Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Me Do This: Stopping the Sugar Binge page

callmeA is offline Junior Member

Help Me Do This: Stopping the Sugar Binge

Primal Fuel
    You can call me A.

This morning I sugar binged for the last time in my life. I have been (attempted) primal for about three months now. I am capable of it, definitely, but every five days or so I slip, just a tiny slip, and fall into a compelte orgy of carbs, sugars, aand other stuff that I know has NO right to be in my body.

My problem is this: any miniscule amount of sugar (even fruit sugar) sends me spiraling into a cycle of sug.r, renunciation, self-loathing, and sugar again. This is bad for my body, mind, emotions....all of me. And as much as I try to remain paleo/primal, if I make so much as one misstep I end up thinking, "well...might as well just pig out". Well NOT ANYMOREn Gone are the days oreos, sugary cereal, chocolate chips..things that dont even taste good, things that give me a pounding headache, yet things I crave terribly and binge on simply for that momentary high. I am not drastically overweight, but I feel terrible. I am 17 years old, 5'3", and 125 lbs. I woukd like to stabilize around 110 and stay there comfortably but THIS JOURNEY IS NOT ABOUT MY WEIGHT OR HOW I LOOK. This is about shaking my addiction to the poison that is sugar and carbs. This is about regaining control, letting something other than food be at the center of my life.

Today at 2:00 I began a 24 hour fast to cleanse my body of the ridiculous amounts of crap I have eaten. Tomorrow at 2:00 I will eat, and from that point on, nothing but veggies, meat, eggs, tea, and coffee (and water, of course) will pass my lips. I hope to break this addiction in 70 days, cold turkey. In 70 days I will be 18, truly an adult, truly free of the problem that has plagued me for years. This will be incredibly difficult, but it is a journey of healing, a struggle for health. And I hope with time a healthy lifestlye will be effortless.

Thank you for helping me to do this. Simply by reading you are holding me accountable to keep my promise to myself and to my body.

It begins now.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to give one point of advice:

No matter how many times you fall off the wagon, get back on. Eventually you'll stop falling off.

Good luck hun.

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    hey, A : )

I just wanted to give you a few words of encouragement. First of all, it's so great that you are working toward becoming 100% primal. I can totally relate to your sugar cravings because mine used to be pretty powerful. Just remember that your old way of eating was the result of 19 years of an accumulation of poor eating habits. Of course you're going to have a lapse.

Also, you probably haven't been cooking for yourself for very long and it's super easy to run out for a pint of ice cream or grab something sugary when you're on the run. The key is to make sure you've got lovely, tasty fatty foods to quickly prepare when you're hungry - and you're still 19 so you're still GROWING for goodness sakes! You've got more reason to be hungry than someone 10 or 20 years older than you.

My weakness is breads and any salty snack that comes in a bag - chips, crisps, popcorn - but you know what? Ever since I've upped the good fats in my diet my cravings have shot down to zero. ZERO CRAVINGS. Don't deny yourself completely. Small amounts of raw honey are absolutely delicious and a couple of teaspoons a day won't do you any harm. I bake apples with cinnamon, butter and a drizzle of agave nectar and that's an incredibly tasty treat that feels like an indulgence.

And there are loads of great primal recipes that can satisfy a sweet tooth. Just remember to eat them in moderation. Once or twice a week. If you increase your fat intake you'll find the cravings just go away. And you're right, those sugary processed snacks don't even TASTE good. Your cravings are very much a mental habit that you'll find disappears when you're feeding your body delicious whole fats, proteins and veggies.

Good luck and never give up!
    Ali
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

chilledc is offline Junior Member
    Hey A!

I have battled, and am battling, similar problems. I astound myself at how much I can binge when I break my primal way of eating.

As another poster said, just get back on the wagon and do the next positive thing you can. These lapses will happen - you don't need the additional pressure of beating yourself up over them.

Good luck,

C

Thanks for all the support everyone!! I'm still feeling sick from all the sugar this morning so I'm at that point where I feel like I'll never want it again...but of course that won't last. Here's to the first week....

Raphaella is offline Senior Member
    I could have written that CallmeA! So horrible being completely controlled by an inanimate object huh? I will say that, as completely sugar-addicted as I've been my whole life, once I started eating animal fat my cravings instantly disappeared. I render my own tallow and lard and cook with it and sometimes just lick a little off a spoon by itself.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm a sugar addict as well. I'll be cheering you on and watching your progress

Good luck!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

finished the sugar binge off with some chocolate chips yesterday...yet another sign of how much I need to kick the sugar fix. Couldnt sleep all night thinking about how awful I felt but the good thing is I had planned to do some 6am hot yoga with my sis. Whoo cleansing!! Today it officially starts!! wish me luck!!

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    I feel your pain as well..I was 13 days in and had some sugar yesterday,probably as a result of having pure organic orange juice.
    Like you,fruit puts me into sugar mode,hence the chocolate last night and today.
    I am getting right back on the wagon and not thinking about it again.It wasn't a wheat binge,I can get past it.
    I wish you all the luck and look forward to hearing more about your journey!

feeling totally cleansed and ready to do this after that early hot yoga session!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast