Page 84 of 553 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 84

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    So sorry about your sinus infection, but that weight loss is absolutely incredible! Many many kudos! Have you ever tried a cup of coffee with a bit of whole fat cream when you have a sinus? I've found it to work well. Nice thing about a sinus -- well, maybe that's just my sinus problems -- is that when they're over, they're over. Migraines just leave me feeling exhausted. As soon as a sinus is over, I'm raring to go. But maybe that's not everyone.

Hope your's just disappears sooner than immediately so you can have a super day reading and enjoying things.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Thank you for the kind wishes, Pam, but I don't think it's going to just go away on it's own. I've been fighting this infection since Mother's Day. I've had 3 different antibiotics - one being strong enough that the doc told me "if this doesn't work, you'll have to see an ENT" which is exactly what I'm doing tomorrow. They'll scope my sinuses to see if they can see anything that might be causing a problem and possibly do a CT scan to see what the shape of my sinuses are. I am fully expecting them to find polyps or scar tissue and tell me I need surgery... plan for the worst and hope for the best, right?

Guess what! Brad, my ever-resistant-to-change husband, has said he's working on becoming more Primal and wants to eventually do a whole30. I am shocked. Floored. Astounded. Amazed. Flabbergasted! I think he's finally been convinced by my progress. A loss of 30 lbs is nothing to scoff at, but even more important is (to him) the fact that I was able to eliminate my depression and anxiety. But, he is also extremely overweight and knows we're all worried about his health. I don't say much b/c I don't want to offend, so it's very enlightening to me that he's interested in giving this a real effort. I *heart* my hubby!

Anyhow... right now I'm trying to find a personalizable gift for our Commander's husband. She's leaving to take a promotion and my boss wants to buy her husband a gift. He's looking for golf balls with our brigade's logo on them, but I'm having a tough time finding them without having to buy 12 dozen balls! lol I hate looking for gifts for people I literally have never met... *sigh* Such is the life of an "office manager". lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Jenn!!!! Congrats on the 30 pounds! YOU GO, GIRL!!!! Obviously the whole30 is working great for you! So, are you counting calories, watching portions? Doc says I need to stay close to 1500 cal. so it will be something that is sustainable LONG term -- but I know my own body - I need to be closer to 1200 to see any reasonable loss. Whats your strategy?

I SOO hope seeing the ENT tomorrow will get you some answers and some relief - this is rediculous! No one should have to suffer for this long and not know what is causing it!

Is the race car still parked or did DH find a way to make the repairs? You haven't mentioned going to any races lately. Is this what he does for a living or is he otherwise gainfully employeed?

On the kiddo's in bed with you........ you have to be a bit more aggressive with helping them learn that even if they wake up they don't need to get out of bed and come to your room. It will take some work on your part - but for own rest and for their independence you need to help them break the habit of coming to your room for comfort. Don't mean to push........ just thought I'd add some encouragement. Once they learn that they can go back to sleep in their own bed it will break this habit.

How's DH on the idea of joining you on eating primal? Sounds like he really needs to get healthy!!! My son has taken off 120 pounds over the past 2 years by cutting calories (I think too drastically) and not eating any junk food or snacks between meals. Lately he has discovered his acne has been caused by grains and bread so has cut that out - and his allergies are a direct result of dairy so has cut that out as well. He's trying to eat more fruit and veggies, but has always been a meat and grains guy. Pasta or rice was his staple. He eats mostly chicken and ground beef. He is finally realizing that primal is the way he needs to be eating. Watching what is has done for me, and working with a guy who is also eating primal has made a convert out of him. Make this mom happy! Does your DH have any issues that you could attribute to his eating that would help him make the switch?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Jenn!!!! Congrats on the 30 pounds! YOU GO, GIRL!!!! Obviously the whole30 is working great for you! So, are you counting calories, watching portions? Doc says I need to stay close to 1500 cal. so it will be something that is sustainable LONG term -- but I know my own body - I need to be closer to 1200 to see any reasonable loss. Whats your strategy?
    I do not count or measure anything. I just eat Paleo approved foods. I eat as much as I feel is necessary - usually til I lose interest (which according to ISWF means I've reached the point of satiation) or physically feel full.

Is the race car still parked or did DH find a way to make the repairs? You haven't mentioned going to any races lately. Is this what he does for a living or is he otherwise gainfully employeed?
    I guess most of what was wrong with it FIL could fix without buying new stuff. Car has been fixed and is running again. They're doing some upgrades on it right now (changed the cam in the motor this week) so apparently, FIL pried the credit card out of MIL's hands. lol He is gainfully employed making Zest and Old Spice body washes (well, he does until the machine breaks down... his primary job is to fix the machines to keep the line running... when the lines are running, he operates the machines).

On the kiddo's in bed with you........ you have to be a bit more aggressive with helping them learn that even if they wake up they don't need to get out of bed and come to your room. It will take some work on your part - but for own rest and for their independence you need to help them break the habit of coming to your room for comfort. Don't mean to push........ just thought I'd add some encouragement. Once they learn that they can go back to sleep in their own bed it will break this habit.
    I would gladly take him back to his room, but he's gotten so good at climbing into bed with us that neither of us even wake up when he does it anymore. I wake up at 5:30 when the alarm goes off and there he is...

How's DH on the idea of joining you on eating primal? Sounds like he really needs to get healthy!!! My son has taken off 120 pounds over the past 2 years by cutting calories (I think too drastically) and not eating any junk food or snacks between meals. Lately he has discovered his acne has been caused by grains and bread so has cut that out - and his allergies are a direct result of dairy so has cut that out as well. He's trying to eat more fruit and veggies, but has always been a meat and grains guy. Pasta or rice was his staple. He eats mostly chicken and ground beef. He is finally realizing that primal is the way he needs to be eating. Watching what is has done for me, and working with a guy who is also eating primal has made a convert out of him. Make this mom happy! Does your DH have any issues that you could attribute to his eating that would help him make the switch?
    He is transitioning. He will pretty much be 80/20 more than 100% from the sounds of his emails, but I'll take that over nothing at all. He's got depression and my awesome depression results are triggering his desire to change. He's also got sleep apnea, and I suspect a thyroid condition. He's having his free T3 and T4 tested on Monday. His biggest desire is to lose weight and get our kids on board.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 07-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Sounds like great progress for DH to start getting healthy - mentally and physically! How encouraging for you! Yeah! And MIL is doing some investigating as well --- sounds like good changes happening in your family!

I see Zest and Old Spice body wash at the store all the time! Now I will haven't an idea of who is making the stuff! how fun!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

As per Marcadav:
    Do 30-60 days clean primal.
    No grains, sugar, alcohol.
    Eat 3 meals and primal snacks.
    Don't track food.
    Don't tweak.
    Don't expect issues to go away quickly. Instead, just follow the plan and see how things play out.
    Decide on an exercise plan you can/will do consistently during the 30-60 days and then do it.

I remembered this morning while I was showering that his company sold Zest, so I think the only thing his line bottles now is two frangrances of Old Spice. Doesn't really matter though... just thought of it and for accuracy's sake, I thought I'd mention it.

190 this morning. I am so close to my first goal I can actually SEE it! There was a time when I'd look at 183 and think "Man, that's so far away! I'll never make it!" and here I am, almost there 4 months later. The significance of 183? I don't know. Beats the hell out of me. It's just a number I've been fixated on for a while.

Talked to SIL last night. She's lost 21.5 lbs and says she can't believe how much energy she has. I love it that she's having such success!

I got into a bit of a discussion with a friend on facebook about shakeology. I'm not a fan and while I don't come right out and speak poorly against shakeology (or beach body for that matter) on the public part of Facebook (only within the Paleo groups I belong to), I do mention probably 2x per week that it is possible to lose weight without buying anything more than groceries - no shakes, no bars, no coaching fees, none of that - just the right groceries. So then last night I posted the blog by Mark with the guest blogger who found and presented scientific evidence that Paleo/Primal are more effective than conventional weight loss approaches and she commented on my link. She starts out by saying "I respect your opinion and applaud your success, but..." and went into a spleal about how she wishes I would not speak badly about her shakes b/c they've helped her daughter's ADHD tremendously and have helped her stop taking medications. However, I didn't mention shakes at all when I posted that link, just stated that there was now scientific evidence for those who were still skeptical of the Primal/Paleo way of life. It boiled down to us agreeing to disagree, and then her asking me questions about certain foods on another post about Paleo. The comments on my link posting were removed (she gave me permission because she thought she was commenting on the link I posted within a group we both belong to - nope, sweetie, they were on my wall), and the conversation got taken to the chat feature. Eventually it was almost like she realized I was right b/c she really started to back off. Especially after I told her I wasn't bashing her shakes, just saying that it *IS* possible to lose a considerable amount of weight without buying into any special programs. It was interesting, to me anyway. lol And I had to be careful not to get defensive and aggressive with my approach b/c sometimes when I feel really strongly about something, I get a bit aggressive. But what I hope happened is that she realizes that I have also stopped taking medications without buying any special shakes and she'll see her shakes as unnecessary in the future b/c they ARE expensive! I looked into them before I found Primal and the cost alone turned me off.

Anyhow *smh* that's what happened last night.

Today, I'm donating blood - very primal - and then seeing the nose doc. I'm hopeful that he'll find whatever is causing me issues so we can get it cleared up. I'm bored with these headaches and stuffy nose issues. I'm ready to find something else to complain about.

I hope everyone's having a nice Friday!

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Great journal! You've made amazing progress.

I'm hoping that my new adventures in Paleo/Primal will eventually inspire my DH, and perhaps my kids. But like you, slow and steady and being a good example is key. My older boy is not keen in meat either (he's 5 1/2), but the baby (13 mos) will literally eat anything. I think getting out of the bread/crackers habit will be hardest for them. They eat veggies and fruit, but it's always a grain-based breakfast for them. We will get there!

By the way, unless you are really bothered by it, I don't think letting kids sleep with you is a big deal. They all eventually grow out of it. My 5-year-old can get himself back to sleep, no problem but he admits that he is lonely sometimes, and why do we get to sleep together but he has to be all alone? I thought it was good logic. My mom even admits she feels bad for being so aggressive about getting me to sleep by myself because I grew out of it, they all do. There are no teenagers walking around with pacis or bottles or sleeping with their parents. I keep that in mind whenever someone comes down hard on me about my parenting. just yesterday, someone told me I was going to spoil my 13 month old because I had him in a carrier I was wearing instead of in the shopping cart. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it was easier for me. Lol!

Hope you feel better soon! Persistent sinus infections are sooo awful. Are you taking a good probiotic to counter all the antibiotics you've been on? I hope you get answers and relief!

Sabine is online now Senior Member
    My mother told me I should stop holding my baby so much or he would just get used to it...when he was TWO DAYS OLD! All I can say is, now that he's 19 and 51 weeks, I'm glad he is comfortable with giving and receiving affection from his parents. There's nothing like a hug from your Big Boy, to make you glad you put the time in when they were younger.

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    My mother told me I should stop holding my baby so much or he would just get used to it...when he was TWO DAYS OLD! All I can say is, now that he's 19 and 51 weeks, I'm glad he is comfortable with giving and receiving affection from his parents. There's nothing like a hug from your Big Boy, to make you glad you put the time in when they were younger.
    Exactly! Lovely comment!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    PrimalCon New York
    Nice work with the shakeology-rep. I have a hard time keeping cool when people attack my way of life because they are uncertain about their own. Funny how that works. Good lock at the doc!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).