Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas On How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat? page

trekfan is offline Senior Member

Ideas On How To Get Rid Of Belly Fat?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    All righty, I've been doing Primal since July 25th, 2011 and I've made remarkable strides in my life. It's given me more energy, made me fitter, make me healthier, and I've lost 98 pounds on it as of today. I started Primal at 266 and now I'm at 168, wearing clothes I thought I'd never be able to wear again. It's been a lifechanger, especially since most of my life I've been a big guy-I've spent the majority of my 23 years on this Earth hearing every fat joke imaginable.

All that said, all that done, I'm approaching my end goal of being 165 and now that taking off the big chunks is done, I want to know how to sculpt myself. Particularly, how to get rid of this stubborn belly fat. When I began Primal I had a gut that rivaled my 52 year old father and now I don't thankfully, but I still have a flat tire sitting there. A useless lump of flesh that won't go away.

I'm wearing large shirts now and it's really kinda big on me, but the mediums are a bit tight-around my belly, as you can imagine. My upper chest is leaning out but my lower chest area, my belly area, doesn't seem to want to. I know that spot losing doesn't work on Primal, it comes off where it comes off I've been told by other Primal followers.

I was wondering what workouts would emphasize losing Belly Fat, if any? Any and all ideas, comments, suggestions, ect, are welcome.

otzi Guest
    People will tell you abs are made in the kitchen, but I have found the best ab workout is pullups. If you haven't included pullups, chinups, dips or squats into your regime, please consider it.

At the rate you lost weight, you will probably have to be super-strict with your diet and exercise for another 24 months to get sculpted abs. After you lose all the adipose fat you can, you will still battle loose skin. It's do-able, though. Just keep at it!

Great job on the weightloss!

caveman josh is offline Member
    Well first of all you Deserve a huge congratulations for losing so much, but now we get to the nitty gritty bit, that last 10 pounds sitting on your stomach. There's loads of things I could reccomend, intermittent fasting is what did it for me, skipped breakfast and lunch everyday for 6 months, although it's not for everyone, and being in such a catabolic date it's hard to build muscle. You can cut out all fruits and nuts, focus on leafy green veg and avoid starch, this ketogenic state isn't far away from fading anyway. Dairy is a major crimal when it comes to weight gain, if your serious cut it all out, along with all liquid food even shakes after a workout. Just focus on whole food instead.

Or an alternative is go somewhere and get a biosignature done, they monitor where fat is being stored on your body and can pinpoint which hormones are contributing to it. Around the belly signafys insulin and cortisol, so even something as simple as getting enough sleep can seriously help. it's something that you will have to play around with, but never stay still for a long time and lift a few times a week, I don't know what your weekly routine is so it's hard to tell,

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    People will tell you abs are made in the kitchen, but I have found the best ab workout is pullups. If you haven't included pullups, chinups, dips or squats into your regime, please consider it.

At the rate you lost weight, you will probably have to be super-strict with your diet and exercise for another 24 months to get sculpted abs. After you lose all the adipose fat you can, you will still battle loose skin. It's do-able, though. Just keep at it!

Great job on the weightloss!
    Thanks for the suggestions. Pullups, chinups, dips and Squats are not in the regime simply because I've never been able to do them. The only reason I passed PE (I took it three times-I only needed it once but I took it three times to help lose weight back in high school, that didn't work) is because my teachers were nice. They gave the old "A for effort" thing to us fat kids who couldn't get a centimeter off the ground with moon gravity.

I'll try and work pullups and your suggestions in. I'll have to research and see if there's a like a beginner-beginner level for pullups.

I'm not looking for super sculpted abs, or even abs really, I just want the flat tire gone; I want the belly fat to thin out so it's not protruding if that makes any sense. I'll keep at it, thanks for the suggestions once again

Quote Originally Posted by caveman josh View Post
    Well first of all you Deserve a huge congratulations for losing so much, but now we get to the nitty gritty bit, that last 10 pounds sitting on your stomach. There's loads of things I could reccomend, intermittent fasting is what did it for me, skipped breakfast and lunch everyday for 6 months, although it's not for everyone, and being in such a catabolic date it's hard to build muscle. You can cut out all fruits and nuts, focus on leafy green veg and avoid starch, this ketogenic state isn't far away from fading anyway. Dairy is a major crimal when it comes to weight gain, if your serious cut it all out, along with all liquid food even shakes after a workout. Just focus on whole food instead.

Or an alternative is go somewhere and get a biosignature done, they monitor where fat is being stored on your body and can pinpoint which hormones are contributing to it. Around the belly signafys insulin and cortisol, so even something as simple as getting enough sleep can seriously help. it's something that you will have to play around with, but never stay still for a long time and lift a few times a week, I don't know what your weekly routine is so it's hard to tell,
    I do IF once or twice a week, and I make sure to get plenty of sleep. I usually only eat one meal a day, breakfast for lunch, but I make sure to get what I need in that one meal. I don't do shakes (never took to them) and fruits/nuts are not a huge factor in my diet, so they can be eliminated with ease I think.

Starch and dairy are my two weaknesses though; I like dairy (even though I'm lactose intolerant) and starch is around me constantly in the kitchen (others in my family do not subscribe to my Primal way of living). I could eliminate both with some difficulty for a while and see if that makes any dent in the belly fat.

My workout routine is pretty much based on play, walking, sprinting, and running. I alternate between those most days. One day I run, one day I play a sport (basketball, football, baseball, ect), one day I sprint, one day I walk, and usually on Sunday's I just take the day off, IF, and relax. I used to do some heavy lifting in there during my first three months but then I had a gallbladder attack, ended up in the hospital for a while, and had to give it up to heal up. I was out of commission for nearly a month and a half as I got my strength back up and never picked it back up again.

Thanks for the suggestions

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    I've never been overweight, in fact I've always been very thin. But I've been plagued by 10-20 lbs. of belly fat. I've been making some real progress on it, though, using IF for the first time. I see you've already been doing this. You didn't mention it, but I think walking 3-5 miles a day on an empty stomach has been making a big difference for me. Also, when I do it, I've been focussing on high nutrient meals.

I've been drinking a lot of broths from grass fed bones and beef heart. I also eat a small piece of liver everyday, with heavy spices, potatoes and oninons to mask the taste. I've been drinking a variety of herbal teas to mitigate hunger during the fasting periods. So far I've been skipping breakfast for a 14/8 fast, but lately I've been limiting lunch to some broth and liver. My broths are very spicy and tasty by the way.

So, that's my advice. More nutrient dense foods, NO grains or legumes. Long walks on an empty stomach. Weight training on an empty stomach. I've dropped over 8 pounds of belly in a little over two weeks. I've been able to lose it before, but never this quickly. I also work out my entire core once a week, maybe 600 or 700 reps divided between crunches, oblique crunches, roman chair lifts etc.

Spinman is offline Member
    Congratulations on your success man....that is really a great accomplishment. I don't have an answer to your original question but I would really encourage you to start incorporating weightlifting into your routine. By the sound of your post it seems like the final frontier for you. Not only will you love the way you feel, you'll develop a bigger chest, stronger arms and shoulders, and more overall symmetry so that your "spare tire" will appear less pronounced. I recommend keeping it really basic and intense. Good luck man and keep it up!!

Just a Girl is offline Junior Member
    Are you sure it's fat and not loose skin?

Thanks for the suggestions dbalch, I'll take a look into it.

Spinman, yes, I am pretty much approaching "the final frontier" (I'm assuming that's a Star Trek reference and you are now awesome because of it ). I can't wait to get back into weight lifting, as I did it for the first few months of primal but stopped due to sickness. I need to get back into it-it got me really good results.

Just a Girl, I'm pretty sure it's belly fat. Yeah, it hangs there like a flat tire, it's a useless lump of flesh. I can grab it, knead it, pull at it...it seems like the last of the belly fat, hanging on for dear life. I can grasp it and if it was clay, I'd totally chop it off and toss it aside. But it's flesh and chopping off chunks of flesh is usually a bad idea

There's probably some loose skin in it, but it's more belly fat than loose skin I think.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You pretty much answered your own question brother! Congrats on the amazing weight loss by the way!!!!

To lose all that weight, you also lost a lot of lean mass i.e. muscle. You MUST now work on building muscle. All those exercises you say you can't do? That is because you don't have any real muscular strength. By building muscle you will increase your metabolism as well as improve it's overall function on every level. Ab exercises are next to useless if you have too much fat on them. You are at a pretty light weight right now. It is what is known as skinny fat. If I were 165 I would be shredded!! At that weight I have super tight skin, striations, veins bulging etc. But that is because I have a good muscular base. I am currently around 205 and with clothes on you would be shocked that I weigh so much. Again, I have a good muscular base. You must start building muscle. If you don't do this, you can rest assured you will definitely gain it all back. You DON'T want that to happen under any circumstances and neither do I want that for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast