Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is cardio really unnecessary? page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

Is cardio really unnecessary?

Primal Fuel
    I absolutely hate running. I love long walks and I've got no problem with sprinting and weight training though. I know mark advices against cardio but is it really completely unneccesary to sometimes run for 20 mins? Doesn't it have any health benefits that sprinting and walking don't have?

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    I think running for 20 minutes will make you better at running for 20 minutes. I'm not a runner at all. I'm average height and built somewhat stocky. I'm slow and likely don't have but average genetics when it comes to distance/cardio abilities. I will however occasionally run a mile or a little more just for the hell of it as I do think it has its place in overall fitness. I do a couple 5K's a years and still rely mostly on sprinting. I'll do a longer run or two at the most as the race gets near. I have no dellusions of winning a race or ever coming close. Its just a good workout doing something different than my usual routine. Its not over the top extreme or I wouldn't do it.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    I used to hate running too! It is definitely an acquired taste, but if you force yourself to do it for a few weeks, it quickly gets easier and - dare I say it - can actually become FUN!

I wrote an article about beginning running that I think you'll enjoy reading: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! Beginning Running
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    nope. running is not necessary. all the benefits it could have for your heart you will also get from sprinting and lifting, and walking too. running sort of became the popular way to get healthy and lose weight a few decades ago on the recommendations of medical professionals, but science has uncovered a lot of information since then. moving slowly, sprinting and lifting will give you tremendous health benefits. some people (i'm one) just like running, so we keep doing it, but it's not necessary (though i think it is good for rounding out your fitness).

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Mark's case is against chronic cardio, not cardio. Most people won't get even close to chronic cardio. You're probably fine if you're running less than 50k a week.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    Mark's case is against chronic cardio, not cardio. Most people won't get even close to chronic cardio. You're probably fine if you're running less than 50k a week.
    That's what, like 30 miles or so for us Americans? LOL That to me is most definitely chronic!! But again, I am not a natural built runner. That would tear me up in no time. I'm sure those who are genetically geared for running could handle it more easier.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I used to run 7 miles a day, 6 days a week. Definitely overdid it.

When I switched to Primal I quit running, thinking it was entirely unnecessary. I was wrong, and I miss it.

I'm getting back into running again but I'm not looking to pound out the mileage I did before. I think I'll be content doing 20, or there about.

tplank is offline Senior Member
    For me, it seems that less running has meant better running. Of course, I run at a pretty pathetic level. After reading what Mark and others had to say about exercise, I went from about 35 miles per week down to about 10 spread out over two days. In exchange, I added a sprint day and two to three intense weight days. I also worked on increasing my running speed slowly. After about six months, I've dropped from a ten minute per miler to almost 8 on a 10K. I've always been extremely slow and not a natural runner, but that seems to be changing slowly. I think for me that less is more. And I certainly agree that running isn't necessary though sprinting and lifting is.

skink531 is online now Senior Member
    I have never liked running either. I focus on lifting with a sprint day thrown in, and that's about it. Recently i started going out for a 3 mile run once in a while just to see how it feels. I know feel better and faster than ever before. I do better with it than friends that think running is THE exercise to get in shape and do it all the time. I will never be a great distance runner, but I don't want to be. I think it's funny how I got better at it by not doing it.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

js290 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    I absolutely hate running. I love long walks and I've got no problem with sprinting and weight training though. I know mark advices against cardio but is it really completely unneccesary to sometimes run for 20 mins? Doesn't it have any health benefits that sprinting and walking don't have?
    If you enjoy running for 20 minutes, then do it. But, "cardio" is a misnomer:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast