Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy in Primal Wonderland page 68

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good morning everyone . It's really winter in my corner of the world: we had more snow and it's still freezing...and it ain't over yet! I love this so much more than the dreary, drizzling weather we've had until december! Although I realize it's not all fun for people who have to be outside a lot.
    Still going strong on the W30, although I did have 'SWYPO' yesterday : I ate paleo pancakes (recipe by the Paleo Parents). But it was a conscience decision, not a craving; all the ingredients were perfectly W30 approved, no added sweeteners etc. . I'm not considering this a fail. I ate them with baked apple slices. After the kids had breakfast there were some leftover, so I ate the last ones this morning, with some nut-butter on top of them. Moving on .
    I've made an average of my macro's this week:
    kcal: 1598
    Protein: 21% (% of calories) or 86 gr
    Fat: 57% (% of calories) or 103 gr
    Carbs: 22% (% of calories) or 92 gr

I don't feel like I've lost any weight. I know I shouldn't focus on that, but I would be really happy with some weight loss. My close are not any looser; well yes, they are compared to last week but that's only because it was "that time of the month" which makes me bloat and look like I'm 6 months pregnant *sigh* although I have to say there was a lot less bloating this month compared to last month! Only 4 months pregnant this time .
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

2 weeks of Whole30 gone and I haven't lost a single gram . I'm normally the one motivating the others in our Health Challenge group, but at this moment I'm having a hard time . I'm not cheating, I'm doing all the good things, but apparently not good enough? And of course the men in the group are bragging about all the weight they're losing! These are my averages over the last 2 weeks, what do you think? Should I go lower in carbs? I'm kind of scared to do that....I think going VLC is what caused my hair loss when I first started paleo/primal.
    week kcal Protein % Fat % Carbs % Protein gr Fat gr Carbs gr
    1 1646 22% 56% 21% 93 106 93
    2 1598 21% 57% 22% 86 103 92

I've started reading "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Has anyone read this book? I think her approach is more WAPF, but there is A LOT of information in that book! I actually bought it because I want to learn about fermentation, I didn't expect this wealth of information!

ecks is offline Senior Member
    :P you're not supposed to weigh during a whole30. Some people don't start feeling any effect of Whole30 until the last few days. Even further you have to keep in mind that weighing in early can discourage you from continuing on and succeeding (not to mention that it will ruin your relationship with food). Honestly (and I feel like a broken record at this point). Check out "It Starts With Food". It's the book written by the people who created the Whole30 program and it's outstanding.

Try cut the sugars for a few days. Bring your carbs as low as you can go really and really up the fats and the protein. I know it sounds scary but you have to trust that fat will not harm you (fat is your friend!).
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Ecks, I read the book, I KNOW I'm not supposed to weigh... I'm not afraid of fat, in the past 2 weeks my average fat intake has been 57% of calories; protein 22% and carbs 21%. What scares me is going VLC. I lost lots and lots of hair on low-carb last year, don't want to go back to that! Also: I'm feeling cold most of the time, my feet and hands are freezing! I read several articles where it says that being cold (especially feet and hands) is a tell-tale sign of weak thyroid function and going VLC makes it worse. I notice right away when I eat a little more carbs I'm less cold. There are other signs (like lack of sex drive etc.). No chance of me going VLC soon. First I'm going to do some more investigation on this. I want to loose weight, I don't want to loose my health!
    Anyhow, I'm in a better mental place today . I've hidden the scale and don't intend to jump back on until the end of my W42. And maybe I'll stop tracking my macro's because it's freaking me out.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Tracking might be effecting you as well...

I wonder what the imbalance in you may be. Maybe it would help if you got thyroid checked? I know you've likely read this but I'm posting it here anyways... I thought it was a good read.

A Different Perspective on Hypothyroidism | Mark's Daily Apple
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Thanks, I'm going to read it tonight. So far for being in a better mental place, I feel like crying right now and just shouted at my oldest son. I'm tired too, although last night I went to sleep at 9 and slept without waking up.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    2 weeks of Whole30 gone and I haven't lost a single gram . I'm normally the one motivating the others in our Health Challenge group, but at this moment I'm having a hard time . I'm not cheating, I'm doing all the good things, but apparently not good enough?
    Is this your 1st Whole 30/42?
    I did a Whole 30 in my 1st year. (End of Jan, 2011, post #677) Well, I called it 30 DONN (30 Days of No Nonsense)
    I didn't call it W30 because I included butter
    It was not a good experience for me My results are on post #857
    I didn't lose any weight, but I lost inches. All it did was cause me stress.

These were my answers to the question: Was it worth it?

"Yes, because it made me more aware of what I was eating. I proved to myself that I can say NO – even to wine or dark chocolate. And I LOVE the 1” off my thigh But was that because of 30 DONN or C25K? And was the .5” on my arms from 30 DONN or the Pull Up Challenge?

And

No, because I HATED the panicky feeling when I was presented with a food that did not meet the “rules”. I HATED the “guilty” “cheating” feeling when I ate something with a “forbidden” food in it. The cheese in the omlette, the corn in the beef stew…to me that is heading towards a strict “diet” (instead of a way of life) and possibly towards eating disorders.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

It's my second W30. I did one in september too.

I've been reading some articles and I truly think my thyroid isn't doing too great a job. I might be one of those women who do really bad on low carb. I'm cold most of the time, the energy I had in the first week is now gone and I'm feeling tired most of the time, my sex drive is non-existing (and I'm right after TOM, so I should be feeling all sexy and glowing and salacious, I normally do in the week after TOM!), I'm even feeling quite down which is not normal for me. I'm still taking vit. D and Omega 3, so that's not changed. I have been under a lot of stress last month; this is better now, but I feel I can't cope with stress so well right now.

I'm going to try to up my starchy carb (and glucose) intake: eat starchy tubers every day, limit fruit to banana's and berries (they have more glucose and less fructose) and get my carb to at least 100 gr/day. Not sure if I want to track though, because it seems to be messing with my mind.

OK, so my feet (and hands) were freezing all morning. I was inside and it was 20°C in the house. I had an omelette with spinach and a sweet potato at lunch. Half an hour after lunch I could literally feel my feet warm up! I was still in the house, doing exactly the same things as before. My feet haven't been cold for the rest of the day.

I'm quitting this Whole30 and I'm going to call it a sugar detox instead. So for the rest of the 42 day Health challenge I will re-introduce raw dairy (milk, sour cream, butter) and some white potatoes. Sweet potatoes are expensive here in Belgium, they are imported from either America or Israel. I think eating locally is much more primal, better for health and the environment. Grok did NOT have airplanes. And Ötzi didn't eat sweet potatoes for sure. I will still eat sweet potatoes now and then, just because I like them. But will concentrate on locally harvested starchy tubers .
    I will still avoid alcohol and all sweeteners. I will eat fruit, but will go for fruits higher in glucose and lower in fructose.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's always about the n=1 isn't it? Finding what works for you is the only way - and boy, sometimes its really hard to find!!!! I'm doing the HFLC - and its working good for me. I have to keep carbs up around 20% (30-40 grams) or I don't sleep well. I have noticed more hair fallout, but not enough to make me want to stop doing this. I am losing weight on the HFLC so I'm sticking to it. My sweet spot is staying really low on total calories. If I step above 1400 I don't see a weight loss - my sweet spot to drop 1-2 pounds per week is right around 1100 calories. I'm really want to drop over the next couple months so I'm going to shoot for 1000-1100 calories, 65%% fat, 20% prot, 15%% carbs.

It's a process........... but when you find the right combination and the weight starts to come off steady - its a pretty good feeling!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Things I choose to let go:

All grains - including rice
    Refined sugars
    Legumes - including peanut butter
    Nuts and nut butters
    Alcohol and soda
    Chocolate
    Acidic foods, such as pineapple and tomato
    Coffee and tea
    Eggs
    Curry
    White potato
    Dairy - including butter

I'm choosing to do this......... I don't HAVE to.

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Page 68 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast