Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: French Paradox 2.0

Shop Now
    My sister, who lived in france for years, says it's in part le smoking that keeps the french so slim. We snack, they smoke. Not exactly a good trade!

Does anyone know here how French food animals are raised, specifically beef, lamb, rabbit, and duck? Also if a package of eggs says 'plein air' does that mean pastured outdoor chickens, or feedlot outdoor chickens? What about 'bio' dairy products? If I can't figure this out then close enough will have to be good enough, but I'd really like to know.

PS: French women do definitely get fat, at least here in Bretagne. Overweight, yes, and mostly middle age and older. Obese, hardly ever. I see so few obese people that I have actually started keeping a running count (7 sightings in 5 months), without, however, trying to remember if I keep seeing the same people again and again.
    Last edited by MudLily; 03-18-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MudLily View Post

PS: French women do definitely get fat, at least here in Bretagne. Overweight, yes, and mostly middle age and older.
    It's all those butter-based pastries! I was in Nantes for a month and had to resist the urge to stuff my face with kouign amann every single day. Also, as for middle aged women and older getting overweight, I think that's a natural part of ageing and you see it everywhere.

I have no idea what the "plein air" and "bio" designations mean but I would love to know as well.

brittany butter is some of the best butter i have ever had... drool.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    brittany butter is some of the best butter i have ever had... drool.
    As France has often criticized the US, the French Paradox is fraud. There was a study done by the French govt., because it was interested in the marketing. They found like 75% of French cardiologists/pathologists didn't report if the patient died of a cardiac disease. They were padding the books! Eat what makes you feel good but control your BMI (no I'm not gonna fight with you whinny anti-BMI bitches.) If you control your weight your health will be at its maximum. If you have a genetic predisposition, you're fucked. There's no diet that will help you.

Genes are not destiny. Environmental factors seem to have equal footing.

As a French myself, I see no paradox. I lived in the US several times in the past, and what I saw there was a tendency to eat like there's no tomorrow, at every meal, at any time of the day. An obsession with foods of a different kind that we traditionally see in France: while the French have a strong secular culture of fine cuisine (and I am not naive enough to think that peasants of old were fine cooks ... the cultural inheritance comes from a strong aristocracy) and so-called "terroir" (local / regional specifics), it seemed to me that the US food culture is all about size and calories. Moreover, the French city planning and transport system favors more physical activities than that of the US : you don't walk or bike on highways. I saw places in Texan cities where there was no sidewalks. The city plans are inherited from the middle-ages where one had to walk most of the time to get to relevant places such as food markets, etc. The US is too young a society, so its heavy reliance on motorized transport is huge and shadowing other alternatives that require slower speed and more body movement.

All in all, the French eat less and move more. Sounds like conventional wisdom, and in fact, it is

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchFry View Post

All in all, the French eat less and move more. Sounds like conventional wisdom, and in fact, it is
    Yes. Even for the Dutch this rings true. I'm amazed at the grocery stores when I return to my native Canada. Ready meals, cereals, snack products take up rows & rows in any superstore.
    There are also more bikes in the Netherlands than people. And they get used.

Eat fat to stay thin.

And BMI is still garbage. Here's a quarter....go buy yourself a useful stat!

Round Rock, TX Nice place, too bad it's in Texas!
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    Genes are not destiny. Environmental factors seem to have equal footing.
    I completely disagree. In fact, the evidence for "environmental factors" is almost nil, short of toxic water and air. Based on reading your many posts, I'm presuming that you are mostly thinking of diet and the like.

Even in the absence of any and all environmental negatives - as if we could attain that, but bear with me - our "use by" date is genetically determined. There are people who live generally healthy life styles and never make it to 70. There are people who have lived long lives while eating pretty much SAD and not doing exercise. That would describe most of my deceased relatives. Expiration dates of 90's and 100's. That's over a wide range of geographies, professions, and time frames.

What is considered nutritious food keeps changing. And to be able to correlate diet with longer or shorter life is really, really tough. I look on eating what appears to be nutritious foods nothing more than stacking the deck a bit in my favor. But in the end, literally, it won't make a huge difference in how long or how well I live. Operative adjective, huge.