Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Pink Slime" gound beef-which stores don't use it page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

"Pink Slime" gound beef-which stores don't use it

Primal Fuel
    Here's an article that mentions the names of some stores where "pink slime" is or isn't added to ground beef. It appears Safeway is definitely one place NOT to buy your ground beef. Although Albertson's isn't mentioned here I'd suspect they put the vile stuff in their beef. There have been several times I bought their stuff, always the leanest most expensive grade, and have actually thrown it out because it was so gross I just couldn't eat it. Even though it was "fresh" and bright red, there was just something horribly nasty about the flavor. I would suspect pink slime is why.

It looks like Costco is safe as well as several other stores. I'd be suspicious of H-E-B's remark there. Just because it's "100% pure" doesn't mean it's not pink slime since the AMI calls pink slime 100% beef, which, technically, it is 100% from cattle. :P

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ime-free-beef/

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Great... Safeway is one of my stores. Don't shop at Costco, because bjs is closer and the closest WF is 25 - 30 miles away. Not a very comprehensive list since Acme, Shoprite, food lion and giant are the stores I have available to me.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I get my beef straight from the farm, and it is never bright red. It's a rich, deep burgundy color, and it cooks to a lovely rich brown. Think the colour of the inside of a roast if you cut into it raw. I also never wind up with a bunch of liquid running around the pan, that people are trained to think is fat, but I don't think it is. I never have to drain my ground beef.

Store bought is just... Nasty. Go to a proper butcher, you'll never go back.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    First of all there aren't any butchers convenient. Second I do buy grassfed, but the place I go to sells it frozen and I don't care for the flavor of their ground meat. Third I usually buy ground bison but sometimes I like hamburger. Shoprite sells kosher and halal, I wonder if that's safe.

dixonge is offline Junior Member
    SEVENTY PERCENT of all ground beef is pink slime? WTF?

I wonder whether any of that makes it down here to Mexico? hmmm......

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
    SEVENTY PERCENT of all ground beef is pink slime? WTF?

I wonder whether any of that makes it down here to Mexico? hmmm......
    That should be "Seventy percent of ground beef may CONTAIN "pink slime" as an addition"
    ... it's used to cut cots of product for the stores, although I bet there isn't a savings for the consumer.

My most numerous local store "Publix" does not use "pink slime"... happy dance for those times I need to pick up something quick, as Publix is only about a mile away!

I do get most of my meat from a real butcher though... and he uses only REAL beef for sure.
    AND if you are buying USDA Organic grade it's "slime" free too!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    I tend not to buy ground beef, these days. But, if I do buy ground stuff, it's grass fed, or just like previously mentioned, ground bison.

BygoneCat is offline Member
    In Georgia at least, Publix also sells fresh, grassfed ground beef from Whiteoak Pastures. If they don't have it in stock, you should be able to request it. It is the same farm that Whole Foods buys from, I think.

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Yeah- I had some ground beef from the farm and it was not bright pink or red.

On another note, I think a lot of foods are treated with ammonia or bleach. I can't eat salad out anymore- it always has a bleachy aftertaste.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    So, basically the "McDonalds Chicken Nugget" treatment, but for beef...

Lovely!

Time to go order another 1/2 grass fed cow direct from the farm so as to avoid this altogether.

But because of BPI’s treatment of the trimmings — simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs — the United States Department of Agriculture says it’s safe to eat.
    Ugh. The USDA is useless, I tell you. Freaking useless!
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast