Thread: Slow Starter, Will Do Better page

Nigel is offline Senior Member

Slow Starter, Will Do Better

Shop Now
    I read The Primal Blueprint over last weekend and am in the process of changing my life. I am 61, 5'11" and 17st 7lbs. Although I carry the weight well. I have carbs in the house and can not bring myself to just throw them out. It will take me another week and a half to eat my porridge, well, it IS winter and then I'll look to changing my breakfasts. We've also got the better part of a 56lb bag of potatoes so they'll be on the menu for a while too. At least I am improving my lunches as I am not now eating the whole wheat sandwich that was traditional.

Looking on the brighter side, I do walk in to town and use a rucksack to carry shopping home. I have also started to do a type of sprint training using my rowing machine. And, I can see how I can improve things in my future.

At present I am taking two types of blood pressure reducing medication, statins and use a steroid inhaler to combat late onset asthma. I hope that by eating better, reducing weight and doing a bit more exercise of the correct types, I shall be able to do away with the blood pressure and statin pills at least. I won't hold my breath about the inhaler but one never knows.

I look forward to learning a lot here and being part of the community.

Nigel.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Nigel.

There's nothing wrong with starting slowly ... whatever suits you. Quite a few people here eat white potatoes so you may not need to give those up.

Walking while loaded with shopping and rowing are great forms of exercise. I'm not making any promises, but many here have been able to come off the meds you are on. Many people go primal primarily to lose weight or get in shape and never dream that the diet will cure various chronic health problems, especially inflammatory/allergy/immune system related problems.

Best of British!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the community! It's just fantastic that you've taken the first steps. Don't worry about the fine tuning of it all just yet, focus on what you want out of it. I still eat white potatoes from time to time, but as you get on with it, you'll notice your body telling you things.

And do listen, my body says that when I eat grains, my joints become enflamed. So I stay away. It's up to you, and what will work for you. Stick with it, you'll see results.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the welcome messages and encouragement. I am not expecting anything, just hoping I have found a way to losing weight and being much more healthy. Not that I have ever stopped doing at least some exercise in the form of walking to and from work. I am now retired and will keep interested by assessing Duke of Edinburgh expedition teams which will mean more walking out in the countryside.

Just finishing off lunch. Prawns, carrots, celery, tomatoes, radishes with a bit of mayonaise, apple, banana and a cup of tea. I am English!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.