Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy in Primal Wonderland page 71

Candy in Wonderland is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I've been away for the weekend; we were at the Dutch coast with 45 adults and 15 children and had a good time. I left prepared, as I knew breakfast and lunch would be bread-based meals: I made meatmuffins and crust-less quiche. At dinner time there was enough good food to choose from, there are a lot of people in the group doing the Dukan diet (a low-fat Atkins type diet: high protein, low carb and low fat). Lots of (slow) movement: a brisk walk on the beach (windy and cold!!) on Saturday morning, a short walk in the afternoon and a good walk on Sunday morning, including climbing some steep dunes. Sleep was not so good, sleeping with the whole family in one room in not-so-comfy beds .
    Here's last week in foods:
    Monday: Leftover pancakes with butter for breakfast. For lunch leftover chicken, parsnips and asparagus. Dinner was slowcooked pork cheecks with oven-roasted broccoli.

Tuesday: Last pancakes with butter. Bacon, eggs and avocado for lunch. Turkey roast with stewed celery and tomatoes for dinner. A tablespoon of almond butter and some smoked lox as a snack.

Wednesday: I decided to start the day with a “fat fast”: homemade bone broth and a cup of coffee with coconut cream for breakfast. A few pieces of fresh coconut as mid-morning snack. Lunch was leftover celery and turkey with an avocado. I made ‘zucchetti’ with shrimp in tomatosauce for dinner. I ate a piece of chorizo and a tablespoon of almond butter as a post-WOD snack.

Thursday: I noticed yesterday that I feel better in the morning if I only eat fat and no carbs/little protein. So I started the day again with homemade bone broth and a few tablespoons of homemade cream cheese. I had a handful of nuts as mid-morning snack. A few leftover shrimps, some meatmuffins and raw fennel for lunch. For dinner we had Crispy duck legs with oven-roasted parsnips. Although I had been baking dessert (brownies, poppy-seed muffins, espresso muffins, blueberry cake – all grainfree) for 60 people for friday evening I didn’t even lick my spoon!

Friday: I prepared for the weekend all day. Breakfast was a cup of bonebroth and my easy version of bulletproof coffee (google if you don’t know what that is): a cup of good quality espresso with a tablespoon of butter stirred in. Yeah, I see you raising your eyebrow, I did too when I first read about it: put butter in your coffee, are you crazy? But it actually tastes good, it gives an even thicker layer of ‘foam’ on top of my coffee (I make coffee with a Delonghi ECAM 23.210 and buy organic, 100% arabica coffee beans); I had another bulletproof coffee mid-morning. I notice doing this in the morning makes me want to ‘snack’ less, it actually keeps me full until lunchtime. For lunch I baked some chicory (witloof) in butter and ate it with a meatmuffin and some lox. As we were travelling around dinner-time and I didn’t know what dinner would bring on friday evening (often it’s store-bought lasagne or pasta) I decided to make grainfree, 21DSD compliant waffles for the kids and myself as a late-afternoon snack. I ate 2 of them with some butter. I brought a green apple and some hard-boiled eggs with me as a back up-plan for dinner, but by the time we got there I wasn’t hungry at all and I only ate my apple. I put all the goodies I baked out for dessert, but wasn’t even tempted to try anything!

Saturday: good thing I came prepared to our weekend away, because breakfast and lunch was all bread-based. I ate 2 slices of Civilized Caveman’s Banana Bread with butter for breakfast and shared a crust-less quiche with lox and chicory with DH for lunch. We had a few nuts and a hard-boiled egg as a snack during our walks on the beach – I did have a cup of tea with a teaspoon of honey: my throat had been hurting since Thursday and I didn’t have anything to soothe it with me. I wasn’t really hungry by dinner time, I had a small piece of poached chicken and some raw vegetables (cucumber, lettuce, shredded carrots). There was cake for dessert, but also a big tray of cheese. I wasn’t tempted by the cake, but I did eat some (very good quality) cheeses.

Sunday: 2 slices of banana bread with butter and a few mini-meatmuffins before going on another walk in the dunes. I had a slice of roast beef and raw vegetables for lunch. After lunch everyone returned home. I roasted 2 (organic) chickens in the oven for dinner, with parsnips and a few red beets.

Average numbers for week 2:

Calories: 1445/day
    Protein: 22,5% of calories (81 grams)
    Fat: 66% of calories (108 grams)
    Carbs: 11,5% of calories (41 grams)
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm impressed with you being able to stick to your plan while: being away from home, and having all those non-plan items around you, AND having it spread over several days. I salute you!

I was impressed too! Seeing everyone indulging on my primal treats (muffins! brownies! blueberry cake!) just made me happy and I didn't feel deprived one bit. Actually, I felt sad when seeing all those people (especially the kids and young ones!!!) drink all that soda . There are a few younger members of our groups (mid twenties) who have this huuuuuge wheat belly, it makes me really sad. At the other hand, some of the 'older' members (my age and older) lost lots of weight doing this low-carb diet (Dukan) and are feeling so much better than before (but still drink lots of light soda's *sigh*). Also one of the cooks of our weekend is doing this diet, so he made sure there was something to eat for all those "low-carbers", having all the sauces on the side. It's the fifth year my family and I went on this weekend (it's an annual recurring thing with an organization I'm member of), I always look forward to it!

Coll is online now Senior Member
    That sounds awesome Candy! Well done! You are inspiring It is sad to see the ones we love in such a mess health wise, I keep waiting to be in really decent shape so that I can influence some of them. Right now I am only an example of how not to do it!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 218 lbs
    S.T. goals: stabilize hormones, JUDDD, sleep early and long
    LTG: Find my sweet spot with which foods work for me and start losing weight
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

Just take it one bite at a time ...

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    My daughter has a wheat belly. But, then again, she's only going to be 3, so maybe she still has her toddler potbelly. Not sure. She doesn't eat *much* wheat - only at daycare, really. Breakfast and lunch. Daycare provider is primarily primal, so I could get away with replacing her foods with gluten-free stuff, but at the age of 3 I'm not sure she'd be cool with not being allowed to eat what the other kids eat. Not sure at this point what to do... Son is no longer on a gluten-free/dairy-free diet either.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    You can take the Dragon back any day now...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Reading about all that great food makes me hungry!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Jenn, at that age she probably still has her baby belly. Not like a guy in his mid-20's having this huge belly hanging over his belt...

I'm here to say goodbye for now. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately. I need to make some lifestyle changes in order for my weight to go down (and my body to continue healing itself). First of all I want to tackle sleep and stress. They go hand in hand. I realised that I feel anxious if I can't read my whole twitter, facebook and rss feed (almost) every day, and I get anxious when I get back here on the forums, because I want to read all your journals (and I'm not even venturing into the rest of the forum!). It's a daytime job keeping up with everybody!!! So I cleaned up my rss-feed (only keeping the blogs that are "added value" or people I know personally), I'm about to clean up my twitter following-list too and removed some people from my FB-feed (still being friends with them! just not seeing all the bullshit they post all the time every day!). This forum is the next step. If reading here makes me anxious it's not good for me. I'm easily stressed and I need to get my cortisol levels DOWN! My muffin top is making that very clear.

I continue my primal path, but realize I just have to take it a few steps further. Wish me luck. Maybe I'll be back for a short update now and again .

Thanks for all your support and....I'll be back .

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    We'll miss you, Candy. Hope this reduces your stress as you wish. Take care. Come back when and if you can.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I'll miss you too.
    But you need to do what's right for you.
    I understand that need to read everything. I've had to let a lot of it go. For now. My crazy, insanely busy life has made it necessary to let it go. If I tried to keep up with everything I wanted to read on-line, I would get NOTHING done! If it's causing you stress, then I think it's wise to let it go.

Of course we'll wish you luck!
    Please pop in to give us updates now and then and don't think you have to read everyone's journals or feel guilty because you can't.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 71 of 86 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast