Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stand and walk properly? page

Raphaella is offline Senior Member

How to stand and walk properly?

Primal Fuel
    I've read all about running properly, but what about walking and standing? I realized that when I stand I tend to keep the weight on the balls of my feet and lean forward slightly. Should I be leaned back and keep the weight on my heels more? Also my idea of standing properly was perfectly straight, pelvis tucked in, back straight, shoulders pushed way back and down, knees locked. My friend told me not to lock my knees. When I asked him about walking he said people are supposed to lean back more, as thought a line was running through them from top to bottom pulling them slightly backwards. He said that your shoulders will fall into place when you lean like that too. ?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Check out Esther Gokhale (sp?). She wrote a book entitled "8 Steps to a Pain-free Back". She did research on posture among more traditional cultures and came up with the reasons those cultures don't have back problems like in the US. That book should answer most of your questions.

Thank you!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I saw a YouTube presentation by her, and she is great. And just requested the book from my library...

Oh, and regarding walking posture--I read a book called Chi Walking that described basic good posture as a straight line connecting hips, chest, and head (though with natural spinal curvature), but when you walk, that line leans forward a bit, so that your feet are naturally moving under your center of gravity which would otherwise fall. I've tried it, and it is very natural and easy. My tendency was to lean forward too much, which put strain on my lower back--or stand up "straight" with no forward lean, which makes you have to work too hard on the legs. Funny that when it's right it's just completely natural feeling and you don't have to think about it...now I mostly just check to make sure there isn't tension anywhere (shoulders, low back).

kmarie6 is offline Junior Member

Esther at Google

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    I saw a YouTube presentation by her, and she is great. And just requested the book from my library...
    Here's a link to a youtube video of Esther giving a presentation at Google:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yYJ4hEYudE

I agree, her work is wonderful. The DVD is a great companion to the book!

Amazon.com: Back Pain: The Primal Posture Solution DVD: Zamacona Productions, Esther Gokhale: Movies & TV
    Last edited by kmarie6; 03-14-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Monisha is offline Junior Member
    As mentioned above, I would definitely suggest you check out the book 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back. You can also find more information on the method as well as free online classes, courses, etc that are offered at Gokhale Method Institute |. I'm a teacher of the Gokhale Method, and primal standing and walking are very much a part of it! I will actually be at PrimalCon this year to give a presentation on posture - I hope to see some of you there!

Aliophile is offline Senior Member
    The Alexander technique is also a school of thought you may be interested in checking out: Alexander Technique: The Insider's Guide
    || 2/28/12 || 5'6" || 144 lbs ||
    My goals: 125 lbs, 27" waist, fat-free, shapely, muscular legs
    AND to be able to do my very first pull up!

Quote Originally Posted by kmarie6 View Post
    Here's a link to a youtube video of Esther giving a presentation at Google:

Authors@Google: Esther Gokhale - YouTube

I agree, her work is wonderful. The DVD is a great companion to the book!

Amazon.com: Back Pain: The Primal Posture Solution DVD: Zamacona Productions, Esther Gokhale: Movies & TV
    Watched it and it was fascinating! Becoming a customer as soon as possible!

I posted before about the "Chi Walking" book, but just got Gokhale's book--and it's amazing. It's a definitive guide. She has done the research on cultures that don't experience back pain, analyzed standing, sitting, lying, and walking positions and their effects on the vertebrae and muscles, and clearly spells out what you should do for back health. I just wish I lived in the Bay Area so I could go for consultation...hopefully the DVD will do it. Nothing like having experienced eyes on you when trying to change old habits!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast