Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy in Primal Wonderland page 69

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Indeed, what works for one person may not work for the other!
    I'm doing a lot better now that I'm eating more starchy tubers again. I'm happy to be able to eat some good quality, raw dairy too . I lost the bloat I had last week and haven't been feeling cold anymore. Not even on Saturday, when I've been walking outside while it was snowing (and freezing) the whole morning.

I made this cake for a little girl with celiac disease this weekend:

I also made brownies for her to take to school today. Her mom had ordered them with me, it's so nice to get a request from someone I don't know personally, it means the word on my "bakery" is spreading .

Got a busy week ahead: working 2.5 days; Wednesday afternoon I'm organizing the birthday party of my niece (she turns 8): I'll be entertaining 10 kiddies, making shower-gel, melt & pour soaps and bath salts. Thursday I'll go to the hairdresser because Friday is the day I'm having my sexy photo-shoot! I'm kinda nervous . And Sunday the whole family is coming over to our house to celebrate my oldest son's birthday: he turned 17 on Saturday! I can hardly believe it...
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Candy, that is beautiful. Are those lingonberries up on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Candy, that is beautiful. Are those lingonberries up on top?
    No, they're red currants, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries.

So....I had my sexy photo-shoot on Friday . I had my make up done by a professional before the shoot and went to the hairdresser the day before. It was just the (female) photographer and me; she immediately put me at ease (I was nervous!). The shoot was in a nice hotel room, lots of pictures were taken in various positions; I even got to change twice to different lingerie and shoes . I didn't see any of the pictures yet, so I'm soooooooo curious (as is DH of course)! It was a really nice experience.
    Saturday we celebrated my niece's birthday with lots of cake. SIL asked up front if she could get me something different, or if I would bring my own. I just decided to abstain, as I'd already had too many sweets the last week *sigh*. Yesterday was my oldest son's birthday party at our home. We had an almost-primal meal for everyone: tomato-zucchinisoup with little meatballs (a traditional here in Belgium ), oven-roasted chicken thighs and rice with pineapple-curry-sauce; all homemade of course! D wanted Nutella-cake (recipe by Nigella Lawson), no need to adapt it much, as it's already grain-free. I did make it with a jar of real Nutella (I could have made it with my own, homemade "nOtella", but decided to 'treat' the sons with the real deal...middle son prefers my homemade version though ), I also made a grainfree apple-cake. I had a piece of both and have to say, I don't remember why I used to loooooove that nutella-cake (it was one of my favorite before-paleo)??? I very much preferred my (grainfree, refined sugar-free) apple-cake yesterday! I also had 2 glasses of white wine (exceptionally, I usually drink red wine - for once the white wine didn't give me acid reflux though).
    Today it's back to "basics" : no added sugar whatsoever!

Oh, I also got me some supplements: I decided to try the vitex I've been reading about around here, because since I stopped with hormonal birth control (nuvaring) almost 2 years ago I have very painful menstruation the first day (I need painkillers that one day to be able to just walk around straight). I never had those problems before/during birth control. I'm also much more irregular since then. I'm also taking kelp and maca. I've been taking these for 4 days now, so can't really tell any difference yet. I haven't been cold anymore though, my hands and feet are nice and warm! I'm kind of hoping the kelp will also help re-starting the weight loss (haven't lost a gram yet ) and to feel the difference between the sheets. I know for sure DH wouldn't mind me jumping him every now and then *grin*. I'll keep you posted!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I'm excited to see how you do on the Maca. Tomi and I both decided it wasn't helping so we're going to try Vitex instead.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Candy - that cake is gorgeous So glad more people are hearing about your bakery! I would use you for sure if you were any closer... my birthday cake for DH flopped It tastes great, but for some reason it puffs up beautifully for a while and then flops and ends up with a sunken in middle :P I thought I would ask the baker for advice ...
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 14th 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 224.8 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"You are free to choose, BUT you are not free from the consequences of your choices."

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Are we going to see any of your photos? Are there any that are forum "safe"?
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

ulnauy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    that looks incredibly tasty

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm excited to see how you do on the Maca. Tomi and I both decided it wasn't helping so we're going to try Vitex instead.
    Not noticing any difference with the Maca :/ . I've upped the dose to 2mg now.
    I'm am absolutely happy with the Vitex though!!! Since I stopped hormonal birth control my period has been really irregular (sometimes with a week or more difference), TOM was 7 days long and very, verrrrrryyyyy painful (like: having to take minimum 3 painkillers to get through the first day). After only 2 weeks of taking the vitex I got to TOM right on time; I only had some normal discomfort, was less bloated AND best of all: it was done and over with in 3 days only!!! What a relief!

@Coll: if you give me the recipe I could have a look at it for you and see if I can find out what happens.

@wineandcandy: I've seen 30 pictures thus far, and am not ashamed of my kids seeing them. There are a few I wouldn't mind putting on the forum .

@ulnauy: thank you and welcome to my journal!

Soooo, what happened the last few weeks? Well, last week I've been ill (first throat infection since going paleo! And I know where this came from: stress because of eldest son being in trouble again *Le big Sigh*). The week before we had holidays, and I've been really busy.
    I ended my 42 day health challenge. No weight lost, no inches lost, a status quo . I'm reading about the 21 Day Sugar Detox and will start that on March 4th. I'm also thinking about ratio's, calories, percentages, trying to figure out what works for me.
    [RANT] I'm a bit angry at my SIL (DH's sister): she told my mom (they're friends since many years, that's how I met DH ) that she's so worried she can't sleep at night, because of my youngest son's health. She thinks he's really skinny, too skinny. HUH, where did that come from??? OK, my youngest son lost about 4 kg (8.80 lb) over the last 18 months. He's 10 year old and now weighs 81 lb. He's 4.92 ft tall. According to children's growth tables and BMI calculator he is tall for his age (with only 5% of boys his age being taller than him) and he has a BMI of 16 (BMI 13,7-19,84 is 'normal' range for boys his age). She sees my boys once every few months, last time she saw them was at eldest's birthday party at the beginning of this month. He's a picky eater, so maybe she saw him not eating too much at that moment, but I really do make sure my boys get all their nutrients! It's not because I don't buy them sugary crap and junk food that I don't feed them good food!!! My boys get all the vegetables, fruits, meat, fish and eggs they want; I make them 'paleofied' treats so they don't feel they have to miss out on stuff, so they do get cookies (although a healthier version of those sold in supermarkets); they get real butter and good coconut oil. My boy starts 5 days out of 7 with a mug of homemade chocolate milk (made from RAW, full fat milk, raw organic cocoa and a little maple syrup). My children eat bread and pasta (although a lot less than they used to) and even pizza once in a while! He's a healthy boy and hasn't been sick all winter!!! He has energy to run around, he was out in the garden all weekend helping his dad, cutting branches! 2 years ago he was overweight and chubby and had no energy, is that how she thinks my boy should be??? Fat and sick????? AAAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!!! Comments like this coming from someone who survives on low-fat yogurt and fruit and "heart healthy" margarines on full wheat bread and always complaining she can't eat anything more if she doesn't want to gain weight drive me crazy! And they hurt, A LOT! I think maybe she should think of her own children (and grandchildren) if she really wants to worry over something/someone; and leave the worrying about my kids to ME! Luckily my mom knows L is just fine (she sees the kids several times a week) and told her not to worry.

I talked about it with DH and he sent her a text message that she doesn't need to worry about L, that he has a healthy weight and length, and most of all a healty self image and that if she's so concerned about our boys' health she can always call him to talk about it and doesn't need to alarm other people. [/RANT]

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Something you should consider while doing these multi week challenges is that you will not likely see a shift in weight during the time. It's a winter thing. Your body will try it's damn near hardest to gain or maintain weight during the winter as a survival method. That's why you see no one on the boards posting weight loss. Once spring rolls around you'll see a loss again as your body will want to shed fat the same way animals shed fur. It's all part of the natural process and nothing to be discouraged by . After my initial loss when I started paleo (almost 40lbs of water weight from mid November to the end of December 2011) I didn't see weight loss again til the end of April 2012. I lost my next 40 some odd lbs from April to September and as true to cycle I haven't seen a weight loss since September.

Give it time hun. That doesn't mean you don't eat healthy during the winter though- you'll pack it on hardcore if you eat crap (which is what our bodies want to do to a certain degree but not to the degree you see happening to everyone around us).
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, I never considered that! Thanks for the encouragement, ecks, just what I needed! I'll keep that in mind doing the 21DSD. I need to do this anyway, because I feel sugar is a BIG problem, even if it's the healthier kinds (maple, honey, coconut crystals) . And guess what I just bought : maple butter. Only ingredient: 100% maple syrup. It is good, it is dangerously good! I'll need to hide it away at the back of the fridge and forget it's there for the rest of the month . Did you know it's NOT a good idea to be hungry when shopping? I also bought those little filled easter eggs, for the kids right? Uhu, right....I know where winenandcandy's dragon is right now!!!

My mum started weight watchers *sigh*. She went to the first meeting yesterday evening. They offered "low fat" potato crisps (read: puffy oven-baked potato-flakes crap) and "no sugar" toffees . Man this maddens me so much!!!! JUST CUT THE CRAP PEOPLE! WW doesn't teach you to eat RIGHT, to eat HEALTHY things! It teaches you to count points and suffer all day, so that you can eat that pudding, or tiramisł, or low-fat-yoghurt-with-artificial-fruit-and-sweeteners in the evening . I begged my mum to continue eating butter and NOT go back to margarine (poisonnnnnn), and to eat a full fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit instead of that 0-fat crap! I tried not to be too negative about it, but it's not easy....

Page 69 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast