Page 82 of 584 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492132182582 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 82

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I'd call the place I'm donating blood to and ask about the infection thing. But I don't think its a problem. As long as your aren't anemic or dehydrated. DON'T donate blood in a dehydrated state. You'll have a long recovery period! Make sure before you go in that you drink a lot of water.

I think its a good sign that the pressure is lessening - and the itches could be a sign of drainage and healing as well.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    haha I'm a 2 gallon donor! I know all about being hydrated. I once donated after running a 5k! They were concerned about me and I assured them that I was perfectly capable of donating after b/c I was a seasoned runner. They were worried about how red my face was but my face turns tomato red every time I run - no matter what the distance or the difficulty.

Being dehydrated makes the blood flow more slowly too...

Tomi, you should go through my Social pics on Facebook and check out the Blood Draw Gone Bad! She perforated my vein. When she pulled the needle out, there was so much pressure under the skin from the pooling blood that I started squirting. She was panicked but I was laughing. They don't draw from my left arm anymore. lol It took something like 14 days for the bruise to go away.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Candy in Wonderland is offline Senior Member
    It took me half a day to catch up with your journal Jenn, but I made it! That'll teach me to take 2 weeks off MDA .
    How are your kids now, is the hand, foot and mouth disease better/gone?
    I'm reading It Starts With Food too; just finished The Paleo Solution (by Robb Wolfe) which is very good and clear too! I want to pass it on to my MIL, who's struggling for years with high cholesterol and frustrated about not loosing weight (she's not that much overweight though, she's doing a great job keeping her weight considering her very CW diet!). DH says he wants to talk to his mom with me, he's knows how this way of eating/living healed me so he hopes it might help his mom too! She's open minded, but I know it'll be a little hard to convince her that throwing out "heart-healthy margarines" and vegetable oils and use real butter is not going to skyrocket her cholesterol (huge health problem for her!) and kill her!
    You're doing so great on the Whole30, you're a real inspiration! I'm going to start a Whole30 in September together with DH (& hopefully DS1). Or maybe I should just start....NOW . I'll be going on a weekend with DH in 3 weeks though, and after that we're planning a BBQ for his and my family and friends, so I think I'll just wait till after that .

If you need some more help convincing your MIL I could send you a mail too! I had fibro and was taking serious meds and I'm now totally pain-free (and med-free), I can really say this WOL has healed me! I used to be on illness leave at least once a month, but haven't been ill once since going paleo/primal!!! Can't even remember the last time I had a headache. I used to cringe every time DH hugged me, because it just hurt; but now he can hug me as hard as he wants .

About the Fish oil: you can take up to 3g/day. At least you should make sure your o3 - o6 ratio is 1:2 max (so eat lots of fish if you don't want to take more supplements and don't eat too much nuts as they're high in omega 6).

I hope your sinuses clear soon!
    My Journal: Candy in Primal Wonderland
    My Blog: Candy in Wonderland
    Goal for 2012: keep weight steady (+/- 74 kg): check
    Goal for 2013: lose 10 kg and keep new weight (+/- 65 kg)

Hi Candy! My kids' hand, foot and mouth disease has gone away.

Oh Oh Oh!! Dh came home last night after being at his mom's working on the car. He said FIL commented that he can really tell I've lost a lot of weight. I guess he got on DH about his weight, which DH says he's never done before. He also said that MIL got a primal book and claims she's already doing a lot of the stuff prescribed in the book. I call bullshit on that one b/c she eats bread, muffins, cakes, cookies and all that other garbage on a regular basis. I don't consider getting a burger and fries from the American Grille to be very primal. Anyhow, this is HUGE. She's been so stubborn and uninterested for so long. I just hope she doesn't half ass it and then say it didn't work.

Sinuses are being bastards again today... Friday can't get here soon enough!!

I have finished 15 days of my whole30 cheat free. I have not slipped up one time. And so far, I've lost 7 lbs on it. I wonder what the rest of the month will bring.

Candy, I'll be watching to see how your whole30 goes with the family. What a great thing to do with your hubby and son. I think you'll all be amazed by the changes you experience. And maybe it'll work as a bonding agent too! Like something special the 3 of you are doing together - like refurbishing a car, only refurbishing your bodies instead. And I can't tell you how glad I am that your fibro symptoms are gone. I see what it does to my MIL and wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm glad you're feeling so much better. If she doesn't follow through with what she's reading, I'll probably ask for an email from you as well. Right now, since the bug is very obviously in her ear, I will give her a change to implement before I bother her about it again.

