Page 47 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Thread: Candy in Primal Wonderland page 47

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    DH and I went to a 'european folk dance fair' last week; there were several Italian food stalls (amongst others, also France and Spain were well represented). One of the Italian vendors is staying at my moms house for the summer months (with his wife and son), they're really nice people. One of the other Italian food stalls was all about sweets and cookies, but they did have a large array of gluten-free items! I caved for 2 pieces of 'torrone morbido' (soft nougat): one with mixed red berries and one with cherries (both with lot of almonds). OMG it is soooo good! I know the only 'bad' ingredient in it is really bad (white sugar but NO grains!), but I'm proud to say I've just had a small piece each day and I still have half a piece to go! In pre-primal times I would have finished the stuff in less than a day, I'm pretty sure.

I've been working on 'primal treats recipes' as well and did have some success: a really great blueberry 'semifreddo' (made with mascarpone), dairy free 'panna cotta', a really soft and spongy almond-applecake and I finally made primal chocolate chip cookies DS3 loves! I'm getting confident that I'll be able to fill a book with "gluten-free" recipes . The no-cheese-cake (dairy free) is still a challenge, the first trial was....not a success to say the least .
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps knowing that smoking is a leading indicator for impotence might make those cigarettes less appealing to DS1. At that age they don't care about dying, but sex...well, that's another matter entirely!

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Good point, Sabine! Use whatever works!!!! Honestly if it were my son - I'd tell him I won't give him pocket change if he's going to spend it on cigarettes!! Why support his poor habits? No spending money might be enough to help him quit. I have never understood why anyone would start smoking in the first place??? Its gross........ it smells horrible and makes the smoker smell like a stale ash tray.......... and its terribly expensive! In the states it costs about $5.00 a pack now because of all the taxes they've added too try to "encourage" people to stop doing it! So a pack a day-er will spend $150 a month just to suck on a stick and get nasty smoke in their lungs! I'm SOOOO happy I never started! My mom was a smoker, as was her dad, and 2 of my 3 sisters and their husbands all smoked. I think they have all quit now. So I definitely got the second hand smoke growing up.

Oh well........... I don't get it - but I also don't understand what people go through when they try to stop - I know its REALLY hard!

Candy - I also work pt -- Monday - Thursday afternoons, and if there isn't much for me to do, I might only work an hour or 2 instead of the entire afternoon.

The food festival sounds wonderful - and GOOD job! on just nibbling! In my former years I would have found some nice chocolate-peanut clusters and ate a whole bagfull!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Tricia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy in Wonderland View Post
    Now all we need is nicer weather!
    2nd
    Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. ---George Bernard Shaw
    When you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

SUMMER IS FINALLY HERE! Yay, blue sky and nice temperatures since Saturday afternoon and they're going to last until Thursday .
    TMI warning: I've been having a bit of constipation ever since going primal, not a real problem but last week that resulted in a bad case of hemorrhoids , literally a pain in the ass. And then Thursday this happened: PITA + TOM = double whammy AUCH! It was so bad I had to skip my CrossFit WOD! Luckily it's finally getting better. I also finally found some good probiotics and started taking those on Friday and I'm seeing a big difference: I can go every day now (instead of every 2 - 3 days) and also consistency is much better. Happy tummy, happy butt, happy me .

On Friday I've made the best primal "nutella-cookies" ever! ALL my sons AND husband love them (me too, but I'm easier to please ). They were so good I instantly made a second batch and took them to CrossFit on Saturday to share with our CF buddies, they were all enthusiastic. I'm baking a lot lately, tweaking recipes, because I really want to make a gluten-free dessert cookbook! And it's going great, I already have some really good recipes (including the above cookies). I try to make my recipes as primal/paleo as possible, but some will include dairy (others are dairy-free) and some will include sugar (most recipes use coconut-palm-sugar, honey, maple syrup or dates as sweetener). My next challenge is making Macarons de Paris, and I think it would be very hard to make them with an alternative sweetener. But whatever I bake at least it's all grain-free, no compromises there!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    When I went out on Friday the restaurant had a luscious bakery display. One of their offerings was Nutella cheesecake. None for me, but I brought a slice home for my daughters(Nutella fans) to share. They said it was divine. How about a primal version of that?

I'm working on that . My first attempt at making a no-cheesecake (i.e. dairy-free version of cheesecake) turned out way too heavy, DH and I both ate 2 pieces and threw away the rest. Primal cheesecake (as in: with cheese but no grains) would be a lot easier though .

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm! Might have to stay off your journal during the baking phase! Those nutella cookies sound good. Probably should not send me the recipe. Sounds like fun though:-) I bet it sounds funny to lots of people to hear about you baking when the temperatures are so high in so many places. I think you and I are really lucky. I'd rather have the 60's and 70's than the 80's, 90's, and 100's any day. I mean, nice hot soups and baked squash. Yep! Yummy!

70's and 80's are ok, most important is NO RAIN for at least a few days . This week weather is going to be nice, Friday we might reach 85 and there's an increased risk of thunderstorms (more rain *sigh*). Don't know what next week will bring, so we're enjoying every sunny day . No baking this week, as I'm making birth gifts (little gift with sugared almonds to give to people when they visit the newborn) for my brother and SIL's baby (due August 18th!). DH and I will be godparents .

I'm having a bit of a morning mood today; our neighbors are on holiday and left their pets home alone. My DS1 is taking care of the pets (1 cat, 1 dog, 2 gerbils, 1 rabbit, 2 water turtles), feeding them and making sure dog and cat can go out. But the dog just can't stay alone at night! When DS1 goes to close the door for the night and then leaves, he first starts howling. This normally ends after a short time. But tonight at 3:30 am the damn dog started scratching on the door between the living room and the stairwell CONTINUOUSLY; as hour houses are mirrored and attached with 1 wall, this resonates in OUR stairwell and kept us awake the whole time until it was time to get up. I was so pissed , touch my sleep and I become a monster! So today is NOT a good day, I've been nibbling on nuts all morning (and it's only 9:30am yet) because that's what I do when I didn't have enough sleep: eat, graze, nibble all day. And go for coffee, right now!

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Easy fix! Take the dog to bed with you. He's scared and lonely and wonders where his people are. Semi-teasing about the in bed part, although he'd love it, but maybe in your bedroom? When people leave their animals behind, they don't realize the fears some of those animals have. It's like the bottom of their world dropped out. Imagine one of your family members just disappearing with no explanation. For many animals, they think their people are permanently gone and start grieving.

Hope you get some sleep tonight. Sleep deprivation is the absolute pits!

Page 47 of 87 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast