Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: snacks page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

snacks

Primal Fuel
    It seem like in the last few years snacks have become very fashionable. Everyone likes to discuss how "important" it is to snack throughout the day, to "keep the blood sugar stable". People are advised to make sure they have "healthy snacks" onhand etc. Dr. Oz suggests that you snack before your actual meal to make sure you eat less.

Not snacking is considered strange, deprivational, and also seems to be tied in to the belief that if you don't snack you might god forbid get hungry then have a binge and then oh no, you're socially unacceptable. Snacking certainly seems to be taking its place in the "healthy eating" world as being very important, something everyone must learn to do.

So what is your take on this. Do we need snacks or not?

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    We absolutely do not need snacks and you can blame snacking for a lot of our health problems.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Yeah, no snacking! I love eating two meals per day with no snacks in between. What used to be hunger pangs in my SAD days are now a kind of euphoria and clean feeling since going Primal.

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you need to snack you are sick
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Oh wow good point, I got into a debate the other day about this and was roundly criticised by the SAD and CW views. It's easier just not to talk about it! The thing I find interesting is just how much conviction people have in their views which when challenged, are basically based on nothing other than pop culture messages.

Specifically on the snacking, I don't snack at all anymore - I admit I still get hungry though. I just tough it out until the next meal.
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Snacking makes me binge~ sets off Limbic hunger. If we were meant to be grazers, we'd have four stomachs and chew our cud to maintain blood sugar levels

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Yep, eat 'properly' and you won't need or want to snack.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Our ancestors might well have "snacked" on berries in season. Beyond that, they probably would not have. Taking a hint from our ancestors is useful, but not essential. Going from meal to meal, savouring hunger in between works out well. Eat fully when you do, don't both in between.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    omg thank goodness that I no longer snack during the day (still have a chocolate/nut problem at night that is getting progressively better) I used to reach for some popcorn or something when I was bored/stressed at work. Now I don't eat anything at all and the people I am working with, who snack constantly throughout the day, think I am uber depriving myself. -.-"

Domino Theory is offline Junior Member
    Biologically, snacks aren't needed at all. You actually have better & more stable blood sugar with lower meal frequency.

In any other respect, snacks might be necessary for certain individuals. I'm a veracious and 'powerful' eater - that is, if I want to eat, I want my meals to be LARGE and filling in every aspect, even if that means I can only do that by having two meals a day (which is what I do in addition to IF).

But others simply need to keep munching on something in which case I would advise for snacking. If chewing on a piece of gum or having 1/2 cups of nuts right now is going to prevent you from overeating or binging on donuts later on in the day, then have that snack by all means.
    Fasting Evangelist - Embrace nothing, get everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast