Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone not here for weight loss? page 3

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am interested in feeling better. Part of that is weight loss, but being fat has never kept me on a program before. What keeps me coming back to primal, is how awful I feel when I am not eating right. The eating is the largest component of it for me so far. Next up in my version of primal, is making sure I get enough sleep, sunlight and slow movement.
    I think many of us focus on 'weight loss' because a large indicator of our poor health is our weight. When that comes down, we start feeling better. That said, I am still over-weight, but feeling great. I don't worry as much about the weight coming off as long as I feel this good. (This does not prevent me from being happier when I lose pounds and inches!)
    Lex 26 has a new component to her journal, which I am thinking of incorporating: what she is doing to reduce her stress levels.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Well, I used to never read into nutritional science. I used to be strictly invested in my skin's health.

After probably a year of day-in-day-out reading on what affects skin, you'll soon realize how incredibly FRUSTRATING it is to pinpoint the right diet for skin. Skin has multi-variable causes.

However, one day I was on my elliptical in the gym and I had just downloaded the book "Why We Get Fat" (Gary Taubes). I was down to about 170 lbs. Then Gary started telling me that everything I knew about nutrition and exercise is WRONG, and had very strong points to back it up.

Ever since then, the set-point weight theory and clear skin theory of diet has had a strong correlation in the paleo/primal sphere, and I haven't looked back.

Here's the irony: I've found success with weight loss (in progress), but have NOT found success in it clearing my skin. Again, bad skin is multi-variable. Diet can't necessarily correct it. I'm so adamently certain about this fact that anyone try me I'll be ready for a fight! Future paleo derm you're talking to!

So, sadly enough, as much as I'd like to believe I'm a 5'10" female with 180 lb of pure muscle, I'm here now to finish my weight loss journey. After discovering primal eating I broke up with my boyfriend and ate myself to ten pounds. Don't try me on this either! I didn't know how bad Starbucks could do me in! At the side, I enjoy the modest improvements in my acne.
    Last edited by kcarol; 03-10-2012 at 09:08 AM.

huntingBears is offline Senior Member
    have you tried not washing your face with anything, just rubbing in olive oil at night and leaving it, when you wake up your skin looks much better, as is my experience, you'd think it would make acne worse but it makes it better
    If man made it, don't eat it

patski is offline Senior Member
    I've lost weight since going 110% primal (late September), and been losing weight due to fasting. However, it was not my intention to!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I initially went for a diet change because my appetite was out of control and I was in tears fighting against my hunger. I figured weight loss would never happen for me. But once I found relief from my hunger the weight loss happened and I got into that. But honestly at the start I would have been happy to be my then weight and just not feel starving anymore.

Even if weight loss is a boring topic to you if you read some of the weight loss topics you'll see a lot of people are more amazed by the other health benefits.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    here for the food. i'd like to swap maybe 15lbs of fat for muscle, but it's not really the motivating factor as to why i'm here (and it's not really a goal ATM).

erkan is offline Junior Member
    I do not need to loose weight, but in fact after moving to primal now three months ago, I have become even leaner and more muscular. Better food and less exercise (but with heavier weights and alternated with Tabata HIIT sessions).

Brain fog - gone; Sleep - restored; Stress - seriously down; Happiness - up; Blood pressure - down and constant; chocolate cravings - gone; Generally, I feel very good.

I cut the grains, legumes and eat a lot of meat and fatty fish, colourful, in-season vegetables and fat!

Sleep issues and brain-fog were perhaps main drivers to try. It worked and the positive effects went way beyond just those two as described above.

Remember to get enough fat. We are so conditioned on low fat. As said, leaner and meaner than ever, but with serious quantities of bacon, butter, avocados, clotted cream, etc.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erkan View Post
    I do not need to loose weight, but in fact after moving to primal now three months ago, I have become even leaner and more muscular. Better food and less exercise (but with heavier weights and alternated with Tabata HIIT sessions).

Brain fog - gone; Sleep - restored; Stress - seriously down; Happiness - up; Blood pressure - down and constant; chocolate cravings - gone; Generally, I feel very good.

I cut the grains, legumes and eat a lot of meat and fatty fish, colourful, in-season vegetables and fat!

Sleep issues and brain-fog were perhaps main drivers to try. It worked and the positive effects went way beyond just those two as described above.

Remember to get enough fat. We are so conditioned on low fat. As said, leaner and meaner than ever, but with serious quantities of bacon, butter, avocados, clotted cream, etc.

Right on. That's what I noticed the day after I went through a basic Primal eating plan..

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Here for the health benefits. I've lost a lot of pain and ill health by losing some food groups.

Weight (on the scales lol) about the same - don't need to lose any. Body shape changed to leaner however.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm actually trying to put on a few pounds, but what I've gained by eating this way has outweighed that really, I'm just happier to feel better, I never thought I would have eaten some of the stuff that I have in the last six months or so, and loving it! It's got to be the first winter that I haven't caught a cold, which is a result!

Some of the things I've learned/picked up by reading what's been posted on MDA has been useful as well.

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast