Thread: Why am I repelled by meat all of a sudden? page

kpdoula is offline Junior Member

Why am I repelled by meat all of a sudden?

Shop Now
    I've been Primal for three weeks. The last couple of days I've been having aversions to meat - like, all meat. And eggs too somewhat. What's that all about?

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Wow! I've had the same thing several times since I started primal (1/16/12). The first time, about Day 4, I had some ice cream and went right back to primal the next day. Definitely a whimpey, no control, non primal solution, but I was just starting out.

It's happened twice since. I finally figured out something that works for me. If I can't stand the idea of having meat of some sort (fish, red meat, white meat, fowl, eggs) at least once a day, I IF (intermittent fast = go without one meal). It's amazing how well that works. The next meal -- with animal protein -- sounds soooo good. And I don't have dairy and nuts to compensate for no meat. I just IF and: "Body, you can deal!" Definitely works:-)

Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in trying to analyze everything, so I try to go for simple solutions.

Hope you get lots of ideas so you can find one that works for you:-) Frustrating, yes?
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

billp is offline Senior Member
    You've probably eaten too much meat and other proteinatious food like eggs. Eat something else with more carbohydrate. My great discovery through this forum was how nice sweet potatoes were, especially when peeled, cut up small and fried in lard until soft. I'd never eaten one before. Everyone needs to vary their diet a bit.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know for sure. I've gone through periods of being a little "sick" of eggs -- probably when I've eaten too many. I'm always trying to up my protein intake and eggs a pretty good way to go. The thing that seems to help is to mix it up.

Are you basically eating the same few types of meat/protein over and over again? Is it being prepared similarly?

I try to get all kinds of meats:
    -beef (ground in dishes, steaks, roasts, grilled vs. slow cooked)
    -pork (bacon obviously , lean cuts, fattier cuts, grilled, smoked, stews)
    -chicken (white meat, dark meat, whole chickens, roasted, fried, barbequed)

We started eating lamb recently!

Don't forget about fish! There's always a new variety to try it seems. "Stand-bys" for me are salmon, cod, flounder, tuna. Our local Trader Joes has frozen Wild Caught Yellowfin Tuna steaks for 4.99/lb which I really like a lot.

When it comes to eggs, I've tried to mix up the ways I prepare them from more than just scrambled and fried. Frittatas and things like "egg muffins" with other stuff in them are a nice change. Another thing I've noticed is if I must do scrambled (in a hurry) that if I throw in other stuff like random mixed veggies (chopped onion, asparagus pieces, even broccoli pieces or spinach leaves) that the whole thing will taste less "eggy" and that usually make it easier to eat if I'm getting a little sick of eggs.

Another option is if you can find some REAL Greek Yogurt (not the Fat Free crap) then have that as it's got a good amount protein as well as a nice hit of healthy fats AND a probiotic.
    Last edited by tim_1522; 03-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    'too much of a good thing'

take a break from meat, eat everything else a while
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

kpdoula is offline Junior Member
    Wow! Thanks everone. Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels "meat-sick". I do try to mix things up quite a bit but I could certainly do better. I feel like I need to eat veggies all day tomorrow...like a veggie fast. I'll also try to get some full-fat Greek yogurt and sweet potatoes. Sounds great!

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    My wife is Catholic (full disclosure, I'm Lutheran) and this is the first Lent we have gone through since going Primal. I've actually looked forward to Fridays as I have been using it as a way to challenge myself by doing (as you put it) a "veggie fast" for most of the day on Fridays and then trying to stretch my horizons when it comes to fish/seafood.

It's quite a bit different from when we'd have cheese pizzas, grilled cheese, etc. and be pretty miserable.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I remember after my first month of 5 eggs ever morning, I was sick of eggs. But now I mix it up a bit, recently I've been eating my eggs with a huge portion of sautéed spinach. With extra garlic no less. Don't forget that you have a tremendous palette of foods to work with, so take advantage of it.

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating only muscle meat or have you incorporated organs and broth? You need it all.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpdoula View Post
    I've been Primal for three weeks. The last couple of days I've been having aversions to meat - like, all meat. And eggs too somewhat. What's that all about?
    Health Correlator: How much protein does one need to be in nitrogen balance?
    The Scribble Pad: Quick update: Protein restriciton FTW // The nervous system is extremely important in weight control.