Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally going primal, properly! page 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Lucky you, getting to have dairy. You might look in to kefir it is even better than yogurt. There is a lady named the kefir lady who sells the grains to make it, if you decided at some point that is something you would want to do- kefir is kind of expensive.

Ezestreets is offline Member

Cool

Hi Sarah.

Far from boring, I think your posts are fabulous and that you are an amazing young lady. I think it was Socrates that said that "the unexamined life is not worth living", or words to that effect. You are certainly self aware, and you seem to be struggling with self esteem issues. If I'm reading you right, you feel that you are under achieving and performing far below your potential. It is my experience (64 years), that most intelligent individuals fight the same demons that you are struggling with. I know that I do. I also know there are no easy answers - at least I haven't found any.

By the way, I hesitate to comment on it lest you think I am a dirty old man, but the picture you posted was "perfect". Enough said about that.

You very kindly directed some gentle comments my way in an earlier post, so I will briefly bring you up to date (and I will be brief since this is your journal)!

I saw my doctor again, and she extended my stress leave to 3 months -until June 1. The first three weeks, I spent most of my time sleeping. My main stressor (and I have several), was my job. Insurance sales. I have been with Allstate for 15 years, and I expected to work there another 6 or 7 years. But I find myself unable to handle the ever increasing performance requirements of my employer. In the last year, I got into a very nasty habit of "unwinding" with a bottle of wine after work - all of it - every day. My weight ballooned. My blood pressure got too high. My long suffering wife of 43 years had a fit. So did my doctor.

To make a long story short, I am totally off the booze. I am on a rigorous work out program (I love it when my body "hurts so good"). When I go back to work, either my employer changes their expectations of me or I will quit and do something else.
    Or retire and go visit children and grand children. Enough about me. Keep posting. Like I said earlier
    Last edited by Ezestreets; 04-06-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Sorry about that. Technology baffles me. I was trying to end my post with some words of encouragement and I pushed the wrong keys.

Like I said earlier, you are amazing. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

dan
    Last edited by Ezestreets; 04-07-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Duh-can't spell my own name

Hi Sarah

Glad you're back. You have a great attitude, and will ace the PB regime. Keep us all posted.

dan

Hi Sarah

You asked about my workout regime. I will keep it short - it is your forum after all!

M+W+F, (7-9 pm), I go to a "Biggest Loser"program at the local community center. There, they beat us up a lot, running us through a variety of laps, calisthenics, weight training (very simplified), and anything else they can think of to keep our heart rates elevated for 2 hours. Yesterday, they had us do a boxing routine, hitting our partner who was holding big pads. I find these sessions brutal, but "it hurts soooo good"

Tues-Thurs-Sat. Very brisk walk for 2 miles (about 30 minutes), then 30 minutes on the TRX. I'm puffing pretty hard by the end of the hour.

I guess I misjudged my willpower. I told you earlier that I was totally off the wine. I had a bottle yesterday afternoon. Really stupid and the anticipation far exceeded the actual event.

Enough about me! I hope you are feeling better. I've been meaning to ask - you shared the fact that you are taking physics at your university. Which branch? Quantum theory? Cosmology? I am in awe of anyone who can wrap their mind around quantum slipperiness. I read all the "non math "science books I can get - the ones intended for the dummies in the general population - like me.

Be safe. . .

Dan

Hi Sarah

Again I'll keep this post short because it is your forum, after all.

I got turned on to physics 20-30 years ago when I read the book THE DANCING WU-LI MASTERS:AN INTRODUCTION TO THE NEW PHYSICS by Gary Zukav. It is still in print. Updated. Available on Kindle. No math in it, and a wondrous read. When he described the wave/particle duality of light, I was stunned. Einstein -a genius! I wish I could turn back the clock to my high school days to really apply myself to the sciences. I see now how pure math really is. And physics - physics is an explanation of how the universe works, and math is the language that describes it. And THAT is why I envy you your youth and your studies!

On a related cosmological note, check out the Wiki entry on the ANTIKYTHERA CALCULATOR. It seems that about 2000 years ago the Greeks were able to understand and calculate the positions of the earth, moon, and planets by means of a hand made gear driven mechanical device. They found it in a ship wreck off the coast of Greece. Their knowledge pre-dated Copernicus by
    about 1700 years, and some scholars link it to Archimedes.

Fascinating stuff!

As always, a pleasure talking to you. Hope your fitness workouts continue to be "gold star"!!

Dan

P.s.

What is LHT/yoga?

Hi Sarah

Your blood pressure results sound excellent . (My only medical qualification is that I have been married for 43 years to an Emergency Nurse). So glad to read that all is relatively well with you. I enjoy your posts.

Dan

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by _sarah_ View Post
    However, my health was not at a good place AFTER the blood test. I was shaky and horrified and anxious, as well as, physically, a little faint and nauseous. That's ridiculous, I'm sure, since they surely did not take a lot of blood. But still. So, my day afterward spiralled downhill, with a cookie and chocolate bar to make myself feel better, and then a retreat back home to curl under my blankets for the rest of the afternoon (skipping the gym and yoga). Not a win for health or life.
    Hi, Sarah. The bit I quoted above caught my attention. My wife has a similar reaction to having blood drawn, even very small amounts such as for a blood test. She has tried to give blood for donation in the past and the results were terrible. She vomited, has GI distress, the works. The theory is that it's an extreme vasovagal reaction:
    Vasovagal response - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just a warning that you might not want to attempt blood donation. It is a good thing to do, but not if it's harmful to your own health.

Looking over your journal it looks like you're doing a good job of taking care of yourself. Also, is the weight assist platform on the assisted pullup machine at your gym not moveable? All the ones I have seen have a pin that you can pull to move the platform out of the way. Also, you could get a doorway pull-up bar for your apartment/dorm and either do jumping-assisted or chair-assited pullups to practice working toward an unassisted pullup. One more thing, chinups (with palms supinated) are generally easier than pullups (palms pronated). It's good to work both of course.

Keep up the good work!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sarah. - hope all is well. Your musings are missed...

Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast