Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safer Alternative to Mammogram? page

62shelby Guest

Ok, its not a sexy topic but this will be important information for some of us of a 'certain age'.

I was sent this today and wanted to pass it on. I am dreading getting that first mammogram in a few years and Mercola reckons that thermography is safer alternative and no doubt way less painful.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/06/27/Stop-Read-This-BEFORE-You-Get-that-Mammogram.aspx

Does anyone have any first hand experience of either etc?

Ecala is offline Junior Member

I've been getting mammograms since age 38 - because of family history (my mom had it and did not survive).

Mammograms aren't bad at all! They are just a tiny bit uncomfortable but it's definitely tolerable. I'm quite on the small side though- which probably doesn't help.

I haven't heard of thermography though-- will take a look at the article.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Not owning any breasts, my experience is rather limited.

Wikipedia says the radiation dose is "low." That, to me, seems sort of logical since it is only soft tissue, no bones like chest X-rays or dental. This contradicts what Mercola says, that it's a thousand times stronger than a chest X-ray. Hmmmm...... Does not compute.

Maybe thermography is a better technology, maybe not.

Do your research. We all know that Conventional Wisdom can take us down the wrong path. But sometimes it is correct. Maybe standard mammography is one of those times.

62shelby Guest

Thanks OTB, I do have access to wikipedia etc, and I am doing research, ie asking those with breasts who have first hand experience of either.

.....lol

Miriam Guest

Hi Shelby I have only had a mammogram and it was a bit uncomfortable (imagine being put into a corset and having someone tighten it really hard and then all of a sudden release it), but the woman who was performing the procedure on me was really gentle and understanding and that probably made it a lot easier. Though the next day I couldn’t raise my left arm as I had to have that side rescanned.

Thermography wasn’t offered to me as an option, so I am not too sure if it is widely used here in Australia though my Naturopath said that when she needs to get a breast scan this is the method she would use.

By the way here is an interesting article regarding a new scanner for detection of breast cancer developed at a local uni here in WA:

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=151112

62shelby Guest

Ecala and Miriam, thanks for sharing your experiences. The article on the infra red was interesting, wonder how the assessment phase of it will go, imo the less radiation we can be exposed to the better. I think that when the time comes I would probably have to ask for thermography, pretty sure that mammogram will main option for a while yet to come. Ecala, good to know it hasnt been a big pain getting it as I would fall into the small category too .

maranne is offline Senior Member

hi,

I am 39 now and in Austria general screening for a lot of different health issues seems to be the norm. I had it done when I was in my late 20s and as the other ladies have said before it was not really painful because I was on the smaller side myself as well. It is a bit of an uncomfortable thing being pressed into a position but it doesn't last long and is an effective way to tell if you are ok or not.

So do not be worried!

Hugs

M x

Shelby, I'm surprised you haven't had one yet. I thought they started screening at age 40?

62shelby Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Here in Canada, baseline is 50 if no family history of breast cancer, so when I go for my annual they do a physical check. Guess it will be different when I move to the States. My mother did in fact have breast cancer but it was post menopausal (around 70), after many years of HRT, which I think its generally accepted can be a cause. so glad that we have access to bioidenticals.

I mentioned this thread to my fiance last night and he said something about male breast cancer......I looked it up, one of the causes is.......radiation. hmmm. does radiation have double standards I wonder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast