Thread: I appear to be gaining weight... page

ana
    ana is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I started off doing Atkins last summer, and have slowly progressed onto primal. However, the small amount of weight that I lost in the first few weeks has all come back in the last couple of months - despite me doing more exercise and eating more strictly primal. I'm at a bit of a loss as to why. Maybe it's a seasonal thing? Also I am *very* stressed at the moment (writing my dissertation). Any ideas would be much appreciated.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

How are your other measuremeants? Waist/Hips? Body Fat? There's that whole adding-muscle-tone aspect that weight alone doesn't give much insight to.

ana

Well the weight that came off my belly hasn't come back, but my hips and thighs are definitely bigger - my pre-primal jeans are snug again.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Muscle gain... how do you look in the mirror?

ana

Well I think I look more or less the same, it's just the tight jeans that's confused me - surely you can't put muscle on your hips? Or have I just put muscle on everywhere? I have been weight training but, as a lady, I didn't really think I'd get much bigger.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

You quad/hamstrings are a huge set of muscles...

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm male, but I noticed when I really started weight training that some of my pants/shorts fit differently/were a little tighter. Alot of it was due to *ahem* gluteal development, but my thighs also definitely increased in circumference, and not from fat, because the definition also increased dramatically. I'm guessing for ladies, any increase in muscle would make pants fit more snugly just because they are more fitted than guy's pants.

That being said, I think that stress can negatively impact body composition. If you're getting smaller around your waist, you're probably headed in the right direction.