Thread: Newbie in Texas page

Alessandra is offline Senior Member

Newbie in Texas

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I'm Alessandra and I live in Amarillo, TX. I started going Primal after one of my coworkers wouldn't stop talking about it. He and his wife had been on Primal for a while and I noticed that he'd dropped a few sizes. What I was surprised by was the amount of fat he was eating and still losing. Completely strange concept, but the hard thing for me to hear was the loss of grains. Stop right there, I'm half Italian people! Like I was going to give up my beloved pasta and bread. Woah, not that easy. However, I needed to do something because I was losing energy in the evenings for what I thought was no reason other than aging. I do also have hypothyroidism, so I knew that was a factor. I thought that getting my whole grains and working out constantly was doing me good. I made sure I ate what I thought was the right stuff after my workouts to make sure I could hang out with my daughter afterwards and not be worn out. I even read labels and watched out for hidden sugars because I knew I have an adverse reaction to sugar. Think the squirrel from Hoodwinked.

So, I bought the PB book and read it with more interest than my beloved Stephanie Plum novels. That's hard to do cause those books are the best mind fodder out there. Eventually, I moved on from oatmeal and whole grain cereals in the morning to bacon and eggs. Oh snap son, I had more energy in the mornings that I knew what to do with. It's like I was in squirrel mode but for a much longer period of time at work. I'm sure the guys loved me being so much more energetic than I already was in the mornings Then the middle of the day would show up and I'd get worried that I'd lose my new found energy, but I had started to change my lunches as well. By the end of the day, I was ready to head home and play! It took a while for me to get into bed on time because I would still have energy left over. That part was hard because I really needed to hit the sack at about 9:30 during the week. My day starts well before sunrise due to work hours.

I went on vacation last summer to my hometown of Virginia Beach, VA. I ran into a few snags, but not as many as I thought. Man, I realized how much I miss true fresh fish! Nothing beats flounder when it's done up right My sister sort of heckled me a few times about no bread, but she's one of those freaks of nature who can eat whatever she wants and run a marathon to burn it off without a second thought. Not this woman! I've realized that about 3-7 miles is all this body wants to run before it says enough with this, we're done for the day. I don't run that much anymore, but I will walk all over the place like I grew up doing or bike ride.

In between vacation last summer and winter this year, I slipped up quite a bit. I've been treating my thyroid problem on my own without any help from a doctor because I've begun to abhor going to the doctors office. Aside from hypothyroidism, my health at every work physical has been great. No blood pressure problems, no high cholesteral, none of that. This past year I slacked off on donating blood, but I used to go every eight weeks as the supply in this area gets dangerously low at times, especially during wildfire season. However, this past winter my energy was starting to dip. I wasn't sure if it was completely seasonal, but I knew I had allowed my carb intake to get a little out of control. So, I cut back again, but I did decide to see an osteopath. He's the one my mom's been using because I've basically hammered her into trying one. After my blood work was done, I was told that what I was doing to treat myself was working because my numbers were within the normal range. So, why was I tired? I changed my dosage a bit because I read up more on that. Then I decided to finally try the 20 day challenge. Well, today is my last day on the Challenge! Yeap, it's fasting day. Cooked up a meal of fajita meat and other fixings to get er done last night. Here goes nothing!

That's all for now I hope I can keep up with this thread!
    Last edited by Alessandra; 03-10-2012 at 08:51 AM.

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I moved from Amarillo about 20 years ago, still miss it. When I go back, Cattle Call is always on the top of my list. Welcome to the board, lots of knowledge on here.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

I moved from Amarillo about 20 years ago, still miss it. When I go back, Cattle Call is always on the top of my list. Welcome to the board, lots of knowledge on here.
    Ahh yes, they are a good place to eat. My mom takes me to some BBQ joint off of River Road from time to time. Good brisket and you can write on the walls There's one thing this place isn't short on, beef! 3H All Natural, out of Clarendon, has a store off Paramount. I just cooked up the last bit of meat I bought from them a few weeks ago. They have beef bacon! It's pretty good stuff. The fajita meat was pretty tasty last night too

texas.grok is online now Senior Member
    I also miss my weekends down in Palo Duro Canyon. Used to do trail running down there back to the Lighthouse. I was a paramedic there for many years, still have a bunch of friends there.
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I love PDC! Right now, my truck's not in the best shape, so I'm afraid she might not make the drive back up to get out. However, I will be getting that fixed this month. It's pretty much become my new beach since I don't have one of those here. In the meantime, we've been going to Wildcat Bluff. That place needs so much help right now! They are on the verge of getting closed down. We hiked out there yesterday and I made it the full trail barefoot.

The Lighthouse trail is awesome. I love getting up there and enjoying the view with a good lunch. It's so peaceful and awe inspiring. I'm hoping that the next time we go out there I might be able to barefoot a little of some of the trails, like maybe the Sunflower or Rio Rojo. Possibly the Juniper Trail or Spicer Givens Lowry. That last one is fun!