Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Schulze 5-Day Bowel Detox page

Brent* is offline Senior Member

Dr. Schulze 5-Day Bowel Detox

Shop Now
    I'm curious if anyone has tried one of these (herbdoc.com)? I know these types of detoxes aren't really part of the primal diet, but am curious if there is any negative side effects of doing a 5-day bowel detox?

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I can... it's like giving yourself the "can't get more than 10 feet from a toilet" stomach flu (and I don't mean vomiting) ON PURPOSE ... and, quite literally FLUSHING all of the good and proper gut flora right OUT of your intestines.

IMO... NO freaking way.
    That's my 2c. YMMV.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I can... it's like giving yourself the "can't get more than 10 feet from a toilet" stomach flu (and I don't mean vomiting) ON PURPOSE ... and, quite literally FLUSHING all of the good and proper gut flora right OUT of your intestines.

IMO... NO freaking way.
    That's my 2c. YMMV.
    Yeah, his stuff seems to be really popular so am curious how effective they are. Probably need a good probiotic if doing this 5-day bowel detox.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    dear god that sounds like something u try to avoid normally. ill pass on that.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    I'm curious if anyone has tried one of these (herbdoc.com)? I know these types of detoxes aren't really part of the primal diet, but am curious if there is any negative side effects of doing a 5-day bowel detox?
    Yes, ruining your digestive system.

So do you guys not believe in bowel detoxing, or just believe it is unnecessary? What about cleanses?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    The whole idea of "cleansing" and "detox" for your bowels comes from a flawed idea of how digestion works. A lot of people think that waste can "build up" in your colon, or that mysterious "toxins" can accumulate there, and that you need to "flush" the system out.

What actually happens, unless you have diverticulitis, is that your gut lining is continually shedding itself and the tissues are regularly renewed, just like your skin and every other tissue that comes in contact with foreign substances. Normal people without serious bowel diseases do not store up any waste, toxic or otherwise, in their bowels.

What these "cleanses" and "flushes" do is give you diarrhea, which comes with all sorts of risks including dehydration and hyponatremia. Diarrhea is a natural response to disease agents and poisons in your lower GI tract, but it's costly and not something you should induce without good reason. And if you have a good reason, your body will make it happen.

The other thing that happens is you seriously deplete your healthy gut flora, which take time to recolonize, and that leaves a big hole in your immune response as well as upsetting your digestion until that can happen. It leaves the door open for C. diff, yeasts and other nasties to move in and exploit resources that they normally wouldn't be able to compete for effectively, making you sick.

Bottom line, inducing diarrhea without a damn good reason is useless at best, and dangerous at worst. I wouldn't touch those protocols if you paid me. (Well, maybe for a million dollars. I don't think it's that risky!)
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

xntrik is offline Member
    If you need the psychological assurance that you've been cleaned out, eat a pound or more of fresh cherries first thing in the morning, with or without your stimulant morning beverage of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    The whole idea of "cleansing" and "detox" for your bowels comes from a flawed idea of how digestion works. A lot of people think that waste can "build up" in your colon, or that mysterious "toxins" can accumulate there, and that you need to "flush" the system out.

What actually happens, unless you have diverticulitis, is that your gut lining is continually shedding itself and the tissues are regularly renewed, just like your skin and every other tissue that comes in contact with foreign substances. Normal people without serious bowel diseases do not store up any waste, toxic or otherwise, in their bowels.

What these "cleanses" and "flushes" do is give you diarrhea, which comes with all sorts of risks including dehydration and hyponatremia. Diarrhea is a natural response to disease agents and poisons in your lower GI tract, but it's costly and not something you should induce without good reason. And if you have a good reason, your body will make it happen.

The other thing that happens is you seriously deplete your healthy gut flora, which take time to recolonize, and that leaves a big hole in your immune response as well as upsetting your digestion until that can happen. It leaves the door open for C. diff, yeasts and other nasties to move in and exploit resources that they normally wouldn't be able to compete for effectively, making you sick.

Bottom line, inducing diarrhea without a damn good reason is useless at best, and dangerous at worst. I wouldn't touch those protocols if you paid me. (Well, maybe for a million dollars. I don't think it's that risky!)
    I'd be curious to see you debate this Dr. Schulze who promotes these full body cleanses. He seems pretty popular. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but am curious how he would respond to a statement like this.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    he would say 'that person has no idea what they are talking about or how the human body works'

it's just diarrhea.. but i guess calling it a 'cleanse' sounds better
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast