Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy in Primal Wonderland page 67

ecks is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Are the percentages off? You've got carbohydrates marked at a lower percentage than fat but there is 18g more carb then fat.

And yes, of course I wish
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    The percentage is percentage of calories. Fat has more calories per gram than carbs, that's why these numbers look a bit odd .

Yesterday my ratios were better! I didn't have a "real" breakfast, instead had bone broth, coffee with coconut cream and half way the morning a tablespoon of almond butter. Then lunch: avocado-tuna-sushi: mix 1 avocado, 1 can of tuna (drained), 1 tablespoon homemade paleo-mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, green olives and wrap in Nori sheets.
    Dinner was crockpot beef stew, sauteed mushrooms and chicory. After a 2 hour workout at CrossFit (1 "normal" Wod, 1 mobility class WOD) I had an orange.

Energy: 1468 calories
    Source Calories Quantity
    Protein 23% 87g
    Fat 61% 104g
    Carbs 17% 64g
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

So, I'm investigating on how to make sourdough with buckwheat, in order to make bread for my boys. They're the only ones still eating bread, but I'd like to give them a healthier (read: glutenfree) alternative than what I buy at the bakery right now. It'll be a little time consuming in the beginning, but I know that once I get the sourdough going it's not that much work. The dough only needs long resting times .

And I finally have a goal on the goal board in our CrossFit gym! On this board everyone can write their CrossFit goal for the new year. The board is getting quite full, but I couldn't think of any goal for myself. I don't feel the need to set a (new) PR on any WOD. Unlike some people I've mastered double unders when I was still carrying my hair in 2 ponytails (and let me tell you, that is a looooooong time ago, like 35 years or so!) and I'm still quite good at it . But I was reminded of my nemesis on Wednesday's Mobility WOD: handstands. I can do them. I KNOW I can do them - I've done a few last year. But I just freeze when I have to do them. Every.single.time. It's like a mental block, a fear that just paralyzes me! And I don't understand why: I never hurt myself doing handstand, I never fell badly. Maybe I'm just scared that my arms and shoulders aren't able to carry my weight, maybe there's a little dark corner at the back of my brain where I'm still convinced that I'm a) obese and b) still suffering from fibromyalgia and thus c) physically not capable of doing a handstand? I don't know. But that's what I'm bound to find out this year. And that's what I've written on the goal board: this year I want to overcome this fear. This is the year I'll do "fearless" handstands!

This is what I ate yesterday (is anyone interested in this stuff anyway?)
    Breakfast: homemade bone broth, cup of coffee with coconut milk
    Lunch: leftover crockpot beef stew, sauteed mushrooms and some leftover parsnip-carrot mash
    Dinner: tomato-paprikasoup made with the leftover “gravy” of yesterday’s stew; beef patty, 1 avocado, leftover chicory, roasted beetroots
    Snack: 1 tablespoon almond butter mid-morning, 1 more after dinner to up my fat intake (was a bit low on calories and especially fat)
    Drinks: 2 cups of coffee, a mug of Kill all the bugs tea (without honey, but with addition of Chai spices and coconut cream), a mug of mint tea, water

This translated to: 1395 calories
    Source Calories Quantity
    Protein 25% 90g
    Fat 52% 85g
    Carbs 23% 85g
    Last edited by Candy in Wonderland; 01-11-2013 at 06:32 AM. Reason: the eats, forgot the eats!

Crossfit gyms around here are too over crowded. It's almost stressful just looking for open time slots so I've gone back to a conventional gym.

As for food logs... no body cares... but it makes for a good accountability. It's for you not us. By posting publicly you are reminded during the day that others could be watching.

As for bread solutions:
    The Paleo Bread Search is Officially Over!

Enjoy! I've done it with macadamia nut butter and it works quite well.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    Woohoow I'm so excited! I'm going to do a sexy, lingerie-photo-shoot next month!
    Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Sugar doesn't effect me nearly as powerfully as grains, so its a bit easier to slip with that.
    Yes!

Then lunch: avocado-tuna-sushi: mix 1 avocado, 1 can of tuna (drained), 1 tablespoon homemade paleo-mayonnaise, sun-dried tomatoes, green olives and wrap in Nori sheets.
    What an interesting lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by ecks View Post
    As for bread solutions:
    The Paleo Bread Search is Officially Over!

Enjoy! I've done it with macadamia nut butter and it works quite well.
    Hmmm, I may have to try that!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Thanks for the link, ecks! But 'bread' made from nutbutter is really expensive (nutbutters cost A LOT here!) and my kids don't like it as much. I think/hope buckwheat (which actually isn't a grain, but a pseudo-grain like quinoa and therefore glutenfree) will be more like 'real bread' to my picky boys. They mostly eat what we eat, but sometimes they just want a sandwich. And by fermenting it (with the sourdough) it should loose most of the anti-nutrients.

So winter has finally returned to Belgium. After weeks and weeks of rain and temperatures around 10 - 12C, the sun is back and so are the freezing temperatures. This morning it was -6C when I left for work, brrrr! Yesterday afternoon I've been outside the whole afternoon, because we had our annual New Years drink in our street. I'm one of the organizers, so had to be there all the time. We made 3 kinds of soup (I made spicy pumpkin soup), there was hot chocolate, mulled wine and different kinds of "jenever" (typical Belgian alcoholic drink), cupcakes, marshmallows and salted cookies. I only had a cup of tea and 2 cups of my own spicy pumpkin soup (W30 approved) and it wasn't even hard to stick to my W42! When people asked if I was on a diet because I didn't drink or eat, I said I was just doing 6 weeks of clean eating. It doesn't FEEL like a diet, it's not something I have to do, it's something I want to do. Not because I need to loose weight (although my goal for this year is to loose about 10 kg), but because I want my body to be healthy. That is such a mind-shift for me. That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Nice job! Its always hard to not join in when there are so many others 'indulging'.......... so I hope you gave yourself a big pat on the back for staying clean and true to your goals! HIGH FIVES!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering about buckwheat. I should experiment with it because it is quite cheap here. The almond/nut butter breads are just too expensive for me, although they are quite good. I haven't found a good cauliflower bread recipe yet. Obviously I would like to keep carbs low, and cauliflower bread has got to be lower than almond butter.

Nice work on the eating and on answering questions!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .
    That's the best part about these resets is that they make you feel more normal then when you are on paleo. There's no moment of "should I have it or should I not?" and there is less likely hood of giving it because clean lines are drawn. When there is temptation you can give into you feel like you're on a diet but a good solid no makes you feel like you're in control!

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When people asked if I was on a diet because I didn't drink or eat, I said I was just doing 6 weeks of clean eating. It doesn't FEEL like a diet, it's not something I have to do, it's something I want to do. Not because I need to loose weight (although my goal for this year is to loose about 10 kg), but because I want my body to be healthy. That is such a mind-shift for me. That is the biggest mental accomplishment of paleo for me: not feeling like I'm on a diet. It truly is a lifestyle .
    That mind shift is the key.
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 67 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast