Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any mushroom hunters out there? page

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member

Any mushroom hunters out there?

Primal Fuel
    Just thought I'd see if there are any mushroom hunters out there. If so what are you finding and what are your favorites, maybe share recipes.

We just love finding mushrooms, bringing them home and making tasty meals with them. This last week we discovered Black Trumpets, they are now my new favorite. Yesterday I found Horn of Plenty which are also good but not quite as flavorful as the trumpets. Both can be dried which is nice.

We are heading out this afternoon to see we can collect some more before the rains come.

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    I grew up hunting morels in southern Illinois and my mouth still waters at the thought of them. Sure wish they would grow in south Florida!
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I find chanterelles, Hericium ramosa, small and giant puffballs so far. Chanterelles are easy to figure out how to prepare. Hericium more difficult. The ones I found were kinda dry so not good. Next year I know where to find them so I can get them fresh. Pan-fried in butter works for those. Puffballs are surprisingly good in soup.

I have a mushroom expert friend and he jokes someday we'll do a backpack trip across the state of Washington with only a cast iron skillet and a couple pounds of butter. He's actually not quite joking. I'd definitely be up for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Morels! I still haven't had them and I so want to!

This was a good year for chanterelles and you pretty much can't go wrong cooking them. I love the idea of hiking and cooking, 2 of my favorite things.

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a mushroom expert friend and he jokes someday we'll do a backpack trip across the state of Washington with only a cast iron skillet and a couple pounds of butter. He's actually not quite joking. I'd definitely be up for it.
    Sounds like quite an adventure vacation to me!
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Definitely...hunted ever since I was very little. Out here in CA favorites are chanterelles, morels, oysters, porcini, and coccoras (insert obligatory "Amanitas can be dangerous" disclaimer here). Afraid I'm not much for recipes, though, as I never get much past frying them in butter or using in cream sauces

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Almost morel season here in Michigan! I am foaming at the mouth with anticipation.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of mushroom hunters here in NW Washington where I am and it's always looked like a fun hobby.

I spend an hour or two a day walking through the forest anyway for relaxation/slow movement, so it would be cool to be collecting primal food at the same time. I do love buttery mushrooms.

I just have a hard time with the idea of screwing up and poisoning the family.

I've thought about buying a stack of books/videos to learn what I'm doing, but I think it would take a few trips with a seasoned pro showing me the ropes and answering questions before I'd have the confidence to eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post

I've thought about buying a stack of books/videos to learn what I'm doing, but I think it would take a few trips with a seasoned pro showing me the ropes and answering questions before I'd have the confidence to eat them.
    I like David Arora's All That the Rain Promises and More, it's pocket size and has great photos. If you can find a class in identifying mushrooms that's even better, then you can learn what mushrooms grow in your area. In the meantime you can familiarize yourself with the methods of identifying mushrooms and then when you go for your walks you may find you recognise some of them.

Like you we walk in the woods just about every day and being able to gather food at the same time has added an extra dimension to our walks. I think you will really enjoy it.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've always wanted to hunt them also, but then remember my Biology teacher in HS telling us about his friend who was a mushroom expert - wrote books and all, dying from a poisonous mushroom...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast