Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who feels awful after morning exercise? page

sm270 is offline Junior Member

Question Am I the only one who feels awful after morning exercise?

Hi Primal folks!!

Loads or websites and 'experts' say how great doing exercise first thing in the morning is. And how fabulous, pumped and awake you will feel for the rest of the day!!

Personally I feel like crap. I get a headache. My whole body aches (more than evening exercise) To be honest I feel like I have a cold and a hangover rolled into one. And I just want to eat loads all day sat on the sofa.

How about you?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    How long have you been exercising in the morning? Is it something you are only now trying out? There can be a period of adjustment where it can be like you describe. Maybe it simply doesn't work for you. If you are new to it, I'd stick to it for a while and see if you come around. If you have been at it for a good bit, then I'd plan to workout later in the day.

Hi Forever Young!!
    This is good to know! I have only done morning exercise about 6 times. I only do it if I have missed a session the evening before or know that evening I have plans so do it before work instead.

If you think it will get better then I will try and do it more often as the health benefits are meant to be great. Plus my partner prefers doing it in the morning "so we can spend the evening together"

So good to know it will get better

Yes try to make it a regular thing and I think that you find it becomes more natural and you'll start feeling better throughout the day. You should adapt to it when done regularly.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Ugh, don't listen to them. They're morning people (shudder), the worst kind. ''Oh look at me, I'm so happy, look, it's the sunrise lalalalala''. Morning exercise is unnatural and evil. EVIL.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Most studies on the topic I've ever read actually indicate you may get slightly better "bang for your buck" exercising in the evening, actually - although it's really negligible when it comes down to it.

Influence of time of day on reactions to cycling at a fixed high intensity. -- Reilly and Baxter 17 (2): 128 -- British Journal of Sports Medicine
    Morning Versus Evening Power Output and Repeated

The punchline here is that it really does not matter one bit when you choose to exercise as you must find what works for you, individually.

Interestingly, there may actually be some basis behind the "your body will adapt" sentiment...

Exercise elicits phase shifts and acute alterations of melatonin that vary with circadian phase

ahhhh so much to think about!
    I recon a mixture of both would be a happy medium haha.
    Is good to know that I can just get used to it. but that also by doing it in the evening most days I am not loosing out or cutting myself short.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    i am soooooooo not a morning person... i'm a total night owl... which sucks cos I work 8am to 4pm Monday through Friday...

So I do my lifting Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Sundays at around 2pm, and on Tuesdays and Thursdays after i get home from work. Lifting always gives me a surge of adrenaline and testosterone so it gets wakes me up. But frak the idea of lifting in the morning... I hate mornings
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back? - Rivvin

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Ugh, don't listen to them. They're morning people (shudder), the worst kind. ''Oh look at me, I'm so happy, look, it's the sunrise lalalalala''. Morning exercise is unnatural and evil. EVIL.
    I guess I am one of the worst kind!! Being a "morning person" is all a state of mind. If you choose to be miserable because you have to face yet another day, then that is on you. You choose to be that way. I have taken so called "not morning people" and gotten them to get up and train first thing and some of them can't believe they haven't always done it and are now "morning people" and admit it was all in their mind.

I myself can't imagine spending any part of any day with the attitude that I'm going to be miserable because it's (fill in the time)!!! What a waste of precious time!!

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    And me as well...

Even though I posted that study information on evening training, personally I always seem to perform better during fasted morning weight training...

This just further supports the notion that there is no right answer and personal preference is important to consider when developing long-term plans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast