Thread: Breakthrough last night!!!! page

Spinman is offline Member

Breakthrough last night!!!!

I went Primal almost exactly a month ago. I weighed about 235 lbs at the time, but those last 10 lbs were new weight put on from Thanksgiving to Christmas. I went Primal 100%, and started to experiment with different exercise routines. Addmitedly, I was ALL over the place. I had read some stuff from Doug McGuff and was dabbling in those types of really, slow intense movements. I spent less time in the gym. I definitely got some sprinting in. I added Vitamin D and fish oil to my diet. After a few weeks I got really frustrated and even posted my frustrations here a couple times. I wasn't losing weight.....I felt soft.....nothing is happening....blah, blah, blah.

ANYWAY...last night I got to the gym just to do one of my old traditional workouts for upper body. I hadn't bench pressed in about 3 weeks. Any chest I was doing was with either bodyweight or high intensity stuff on machines the way that Doug McGuff suggested.

Here was the breakthrough: I got down on the bench to do some warm-ups. Threw 135 on the bar to get the blood flowing. Immediately I thought to myself,"hmmm...this feels really light in my hands and my abs feel really engaged here". It was different. I defintely felt stronger than usual. So I did a few warm-up sets with the intention of doing a heavier set for 5. I was only going to use 225 lbs because I hadn't benched in a while and I had been complaining about how weak and soft I was getting.

I remembered though something I had been hearing on all these YouTube videos: "you have to go to failure in order to cause an adaption to occur". And the one thing I had been religious about over the last few weeks is hitting everything until complete failure (like Doug McGuff suggests).

So I asked a dude to spot me on 225 and told him that my goal was 5 but I wanted to go to failure. I put it up and repped out until I hit 13 reps and that's when my chest gave out. Now I know that not a world record and back in college I was doing 225 for 27 reps or so, but for me, this was a huge breakthough after changing my diet so dramatically and feeling as if I was getting nowhere whatsoever.

I also weighed in at 228 lbs. today. So technically that's 7 lbs. this month. I wasn't really including those first 5 because I felt it was new weight and should come off easily, but that's not really fair to me.....so in my mind, it counts.

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    Nice!
    (stupid "security" N I C E!)

Insane Grok is offline Senior Member
    great job man, glad you are seeing some improvement! keep it up, you will keep seeing more and better things!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    That is great!! Now do yourself a favor and don't get back into thinking that more is better. You just proved to yourself that the HIT workouts are working. Stick with it. You are making progress!!!

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Very cool, glad to hear you've come through. I saw your earlier post and was wondering where it would go.
    I'm almost 1 month in, and had a similar expoerience...just that only now do I feel like everything is clicking. I mean, how can e expect instant results after decades of eating against our nature? I knew I was burning fat once the hunger sensation became a lot more subtle. Still there, just not shouting at me to eat NOW. BUT, you work out a lot more and harder than I do, so you're probably going to need more. Mark is pretty clear about what happens to your body when you get outside the range of what a fat-burner can do, so if you haven't, go back a re-read those posts. Keep it up--keep us posted...

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinman View Post
    I also weighed in at 228 lbs. today. So technically that's 7 lbs. this month. I wasn't really including those first 5 because I felt it was new weight and should come off easily, but that's not really fair to me.....so in my mind, it counts.
    Congrats, dude. You should also try to measure your body composition.

And just a quick add-on to my original post: I went up to the baseball field today to do some sprints. I had on my typical sneakers with like 3 inches of padding at the bottom. I said what the hell and kicked the suckers off and went full on barefoot. I'm not gonna lie......I felt ALIVE!!!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You'll have to let us know how your legs and feet feel tomorrow!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    Congrats, dude. You should also try to measure your body composition.
    Absolutely....I am definitely going to do that!!