Thread: Bone marrow fail page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Bone marrow fail

I tried to make bone marrow for dinner. What's the deal? Is bone marrow actually edible? I followed Mark's recipe. Bone Marrow: Delicious, Nutritious and Underappreciated | Mark's Daily Apple I used small bones that I think were beef short ribs before they were packaged as bone marrow. It looked like bone marrow would come oozing out if I cooked it, it was that rich in obvious marrow. The package even said bone marrow on it. 15 minutes at 350 degrees was barely enough time to cook the meat clinging to the outside of the bones. The marrow itself was hard as a rock. How do you really make bone marrow? I really want to try it. It sounds yummy. It just didn't work.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I tried to make bone marrow for dinner. What's the deal? Is bone marrow actually edible? I followed Mark's recipe. Bone Marrow: Delicious, Nutritious and Underappreciated | Mark's Daily Apple I used small bones that I think were beef short ribs before they were packaged as bone marrow. It looked like bone marrow would come oozing out if I cooked it, it was that rich in obvious marrow. The package even said bone marrow on it. 15 minutes at 350 degrees was barely enough time to cook the meat clinging to the outside of the bones. The marrow itself was hard as a rock. How do you really make bone marrow? I really want to try it. It sounds yummy. It just didn't work.
    I've never tried for marrow with short ribs - in fact I made beef short ribs last week and there was no marrow that I could get from the bones.

When I make marrow it is from longer bones that have been cut in to short pieces. The marrow is slightly pink and takes up a large part of the center of the bone. Once cooked it is very, very soft. Almost like a room temperature butter and it slides right out of the bone.

I think you need bigger bones.

Damn - this is my third try solving the stupid image verification!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    If they are flat like short ribs... umm... make broth?
    Proper marrow bones are round, like cross sections of leg bones, and the marrow is obvious in the center.

Like these.....
    bone-marrow.jpg

Now... look at those bones and DROOL. Sorry, but yes... they are that good.

About 15-20min @350 is correct.... you'll be able to see the marrow bubble in the center a bit.
    When I make them I lick my fingers constantly while making obscene noises... and may even lick foil I lined the pan with. I made 6 this week. While I was licking my fingers I was thinking that the fat from them is even better than dessert.

After getting the marrow out I do use the bones for stock as they generally have a bit of connective tissue on the outside too, and it gets whatever is left inside out into the broth.
    ALWAYS look for and choose bones that look as if they have a FAT plug in the middle... if it's a wider cut and grainy looking it generally is solid and almost impossible to get the good stuff out.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I will have to try again then. They were flat and looked like they were once long bones cut into small pieces. They have big bones in the freezer. I bought one once that had a big ball joint and it fell apart in the crock-pot with a big huge blob of marrow. I thought these smaller bones looked way easier to open up and eat. They're in the crock-pot now. Maybe I can get the marrow out for breakfast tomorrow.

And yeah, these captcha images are really hard. I have to refresh 4 times before I get one I can read at all.

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    The marrow in the shortribs(best braised in my opinion) is red marrow, what you're looking for is yellow marrow. Next time you're out look for round bones with yellow/pink/white centers about an inch in diameter. That's the stuff.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Buy those big ass bones next time. Roast 'em then make you broth. You will die of such joy
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

WillyGies is offline Junior Member
    They were flat and looked like they were once long bones cut into small pieces.

I put the bones in the crock pot and made broth. 24 hours later I pulled out the bone and tried the marrow again. It's softer and in some cases I can peel the bone off. In others I can eat the bone. It's kinda good. Is it weird to eat bones? I put a pile of salt on a plate and dipped each bite in it. I was a little weirded out I was eating bones so I only ate a couple. Is there something more I could do with these now edible bones?

Hardwarehank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My only concern would be over-mineralization(is that even a warranted fear?), otherwise... compost?