggs. Yum!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    There is an Asian supermarket near me, and they have great prices on fish and meats. I did notice though that a lot of the frozen fish had water and salt added to the ingredients. Not sure if that makes it something I should stay away from or not.

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    My Chinese supermarket staples are dried seaweed, dried mushrooms, purple sweet potatoes, Chinese vegetables (napa cabbage, gai lan, garlic chives, and amaranth are my favorite), and fresh seafood (from the tank, preferably). Oh! And duck/chicken gizzard/heart.

Other Primal things you could get are canned coconut milk, fresh coconut (both young Thai and mature), goat meat, oxtail, tendon, other ruminant innards, miso, and quail eggs. Yum!
    All this, and add whole duck ($9.99, Canadian duck - not China LOL) and also THINLY sliced Korean style pork belly/butt which makes an awesome, awesome bacon substitute. They're usually sold rolled into little fingers, frozen. We don't eat toxic processed bacon anymore since discovering Korean style sliced meat. I add sea salt and potassium, and it is the best breakfast meat!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrokON View Post
    All this, and add whole duck ($9.99, Canadian duck - not China LOL) and also THINLY sliced Korean style pork belly/butt which makes an awesome, awesome bacon substitute. They're usually sold rolled into little fingers, frozen. We don't eat toxic processed bacon anymore since discovering Korean style sliced meat. I add sea salt and potassium, and it is the best breakfast meat!
    +1 on the pork butt.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lssanjose View Post
    +1 on the pork butt.
    +2. I gorge myself on AYCE KBBQ on mainly the pork butt.

mrsmcmeaty is offline Member
    If the food has a list of ingredients, even in another language, you're probably better off not eating it!

Apart from dried mushrooms and seaweed, a lot of Asian product have msg and some wacky colourings that are best avoided.

Even the coconut milk and cream at my locl have 3-4 additives.
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Get a durian.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast