Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I so cold? page

Sandie is offline Member

Why am I so cold?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have been following PB for about a month now and generally doing ok. I am losing weight slow and steady. Never hungry and finally gotten off sugar - hardly even crave it anymore ( except for a bit of dark chocolate now and then. I have been low carb ( about 25 - 30 g daily). I used to be hot all the time, bit now that I have been following the paleo life I find that I am always cold. Even when everyone else in the house is warm I am freezing ( temp days it 21 C ( very warm) but I am having to put on extra layers. I keep reading that others feel warmer -- am I doing something wrong or maybe I am just backwards. I also started off with more energy but now find myself getting tired a lot - making a dr appointment to get some blood tests. So.. Is getting colder a normal part of the process or do I need to have my dr check that out?

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Your carbs are too low. Up them to at least 50g. I would consider a carb re-feed (e.g. a high carb day). I found this happened to me after a few months. The fact that it has happened so quick for you is worrying. Wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid checked, but get those carbs up. Some people do well on very low carb, but others don't. Note that Mark's recommendation for carbs is 50-100g for weight loss. I found my sleep suffered, and I eventually started gaining weight when I was low carb for too long. I have come across many reports of this, particularly for women.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    No doubt someone will come and argue the point. I copied this from Mark's 101:

0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning
    Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.

Read more: How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Also, You could be dehydrated~ check your electrolytes.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Are you using coconut oil or milk? That seems to up a lot of peoples temperatures quite a lot. Certainly does me!

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    I realized I was cold and I started taking iodine, on the theory that my thyroid was creeping lower. The weather changed so it is hard to be sure, but I think it has helped. Grizz has a summary of iodine information from the giant thread here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...XWbU92rg/edit#

Sandie is offline Member
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I am making an appointment to have thyroid and vitamin levels checked bit will monitor my liquid intake and up my carbs slightly in the meantime. I do enjoy lots of coconut oil and usually notice how good it makes me feel. I might even attempt to add a bit of iodine to my diet. Thanks again

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandie View Post
    I have been following PB for about a month now and generally doing ok. I am losing weight slow and steady. Never hungry and finally gotten off sugar - hardly even crave it anymore ( except for a bit of dark chocolate now and then. I have been low carb ( about 25 - 30 g daily). I used to be hot all the time, bit now that I have been following the paleo life I find that I am always cold. Even when everyone else in the house is warm I am freezing ( temp days it 21 C ( very warm) but I am having to put on extra layers. I keep reading that others feel warmer -- am I doing something wrong or maybe I am just backwards. I also started off with more energy but now find myself getting tired a lot - making a dr appointment to get some blood tests. So.. Is getting colder a normal part of the process or do I need to have my dr check that out?
    The Scribble Pad: Low carb and thyroid: separating the truth from nonsense.

Red Wire is offline Senior Member
    Being cold is a sign that your metabolism is crashing. Your cortisol is probably elevated, which is what was keeping your energy levels high...at least for a little while. If you continue to restrict carbs, you will most likely begin to gain weight back, and experience sleep issues, and get sick more often. Adrenal fatigue will take its toll on you. Low-carb puts a ton of stress on your system. I would start overfeeding with salty carbs immediately.
    "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Wire View Post
    Being cold is a sign that your metabolism is crashing. Your cortisol is probably elevated, which is what was keeping your energy levels high...at least for a little while. If you continue to restrict carbs, you will most likely begin to gain weight back, and experience sleep issues, and get sick more often. Adrenal fatigue will take its toll on you. Low-carb puts a ton of stress on your system. I would start overfeeding with salty carbs immediately.
    Its not low carbs.....its low calories that leads to this sort of thing. Fat or safe carbs are a fine source for energy if you are healthy. You could increase either if you like to get rid of the cold feeling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast