Page 83 of 584 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133183583 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 83

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by June68 View Post
    well at least it's a start with MIL.

on the beef thing; shop several farms before buying bulk. That's what we're doing because the flavor profile changes from pasture to pasture and thus cow to cow. Also cuts are important and how much fat the butcher/slaughterhouse leaves on. Maybe hit different farmers' markets to find a variety and there will be one that suits your palate more. : )
    June, that sounds like a great idea, however there's literally ONE farmer's market around here that offers meat. The rest only do veggies. I have two farmers to choose from. I got a sirloin b/c that's all they had available. I'm hoping ribeyes will be better. I've been trying to convince DH that ribeyes are a better cut of meat anyway by showing him the difference in price, but he's convinced sirloin is the premium cut... *smh* he obviously didn't grow up on a farm! lol Sadly, I grew up on a CAFO farm, but I at least know which is the best cut of meat!

I looked up burger recipes and found one that includes chopped bacon. That sounds so supremely awesome that I'm gonna have to do it. I'll start cooking some bacon (keeping it undercooked a bit since the grill will continue cooking it) and will mix it in with my burgers. I was thinking about Worschestershire sauce as an additive, but ours has sugar and soy in it... I just don't want my burgers being dry. I'm already gonna have to eat them cheese free, so I would appreciate it being juicy.

Pam, I think organic corn is sort of an oxymoron anymore. Can you even be sure the corn is organic? I'm sure somewhere in it's DNA there's a GMO chromosome! Someone put that bug in my head once saying that it's hard to even do organic at home because you don't know the ancestry of the seeds you buy. Good point. I will admit that grain-fed is tastier... what if it's grain-fed and pastured???
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I like that. Grain fed AND pastured. My goats were all pastured and then got oats and carrots and apples every morning to top off what might not be in the grass. Yes, I can deal with that:-) Thanks!

June68 is offline Senior Member
    only one FM? that stinks. I have probably 1/2 dozen in the towns nearby and more if I wanted to drive far. There's one today and one tomorrow, but it might be too hot to hit. Plenty on the weekends though. I feel so spoiled. Have you looked at the eatwild.com site to try to find alternatives if you don't like what you have? I found it helpful, but not totally inclusive.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Jenn - I second the idea that the meat will vary farm to farm and cow to cow. We've been buying grass fed beef for about 8 years now - and each year the meat is a bit different. The same farmer grows the cows, but one year will be tender and juicy and we can't get enough - the next year we will be disappointed and wanting to grind it all up into hamburger. The taste is definitely different than grain fed - I think its a richer flavor. We've run out of grass fed ground beef and bought a big costco pack --- YUCK! Its not nearly as good. August can't come soon enough for us - thats when he butchers his cows and we will get another freezer full! We're hoping this will be a good one! We buy 1/2 beef every year and it lasts pretty much all year. This year we've been eating much more meat so we ran out - well almost, we still have some steaks, but I'm not a big steak lover. Ground or roast is the way I like to eat beef.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

We are considering buying into a cow that our chiropractor raises and will butcher. He's an organic farmer on the side and offered to let us buy into some cattle come this fall - probably November time frame. I hope his beef is good. I've seen his cattle. They look happy! I also intend to ask him about vegetables and such, but I haven't been in to get my back adjusted lately, so no opportunity to ask and I'm sure the clinic would disapprove of me calling him during business hours to ask those questions! lol

There are grass-fed farms that sell in our local area outside of the farmer's market, but I haven't ordered from them as money has been tight. The one delivers to the town DH works in and the other delivers nearby where I work (which would be more convenient), but they only deliver once per month, so I'd have to buy more than what I would need to buy weekly at the market. Since DH tried it last night (it was our first GF steak) and seemed ok with it (he likened it to eating deer), so maybe he'll be ok with me ordering from the farm near my office.

I'll look into that website you mentioned for farmer's markets. I know there's one in the town that DH works in, but I've never been to it, so I don't know what's there.

I'm excited! I remembered a link that Cupcake left for me on my sparkpeople blog so I went back and found it and went to their site. They have a delivery point just a few blocks from the Island (yes, I work on an island that we call The Island). I should be able to go there relatively easily on the 2nd when they're in the area - again, only a once a month delivery thing. Their prices are nice compared to the one farm I have been buying from recently. $4 and change for a lb of burger as opposed to $7 a lb... I wonder if I need to call first and place an order or if they just bring meat with them b/c they have a CSA price and a "Farmer's Market" price. Of course, the CSA price is better, but we can't do CSA yet. Maybe once that daggum fridge is paid off... lol

We have a local farmer who is friends with FIL who offered to sell us a pig. He doesn't have a confinement so his pigs are 'fresh air pigs' but I don't think their diet is exclusively a forager's diet. I'm pretty sure he feeds them grains as well. What's important here? Is grain fed really that bad if the animal is allowed to wander around and root for stuff if he can find it? Is it more important that he's not walking around in his own feces or does it have to be 100% foraged diet? They say they're a sustainable farm, whatever that means. lol Evidently, I need to do more research on the whole pork thing.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    sweet on the beef find. We'll probably get a mess of it ourselves later this year and we're looking into 1/2 a pig as well. The pigs, I've met. They are pasture/forest rotated and organic grain supplemented. Nice pigs. But I'm not sure about your guy's circumstances. Probably better than CAFO though. No hormones or weird chemicals or antibiotics.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

I'm iffy about buying the pick from our friend b/c it's not 'ideal', but it sure beats the hell out of anything you can get at a grocery store. The grains they are fed are local (if that makes any difference at all, probably not), and they're not crammed into crates... how much foraging they can do, though, is questionable. I'd like to go out to the farm before I buy from him, though. And... as Melissa and Dallas say in ISWF, I can cut the fat off and be fine since the toxins are stored in the fat... may go that route if neceesary.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Good researching, girl!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Another day, another headache... and stuffy, itchy, burning nose. SOOOO ready for this to end.

Today marks the day that I hit a 30 lbs loss. I have never ever ever EVER lost 30 lbs. Ever. (Unless you could dropping from highest pregnancy weight to post-pregnancy weight).

I told Brad (my DH) the other day that when I lose 9 more pounds, I will have offically lost ALL of my pregnancy weight (sure, Brady is 5years old now, but I still count it as pregnancy weight! lol). Then, 7 lbs after that, I'll be back to my wedding day weight. Exciting!

Grass-fed burgers mixed with bacon and bacon grease, and then cooking in a skillet in bacon grease on medium-low are FANTASTIC! Sadly, I was generous and gave Brad the leftovers for his lunch today. I could really go for another one of those burgers. I have the remaining bacon for breakfast though, and leftover chicken parmesan (sans parmesan and breading) for lunch today. And some grapes and 3 HBE.

I ran out of CLO capsules, so today I'm resorting to fish oil. Took my tart cherry last night, but woke up with a stiff left foot. Ankle and arch were both tight and uncooperative. That's kind of bothersome. I wish it would stop doing that. Kenna decided she didn't want to sleep last night, so 45 minutes after I fell asleep, I had to tend to her. Finally gave up and brought her to bed with me. About 1, I took her back to her bed where she stayed until 5:30 or so. Brady joined us about midnight. Had Brad take him back to his bed after I took Kenna back. I wish that we could sleep without kids regularly...

I'm feeling unenthusiastic again today. I really think this sinus thing is starting to have an effect on my mood. I'm so fed up with it!

Rachel (Work Friend) isn't here today. Something about she got bit by a bug and thinks it's infected or something?? So, I'll skip my walk today b/c it's supposed to get up to 98 and right now the humidity is at 85% which means another scorcher. I'll stay inside and read ISWF instead. I like that book. I feel like they're actually talking to me, instead of just writing. It's like reading a transcript of a lecture. I like it.

I hope everyone's having a good day. Happy Thursday.