Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal diet questions for experienced PRIMIES page

Chrisf12 is offline Member

Primal diet questions for experienced PRIMIES

Hello All

I'm new here and had two questions

1) is canola oil mayonnaise okay? I like to use that w some meats.
    2) is a cup of oatmeal okay to have for breakfast?

ljq309 is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome.

No and no... sorry.

Make your mayo with GOOD olive oil, macadamia oil, or avocado would be good too but I haven't tried it.

Grains are not great, any grains. Forget about toast and cereal breakfasts and treat it the same as lunch or dinner. Have some fat, protein and veg. If you're stuck for time veg rosti or frittata are quick, easy and tasty, leftover dinner is also easy and quick.
    Lost the weight using CW. Now I just want to be healthier.
    Lisa's primal-ish when she feels like it journal.
    Feel free to read and/or comment, but don't expect me to listen.
    Distance walked 2012: 321 kms as of June 15.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Dr. William Davis who wrote "Wheat Belly" has a great blog post on how oatmeal is like eating a bowl of sugar:

Oatmeal: Good or bad? | The Heart Scan Blog
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    May I ask, why the oatmeal? You don't get much nutrition for the high amount of carbs. I don't know why it's so popular with the Eat Clean crowd.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Thanks for the link.

I used Irish McCann oatmeal and it's only 28grams of carbs... But I guess that not primal...
    On thd other hand, canola oil mayo I thought was good in fat and zero in carbs - part of marks blog he said ramp up the fat even with butter? So what is the difference?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Canola is not a "real" fat. Highly processed from a toxic plant. Stick to things like butter, animal fats, coconut, olive and avocado.

For homemade mayo, my favorite is baconnaise.
    Fast Paleo Baconnaise - Paleo Recipe Sharing Site

With some practice you can get really good at making mayo. Best part is you can make mayo to match any meal, depending on which fats and acids you use. The combinations are infinite. It becomes absolutely gourmet without even really trying.

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    Oatmeal's definitely not primal and triggers an insulin response, it's like eating a big bowl of sugar. Even the "heart-healthy" steel cut kind.

The reason so many folks are down on the canola oil is because it's a refined oil with a high ratio of omega-6 fats. I'm fuzzy on the science, so someone else can probably help with that.

The best mayo you can have is the mayo you make yourself! I use olive oil for mine.

Here is my mayo recipe and I think it's the bestest! It's a pretty "basic" recipe and tastes just like commercial blends you find in a jar; you can build on this and add your own flavors, a bit of mustard or wasabi for some kick, etc. etc.

(I hope that link worked)

Thanks guys - you're awesome

Sorry bout being a newbie but pls correct me here - isn't the entre idea to eliminate carbs which then then leads to fat loss canola oil mayo is carb free.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf12 View Post

Sorry bout being a newbie but pls correct me here - isn't the entre idea to eliminate carbs which then then leads to fat loss canola oil mayo is carb free.
    No, it's not: It's to eliminate grains. Vegetables have carbs, just not as much. More importantly, it's about natural sources of food. I'm reading "In Defense of Food," by Michael Pollan (planning on finishing out an Omnivore's Dilemma, personally), and recommend reading it. As previously stated, Canola Oil isn't naturally derived, and has high omega 6 content. It's not about the numbers, in general, but numbers in context. Simply put, it's about eating real food.

Tealia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisf12 View Post

A low-carb diet is great for losing fat, but not necessarily a good diet for good HEALTH. A primal diet is a low-toxin diet by priority. Canola oil is toxic, grains are toxic.
    Many people here do NOT eat low carb, but the one thing that unifies the primal community is the avoidance of processed, and improperly prepared foods which cause bad immune responses.
    There aren't many problems in life that can't be solved by sleeping it off, or adding more butter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast