Page 99 of 577 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 99

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi Tomi. Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't even thought about eating junk food this whole time. I guess that means that Primal/paleo is my life now... Awesome.

Brad's been finding lots of overtime so that's going to help tremendously. He worked last Saturday for 8 hours (at time and a half, which makes for a nice hourly wage) and he'll work either 4 or 6 hours this Sunday (double time). Next week, he's working 3 12 hour days, so the check should me mighty nice. I hate putting that burden solely on him, but I can't get overtime where I'm at (salary exempt) but he can as an hourly employee. He's basically covering down on vacations to soak up the time.

\o/ <-- that's me rejoicing. Guess what I did this morning. I paid off a hospital - WITHOUT using a credit card! The other day when I was so frustrated, I paid off a hospital bill, but had to use the credit card, which was frustrating. I'd been putting the bill off and I guess I put it off for too long and the hospital got upset. I got an upsetting call, so I called the hospital b/c I knew the upsetting call was because of that bill, and paid it in full at that moment, but had to put it on the credit card, which I was really trying to avoid doing. Then I put the rest of our medical bills on payment plans. We should be out of the medical bill swamp in a couple of months, unless the overtime keeps coming in. But this morning, I was able to pay hard earned cash to pay off another hospital bill (the one from when Brady got his concussion at the race track). I jockeyed some things around and made room for the whole bill. It's so liberating to see that burden go up in smoke!!

Got my son registered for kindergarten. I have to buy this stupid $6 planner for him. Seriously? He's in kindergarten! What's he need a planner for? And a $6 one at that??? After talking to some moms, it turns out that the planner is more like a daily journal for Brady to practice writing in, for the teacher to make notes about his progress, and report if he's having behavior issues or whatever. I have to sign it nightly... oh joy... one more thing to remember to do each night. *eye roll* But, he's registered, which is kind of exciting. School starts 2 weeks from yesterday. Kind of makes me sad. But I know he'll love it.

And if we get his diet squared away and that helps with his emotional outbursts and his blatent disregard for authority, then his teacher will enjoy it too. Last year we had so many troubles with him causing disturbances in class and we thought it was just b/c he was bored, but the more I think about it and the more I learn about Paleo and how food affects our hormones and how hormones affect our minds, it's obvious to me that he's got a food sensitivity - I just have to find out what his sensitivity is so we can avoid it. I was talking to some Paleo peeps on FB last night and they said red dye #40 can cause problems as well as some preservatives, plus the obvious sugar, gluten, casein, and others I can't think of right now.

I have spoken with the fill-in director at his daycamp and asked her if she would be willing to help me by documenting when he's having his problems (like is it before lunch, after lunch, around 2, etc) so that I can pinpoint if it's a low blood sugar thing, a high blood sugar thing, a nap thing, etc.

Next week he'll go to lunch with different food items and we'll see if that makes a difference for him. I've discussed with Brady what I'm planning to do and told him that certain foods can make his body be naughty and that we want to not eat those foods so that we can be a happy, healthy, good boy. He seemed pretty receptive to the idea and agreed to be helpful with me. He did ask about pudding, specifically, so I have to find a good paleo pudding for him. In the meantime, we'll do healthy lunch meats, cheeses, finger-food fruits, and maybe juice or something for his drinks. I know that juice isn't ideal, but if I can get 100% juice instead of concentrate with garbage, it's at least a step in the right direction - and I can always cut it with water. Besides, if he's getting a healthy dose of protein and fat with his meats and cheeses, the sugar in the juice shouldn't cause a huge sugar spike. Eventually, I'd like to cut him down to drinking water with his lunch.

His breakfasts will be interesting too. He goes to breakfast with the kids at daycamp and will likely have breakfast the same way once school starts since he'll be at the before and after school program (same place and staff as the daycamp). So the question is whether or not I find a good gluten free cereal for him so he's eating cereal like his friends, or if I find a more paleo breakfast food item that doesn't require heating (no access to a microwave for students). Someone has mentioned (I think it was Candy) the paleo waffles in Eat Like a Dinosaur. I will have to look those up and see what I can do with them. I'm also thinking maybe some gluten free pancakes too, that he can dip in either straight up maple syrup or eat with cashew/almond butter on them. Look out, folks! There's a brainstorm going on over here!! lol

Anyhow, I suppose I've rambled on long enough. If you're still with me, I still need a blog title, and thanks for reading.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 08-09-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    It sounds like Brady might also be interested in Eat Like a Dinosaur, since that covers how you want him to be eating, and he was receptive in working with you on that. No ideas on the blog titles, but definitely interested in reading about your experiments!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Dynamite to Dinosaur would be a cute blog name.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post

I was talking to some Paleo peeps on FB last night and they said red dye #40 can cause problems as well as some preservatives, plus the obvious sugar, gluten, casein, and others I can't think of right now.

Anyhow, I suppose I've rambled on long enough. If you're still with me, I still need a blog title, and thanks for reading.
    Yes, exactly that!!! I think food dye and preservatives can have a huge impact on some kids' behavior. Google Feingold diet for lists of foods that contain these dyes and some alternatives that don't. It even lists name brands so you can make better choices.

Your breakfast ideas sound great. I just started making the paleo waffles from several websites and also Eat Like a Dinosaur. My 5-year-old loves them. And making paleo chicken nuggets are easier than you think. I was nervous to make them but now I make about 2 dozen every Sunday to reheat throughout the week.

Yeay for starting a blog! I'll follow you.

Toying with SAD to Happy...

Reviewing blogs today that I know are about families going Paleo and focusing on the kids' side of the story. My favorite so far is Paleo Parents. I'd already purchased their book. It stands tall on my counter next to my stove. I made the chicken nuggets out of it once, but Brady said he didn't like them. I will try them again. I'm learning that my son is not a fan of the taste of coconut, which might be why he hasn't liked a lot of the stuff I've made recently b/c I use a lot of coconut oil.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hey there, just lurking around in journals and saw your last entry.

My kids, who are not primal, but eat a lot of coconut oil unbenounced to them,
    because I get the cold pressed refined stuff. It's not refined in the way that they
    do a pile of stuff to it to make it nasty and bad for you, they do it to get rid
    of the taste of coconut.

My kids hate butter (gasp!) too, so I put the refined coconut oil on whatever it is
    I'd use butter on and not only are the none the wiser, but it gives their non-paleo
    foods more staying power cuz of the calories.

Also, about your dumb scale - mine is the same way, so you know what I do? I get on
    the darn thing with a BUNCH of heavy stuff, like, a load of laundry in the basket, or I pick
    a kid up and get on. Then I wait for it to go blank and thennnnn I get on. I get the same
    weight from then on out, even if I get on and off 5 times.

You could always have your husband get on first as well.... I'd do that, but he thinks I'm a fruitcake
    already, so I do the other trick.

Sorry about your credit card woes as well. Girrrrrl, I am so right there with you.

The house next door to us just sold and I am DYING to find out how much it sold FOR, because then
    we MIGHT be able to get an equity line on ours, and that would help pay down some of our CC's that
    ballooned up when my husband lost his job for 9mo. Ack.

Anyway! Just a random drive by from a random stranger! Keep on keepin' on!

Julie

Julie, I'll give that coconut oil a shot and see if it works for him. And I'll try that trick with the scale too.

Here is my inspiration for my challenge with Brady:

About Cole | Paleo Parents

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I wish I could get my mom on board with paleo/primal eating, and then my brother, who has Down syndrome. I know it can't "fix him", but it would help a lot with his attention issues (that come more from eating crap than anything else, I would know! I was the same way!). He lives off of rice, bread, french fries, and meat. If we got him to eat veggies and cut out the grains, he'd be golden! I just sent her a copy of Toadally Primal Smoothies, maybe she will like it for inspiration (and I suggested adding spinach to his protein shakes in the morning).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

My rant for today. I posted this on facebook. Yes, I touted the book again, but seriously, if you're new to learning about food, it's a great book to read. Yes, it pushes the whole30, and most people think the whole30 is a weight loss thing, but it's not. That's what I use it for, but that's not it's intent. It's intent is much like the GAPS diet in that it removes potentially offending food sources, eliminates their effect on your body so you can get a baseline and then reintroduce to see if those foods cause you problems... but it's also used by us weight losers to lose weight... anyhow, my rant...

A guy I work with has an 11 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. He's already resigning her to a lifetime of medications. He just told our boss that it's a series of ulcers and cysts in her large intestine and her immune system is fighting what it thinks is an infection but is actually "normal" waste products. He said, and I quote, it's treatable with the right medicat...ion and the good thing is that she won't be restricted from any activities or required to follow any restrictive diet requirements. Makes me so sad and so mad. Another situation where families are uneducated and doctors are treating symptoms, not conditions.

I get that people don't want their lives disrupted or "inconvenienced" by making radical changes to their diets, but what harm is done by giving it a try and seeing if it works? It's very possible the foods you are eating are poisoning your family and you don't know it until someone develops a chronic condition! If they have chronic illnesses, it hurts NOTHING to change up diet for a while and see what benefits/results may come.

"It Starts with Food" by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig is a GREAT place to start learning about how our "foods" are destroying our health. And I don't mean twinkies and candy bars... I mean things that we think are healthy but act as sandpaper to our gut and wreck all sorts of havoc. It's REAL people. People get sick b/c of what we EAT. It's not a luck of the draw thing... or genes gone screwy. It's hormones and immune response brought on by the processed and heavily chemical laden "foods" we eat every day that make us chronically ill. Educate yourselves, and reap the benefits!

Got my kit for the daycamp ready. I am asking them to write on a 3x5 card each day and place it in his paperwork folder so I can grab it and put it in his notebook at the end of the day. I am asking them to report to me what his behavior was like. If he was misbehaved, I am asking them to let me know when he was the MOST misbehaved. If it's right before lunch, probably caused by hunger/blood sugar crash (of course, this depends on what he has for breakfast). I am asking them to tell me what he has for breakfast and snack, as well as whether or not he's emotional that day. So, 4 points. Was he naughty? When? Did he have breakfast? What was it? Did he have snack? What was it? Was he emotional today? Easy peasy. And it should help us in determining whether or not his diet is affecting his moods.

Last night he ate a good meal. 1/2 a chicken thigh, 1/2 a baked potato and some sugar snap peas. Then two hot dogs... but I consider this a win b/c he ate the chicken, potato and peas with little protest. Of course, he did the whole "but I don't like them" crap they always try to pull, but I told him that the food on his plate is really good for him and will help him be a good boy again at school. So, he ate it b/c he wants to be a good boy. He really does, but he says it's too hard, and I believe him. I believe that the foods we were feeding him were inhibiting his impulse control, causing aggression and contributing to defiance.

I truly, 100% believe that the foods we eat affect us in so many ways more than just filling our bellies. And it does more than just fuel our muscles and make us strong... it affects our moods and impulses. I truly, 100% believe that. I've seen negative behavior in my son while eating a negative diet. If what I've read is true, then the positive diet should create positive behavior in my son. I want this so badly for him. I know he doesn't like being a trouble maker. I know he doesn't like getting scoled all the time and set in time out. I know he wants to do the right thing and behave the way we want him to. I know he does. And with consistency and determination and properly explaining it to Brady, we can achieve it by the stuff we put in him. Garbage in = garbage out, in so many different ways!

Anyhow... since the scale is refusing to budge, I took my measurements today. down a 1/2 inch in the hips and 1 1/2 inches in my belly (at the belly button). SCORE!

I can tell I'm burning fat b/c I'm still having a TON of withdrawal effects from the Lexapro. This is according to some people on a paleo message board on Facebook. They said that SSRIs are fat soluble so once they're processed by the liver, they're deposited in fat and busting up those fat cells releases those toxins back into the blood. So it sounds like this is something I'm going to be dealing with for a long time b/c all my weight came on while taking SSRIs (but not only as a result of the SSRIs), so my fat will be loaded with SSRI toxins. Swell!

Anywho... gonna do some reading. I hope everyone is having a nice Friday.