Page 96 of 593 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 96

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi ladies. Feeling MUCH better today. I broke down and allowed myself to have some strawberries last night, mixed with coconut milk "cream" - Judg's recipe. It was good b/c I love both strawberries and coconut, but it felt like something was missing. May add some pineapple to it and see if that adds to it. If not, I'll try something else.

A guy at work brought banana bread... he just sliced it open so of course the smell of bananas is filling the room. Soft breads are a decadent treat and I'm going to have trouble with it, I think. And of course, I have no almonds... oh wait! I do!! They're the ones I roasted myself at home that I didn't think turned out too well... but they're still edible.

Brad's birthday party was last night. His mom made potato salad (which COULD have been ok had it been made with paleo/primal mayo, but it was not), "broccoli cheese and rice" (promise, the only thing "good" in that is the broccoli) which is made with broccoli, cheez-wiz, and cream of mushroom soup, and yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Then his dad breaded catfish and fried it in vegetable oil... an abomination, in my mind. They held a little bit out for me and SIL, which I pan fried/seared in clarified butter, sprinkled with Chef Paul's seafood magic (thank you PrimalCajun for the suggestion. that stuff is AWESOME), then baked to doneness. There wasn't much catfish, so I also did 3 cod fillets, which turned out awful. They were tough and not very tasty. Glad it was the last 3 fillets I had. Next time I'll stick to getting fresh instead of having the frozen ones around. I should have done some shrimp too! That would have been nummers! I also took baked and quartered sweet potatoes brushed with coconut oil and sprinkled with cinnamon and a tomato and onion salad dressed with olive oil, vinegar and various spices. It was delish!!

I had a yellowfin tuna steak for the first time yesterday. I brushed it with olive oil and sprinked with pepper then seared in a hot pan til done. It was pretty tasty, but next time I'll probably use coconut oil. The pan was too hot for olive oil, I think, and the recipe I used was from "Eating for Life" which is associated with the Body for Life program, which is very CW. Anyhow, I'll be picking up some more at some point to serve to Brad. I'm sure he'll like it too. We both really like tuna (in the can, which is gross now since they put so much bleeping salt in it anymore) so I think he'd like the steaks.

Tonight we're having bacon burgers, green beans and oven fries. Brad's choice of dinner. Tomorrow, probably ribs. I'll have to dress them up tonight and get them ready b/c they require like 4 hours in the oven. Brad can put them in when he gets home and I can finish them when I get home. The recipe I found is here: Dry-Rubbed Barbecue Pork Ribs - Paleo StylePaleo Spirit And they look absolutely delicious!!

OH, and I should probably indicate that the scale was decent and said 189 again today. I got off and got back on and it dropped to 188.8. So I did it again and it went up to 189.6. I think my scales a piece! If it can't give the same weight for the same item more than once, what good is it??? Sadly, no money for a really good one, so the crappy weight watchers scale lives another day.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Glad you're feeling better! Your meals/meal planning sounds delicious. I especially like your fish ideas. I think it's really easy to overcook white/delicate fish, but the flavor ideas are great.

I'd totally take a sledgehammer to that scale.

Feeling a bit down right now. It's situational. A while back, Brad got a credit card to pay off another credit card that had astronomical interest. It had a 0% introductory period and for the life of me, I cannot figure out why we didn't strive to pay it off (or down) during that time. Anyway, it's maxed... and despite making a $250 payment on it each month, it remains maxed. I had looked into getting a loan from the credit union to pay off the credit card, which would lower our interest, lower our payments and reduce the time it would take for us to pay it off. Sadly, the credit union doesn't do personal loans in that amount, so we looked at the equity in our house. Because we have to have 10% equity in our house at all times, the credit union can only give us 90% equity, which is half of what we'd need to pay off the card. *sigh*

Our lender, who is a big follower of the Dave Ramsey methodology (we are too, but things haven't worked out in a way that we can practice his methodology precisely), actually suggested we borrow from our 401k because as she put it "desperate times call for desperate measures". I don't have a 401k b/c Dave Ramsey told me that can wait until after the debt snowball is completed to pump into our 401k, and I don't know what's in Brad's. Plus, we'd done that once before too, but not for debt payoff - we did it to buy some necessary things when we built our house (like garage doors, etc).

Anyhow, I'm a bit blue right now b/c we're not making ANY headway on this card. Literally, I'm handing them $250 a month and it's doing nothing to our balance...

If my luck with money wasn't so shitty, I'd play the numbers and hope for a jackpot... *sigh* sadly, my luck doesn't work like that. On a happier note, once the fridge is paid off (October), we can apply an additional hundred to the credit card and make some distance that way, but in the meantime it is absolutely annihilating our credit... *sigh* But, if you ask Dave Ramsey, credit doesn't matter in a debt free society... promising and uplifting.

I figured out how I'll hand the problem. Instead of waiting until October to apply extra to the credit card, I will do it this month. Hopefully that'll give us enough room that the interest won't push us over again. I'll take that $100 from the payment I was going to make on the fridge this month and apply it to the backend of the fridge bill, which will still pay it off in October, but will put me $100 behind on starting my next debt snowball, but in the end, it'll all work out. Besides, DH will have overtime on this next check from working 8 hours on Saturday, so that could help to bring us back to where we were in the debt payoff plan if we play our cards right.

Walks do a lot to help clear things up, I think. And it was a nice walk. It was nice out. Nice breeze. Low temps. Warm sun. Would have liked to experience less concrete, but what can ya do?

I thought about something this morning and I wonder how it'll work. When I was doing Body For Life, I didn't lose much weight (12 lbs) b/c it follows CW logic but with a clean spin on it (no more than 5 ingredients in processed foods, etc), but there was a fantastic workout included. Most people said they were only successful if they included additional cardio than the 20 minutes recommended by Bill Phillips.

But here's my thinking... if I'm following the PB for food and losing this much weight without exercising, what could happen if I did the Body for Life workouts? They include LHT 3x per week and doing cardio (HIIT for 20 minutes) 3x per week. The workouts are progressive pyramids, meaning the first set is 12 reps at a moderate difficulty weight, 2nd set is 10 reps at a slightly heavier weight, 3rd is 8 reps a bit heavier then 6 reps a at max weight, then 12 reps at beginning weight.

For instance, if I was doing a chest press, this is what it would look like

12 reps; 15 lb dumbbells
    10 reps; 20 lb dumbbells
    8 reps; 25 lb dumbbells
    6 reps; 30 lb dumbbells
    12 reps; 15 lb dumbells
    (separate each set with a 2 min rest)

I saw amazing changes using this for my LHT workouts, but always gave up b/c I never lost any significant weight.

HIIT looks like this

2 min warm up (level 5 perceived effort)
    1 min level 6
    1 min level 7
    1 min level 8
    1 min level 9 (6 min completed)
    1 min level 6
    1 min level 7
    1 min level 8
    1 min level 9 (10 min completed)
    1 min level 6
    1 min level 7
    1 min level 8
    1 min level 9 (14 min completed)
    1 min level 6
    1 min level 7
    1 min level 8
    1 min level 9 (19 min completed)
    1 min level 10 - all out as hard as you can go

-end workout-

I have done this running and on the stairmaster at the gym. It's a killer workout and fits the bill of HIIT that Mr. Mark puts out, right? So, I think since I always saw great results with this workout (but not with the diet) and now I'm having great results with the diet (but not getting into the workout), maybe I should combine the two ideas and see what happens...

I think I will.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Poking my head in again after a few days away. I'm sorry you had such a rough time with breaking away from sugar, Jenn. And sorry about all the negative feelings. I do think we 'medicate' ourselves with food to avoid feelings all too often. It is a big problem for me. But feelings can be scary.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    I totally understand feeling bad about money issues. My parents were bad with money and my husband and I are probably worse because we make more. I like Dave Ramsey's method too, but have only been partially successful. Good luck with your financial goals.

Exercise with primal has been an amazing combination for me. I say try it.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I just took a look at his basic "baby steps" guide. Man, that $1000 is going to take me a while since that's about what I have now...and it has to go to filling the oil tank in a couple months. I hope I can save up at least $200 before then. I really wanted to pay off my smallest loan this year! Budgeting sucks ass.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, Tash, we have no $1,000... we have no extra to put toward the $1,000 b/c we seriously live paycheck to paycheck with no wiggle room. Right now, we're trying to save for Christmas. The biggest positive with the Christmas Club fund at our credit union: it's unavailable until November, so you can't dip into it at all - unless you go to the credit union, sign a form asking for it, and pay a fee for early withdrawal. It's like a low-interest short-term CD.

I love his methods and we have paid off stuff following his guidelines, but he also requires you to sell any possessions you have that aren't required (like recreational stuff - so he'd require us to sell our boat - which is paid off) and anything you owe money on (so he'd require us to sell Brad's truck and find something we can pay cash for... except, we have no cash, so how can we sell the truck and pay cash for a vehicle???). We have sold things like Brad's welder and his air compressor, which got us out of a bind once, but now we're outta stuff to sell. Had a garage sale once and only made $100. It's definitely not as easy as he makes it out to be on his program and in his book. It takes a LONG time, but supposedly, if we follow all the rules, we can have the $1,000 in a matter of weeks rather than months. Didn't happen for us...

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Man, even if I bought ABSOLUTELY NOTHING extra for the month, when groceries are being split, I only have about $200 to spare. That's not including therapy copays, or supplements, so basically, I save nothing. It's tough. When/if Boyfriend or I get better paying jobs as the years go on (because I think it's unlikely at our age), I'm sure it'll get a little easier. We're pretty close to paying off his car, which will free up some money too. Neither of us have credit cards though.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).