Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walking with a weighted vest? page

That One Guy is offline Junior Member

Lately I have been walking fast for my 55% heart rate. I noticed recently, I am having a hard time getting to 55% max heart rate, from walking fast. Does anyone know if a weighted vest will help me achieve my 55-75% max hr goals?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Why is it important for you to walk at 55-75% of your MHR?

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

evolution is offline Junior Member

It will certainly raise your heart rate, but how much I don't think anybody could tell you!

Why don't you put a weight/something heavy in a backpack and give it a go? And while your there why not think about ditching the micromanagement heart rate monitoring (or save it for the hard stuff)! I'm all for science'ing it up but Grok never cared about his heart rate!

That One Guy is offline Junior Member

Primalchild, I am following law # 3 and walking is my favorite way to achieve it. Evolution, I was considering holding 5-10 pounds to see if it raised my hr any.

That's great. Walking is my favorite way to achieve #3 as well. But there's nothing written about heart rate. The whole target heart rate, fat-burning zone thing is a holdover from the CW approach to cardio and really has very little bearing. Walking should be enjoyable, but keeping your heart rate elevated through artificial means sounds like turning something enjoyable into work, or even chronic cardio.

I say just go walking and don't worry about it.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Lately I've enjoyed walking around with a couple of barbells as an alternative to running. It feels a bit like carrying water or breakfast back to the cave, and makes a nice combo of mild aerobics and lifting. I'd also like to try carrying a weighted sack over one shoulder and a sledgehammer on the other, like Grok would have done on the way back from a kill.

But a weighted vest seems unnecessarily expensive and not very primal. Half the fun is using your back and core to compensate for the asymmetric load.

mstrudle is offline Member

Gaius Marius marched his legions for up to 20 miles with 70 pounds in their backpacks. Those men were the toughest, best conditioned troops in the ancient world at the time, and ended up conquering the entirety of the Mediterranean, Gaul, and the non-Scottish half of Britannia.

There is little better for stamina and leg strength than lugging around large weights for extended period of time.

amandalw1 is offline Junior Member

Any walking I do (even just grocery shopping) is done with a 10-25 lb child on my back, depending on if I have the baby or the toddler with me. I wouldn't worry too much about heart rate, but weighted walking is certainly a primal activity.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Agreed!

It's my goal, when the weather is appropriate, to walk the 20 miles to my parents' house, with a fully loaded backpack. Should be a fantastic Primal workout.

I'm a cheap Grokette though. No way would I pay for a vest. I'd rather throw some stuff in a backpack.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

mstrudle,

I wonder if those legionnaires were relaxed and happy on those hikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast