Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the public's perception of intermittent fasting page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

the public's perception of intermittent fasting

The general public is hostile towards the paleo/primal diet but even more so I have noticed about intermittent fasting. You start talking about skipping meals and going long periods between meals and people practically go off the deep end. I just been asked on another forum in which people are following a similar diet to primal to discontinue mentioning IF. It is disturbing their community they say. Well, hmmmmm.......... I am a Hunter genotype and believe this is darned good advice for anyone with similar genes. But otoh, people of all blood types have fasted for thousands of years. Only here in America have we invented the 3 meal a day convention that causes more problems than it solves. And no, Americans, it isn't healthy.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    To be fair, it does sound super unhealthy if you're not hep to the science behind it. It sounds more like an anorexia starvation tactic than a legitimate health practice. And I say this as someone who does IF.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    To be fair, it does sound super unhealthy if you're not hep to the science behind it. It sounds more like an anorexia starvation tactic than a legitimate health practice. And I say this as someone who does IF.
    It's just so freaking lame I'm sorry. The public is dumber than a doornail and hopelessly programmed.

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    It's just so freaking lame I'm sorry. The public is dumber than a doornail and hopelessly programmed.
    Aye, but it's always gonna be like that. I think the general public just doesn't give a damn, so they eat what's given to them. I mean, we've got other things to worry about, so it's a lot more convenient listening to CW, oprah, Dr oz, etc.. than looking into it yourself.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    People who finish dinner at 7 and don't eat again until breakfast at 7 the next morning are already fasting for 12 hours at a stretch, and this is considered completely normal. Extend the fast to 16 or 18 hours by skipping your hearty breakfast of Wheaties and Sunny D, though, and you're obviously killing yourself Personally, I've never cared for breakfast, even during my worst implementations of the SAD. Giving it up entirely (apart from morning coffee) has been a relief.

sugarcrystal8 is offline Member
    Yeah, it's too bad it's that way. I get the same reaction when I tell people I IF. Funny thing is that I used to believe that myself. I'm insulin resistant and was told by doctor's that I needed to eat 6 small meals a day to keep my insulin even. I'd get the shakes and dizzy when I went too long without food.

I read up on IF when starting primal and thought it wouldn't work for me but decided to give it a try after doing more research. I was surprised that my body responded well to it. I NEVER get the shakes anymore from not eating and I don't eat after 7pm at night and usually don't eat the next day until noon or later. I really couldn't believe how much better I felt.

My point being that if I hadn't experimented myself I would've never seen how great it works for me. So I usually tell my story to people when they get all negative about IF, what they choose to do with the info is up to them.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't told anyone except my mum and husband about my now daily IF, who have heard all about my primal journey as I've got more and more into it, and know about my weight/metabolic troubles. I figure it's no one elses business, and I KNOW that if I told other people I would immediately get sh*t and be judged and they'd start flinging words like eating disorder. But I know that the meals I do eat are hearty, balanced, lots of veg, lean meat, and are much healthier than some of the meals I see my friends eat.

So unfortunately I find it just easier not to tell, unless I am speaking to a fellow convert. That's why I love reading these boards.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarcrystal8 View Post
    Yeah, it's too bad it's that way. I get the same reaction when I tell people I IF. Funny thing is that I used to believe that myself. I'm insulin resistant and was told by doctor's that I needed to eat 6 small meals a day to keep my insulin even. I'd get the shakes and dizzy when I went too long without food.

I read up on IF when starting primal and thought it wouldn't work for me but decided to give it a try after doing more research. I was surprised that my body responded well to it. I NEVER get the shakes anymore from not eating and I don't eat after 7pm at night and usually don't eat the next day until noon or later. I really couldn't believe how much better I felt.

My point being that if I hadn't experimented myself I would've never seen how great it works for me. So I usually tell my story to people when they get all negative about IF, what they choose to do with the info is up to them.
    +1

I have always been interested in healthier eating/holistic stuff, as a kid I gave up chocolate and candy for a while because I heard somewhere that eating too much could make you diabetic, and in high school, about 15 years ago, I gave up sugar again (my parents served me a sweet potato with a candle in it for my 18th birthday! I was always open minded about trying new 'healthy things', and honestly, if someone had started talking about IFing, I would have instantly associating it with starvation and anorexia and crashing your metabolism, because I was surrounded by nothing but CW info about eating frequent small meals.

It's only been in the last few months that I've started IFing (and now that I do, I could never go back to 3 meals a day and heaven forbid snacking!). What made the difference? Being able to read articles from various sources citing solid research about how healthy and beneficial it is, reading about people's personal experiences with it, and taking the time to mull it all over and give it a try for myself. Oh ya, and already eating a high protein/moderate to low carb diet that keeps my hunger well regulated. Fasting when not keto-adapted or whatever you want to call is pure hell, and if people eating mostly SAD foods attempted IFing, they likely would have blood sugar crashes and be a walking nightmare, so it doesn't surprise me if they think it's a bad thing.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    I never had a weight problem until I started eating breakfast. At the time, there wasn't anyone that said it was okay to skip meals if you weren't hungry, but many that parroted the *breakfast is the most important meal* dogma. I thought I needed to 'eat healthier' Boy was I wrong!!

In retrospect, considering our caveman heritage, eating in the morning probably is the least important meal~ otherwise, why would we have approximately 3 days of glycogen stored in our liver? I IF because it feels more natural to me~ not hungry yet, and it's after 2pm. Why burden my body with digestion when I'm not done 'hunting' yet?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Intermittent fasting? How will I get my 6 small grain-laden meals per day in if I do that?!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast