Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypoglycemia page 2

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yes, My hypoglycemia came on when I added a "Bootcamp" style class in addition to my LHT and sprint days.

Just find the right carb level for you. I have lost 60 lbs, but still have 40+ to go. My best carb level is 75-100. Depending on your size, you may be able to eat more and maintain.

One way to do it is Figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate. Then add in activity with the Harris Benedict Equation. See link below.

BMR Calculator

Then decide how much protein you need in grams. Protein grams x 4 then subtract from ttl calories. Do the same with carbs. I would start with 100-150. Carb grams x 4 then subtract from calories left after protein is subtracted. The rest of you calories can come from healthy fats.

Me: BMR + Harris Bene 2600 cals ( I aim to eat 1800)

100g protein x 4 = 400 1400cals

100g carb x4 = 400 1000 cals left for fat

I don't track now but did in the beginning to make sure I was hitting my targets. I hope you can use this info.
    Thank you so much for this info Pebbles67 :-) I am in the exact same boat as you and I cannot lose weight on VLC to save myself. I noticed I also feel alot better with the inclusion of some carbs (fruit and root veggies). As for the exercise I now walk for an hour a day 4 times a week and do resistance training on the other 3 days making sure it's not too strenuous as I get burnt out really quickly otherwise. I will definately be using this info as my caloric intake daily worked out about the same as yours (mine is around 2400 daily) but I'm going to be aiming for 1700. Maybe the reason I haven't been able to lose anything is from under-eating as I am pretty sure I must have only been eating around the 1200 cal a day mark at best! Yay!! More food + weight loss + cabs could be my dream come true!

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    I do believe that many people fall into an under eating trap like I did. Glad I could help. I think there is also a fear that if we are tracking and measuring macros and (gasp!) calories, that it is no longer intuitive and therefore not Primal. Even Mark recommends trying to hit certain levels of Protein and Carbs. I see nothing wrong with finding out exactly what our bodies need and making sure we hit those goals. BTW after a while, it does become intuitive again-tracking is not forever.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

jb0055 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the feedback. Today is the first day I have felt "normal" in over 3 weeks. Weird thing is I haven't gained any weight and I've been eating like a horse this week! I'm checking my blood sugar twice a day, my numbers look good and there are no major fluctuations. I plan on easing back into my workout routine tomorrow, I'll probably just walk a mile at a slow pace and see how I feel those first few days. If all goes well I'll move up to 2 miles and probably work in some strength training couple days a week. That's probably as much as I'm willing to do for the next few months. I'm scared to death of having another hypo event and never want that to happen again! Amazing what a few potatoes and rice will do for a person.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    jb0055 I'm very glad to hear this. I understand. My symptoms were terrifying and sent me into panic attacks. I am amazingly grateful just to feel normal.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12