I was hoping my 30 lbs mark would hit today, but it didn't. Tomorrow works well for me too. lol I can't wait to post on Facebook that I've lost 30 lbs eating BACON while all my friends suffer through those yucky ingredient soy-based protein shakes. Blech! Bacon is WAY more appealing!

About the omega 3's... this week we are eating grass fed or pastured for the rest of the week. we've got some grass fed beef (ground and sirloins) and some pastured bison. Shoot! I meant to get something out of the freezer last night and I forgot... *sigh* I'm thinking we'll probably do the sirloins tonight. I'm rather tired today b/c the kids kept me up most the night and don't think I have the patience or the attention span to properly prepare the bison without drying it out. Steaks are easier and I love me some beef! Come to think of it, I can't wait! I might nuke a sweet potato too... never had a baked sweet potato. I've always cut them up and pan fried them in coconut oil or made french fries out of them. Time to put my big girl panties on and try it baked. In the meantime, I'm taking 3 Cod Liver Oil capsules and two 1000 mg Tart Cherry capsules. There was no recommended daily amount on the bottle and figured that taking two would simply be like eating double the cherries. lol No adverse effects yet, so I'll probably keep it up. It seems to be working. I can walk limp free in the morning.

Speaking of food... I's hungry so I'm gonna go nuke my bacon now.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    OH Jenn! that makes me cringe! I had a similar experience while taking a phlebotomy class! We had to practice on each other and the girl that decided to be brave enough to tackle my very small and deep veins did about the same thing to me! She perforated a surface vein and then kept digging until she could get some blood in the tube! I was a bruise from my wrist to my arm pit for 3 weeks! But --- ouch, no squirting!!

I'm glad to hear you are seasoned at the whole blood draw thing. I don't give because I've had too many bad experiences. Its hard enough to just go in for a routine blood draw.......... they all look at my arms and start to sweat! I have to tell them right where to go and how deep.......... if they are good they will get it on the first shot. But I know if they don't get it on the first poke I'm looking at a nice bruise!

Keep us posted on MIL!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

I'm doing this because I'm worth it - because I'm worthy - because I love myself.

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I've only donated once (and now have to wait a year because of my tattoo) and nearly fainted after. I thought I'd hydrated well enough the day before and morning of, but I guess not!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

My husband faints too. I think it's anxiety rather than dehyration. I just tell him he's a puss. lol

So, I talked with MIL last night. The book she got was the Primal Blueprint and she's completed it already (with the exception of the fitness chapter as she's not interested in fitness right now. Her motive is to eliminate fibro pain. I asked her if she was going to give it a serious effort and she seemed to believe so, but said that of course, she's never going to NOT eat wheat again, etc, etc, etc. Of course that might change after her gut starts to heal itself after she eliminates it and she reintroduces it. It's hard telling if she'll have a reaction or not, but from what some of the fibro suffers here have stated, eating sugar and wheat brings them fibro pain. We will see, I suppose.

My head hurts today. These damn sinuses are really starting to irritate. I just keep telling myself that Friday is coming. Friday we should get some answers.

Brad and I had some grass fed steak last night. Eh... not sure what I think. It was drier than grain-fed, that's for sure. It was a lot like eating deer. Very little fat, so the meat was a bit tougher and less juicy, and the flavor was a bit more like deer too. Keep in mind, the only way our family ate deer steaks was under a pool of cream of mushroom soup. Rarely would I ever desecrate the sanctity of a delicious steak with A1 or the like, but last night I had to have A1 just to get it down. It was just drier than I'm used to - and that is at medium doneness! Please tell me I did something wrong so I can do it right next time. We grilled it.

Tonight is grass fed burgers. I'll probably mix the meat half and half with pork to keep it juicier. We like our burgers made with a mixture of deer and pork, so beef and pork should be good too. The pork is grain fed though. If anyone has any recipes for making juicy burgers out of grass fed beef, please share. I'm gun shy after last night's steak.

I hope everyone's having a nice day. I'm tired today... *yawn*

June68 is offline Senior Member
    well at least it's a start with MIL.

on the beef thing; shop several farms before buying bulk. That's what we're doing because the flavor profile changes from pasture to pasture and thus cow to cow. Also cuts are important and how much fat the butcher/slaughterhouse leaves on. Maybe hit different farmers' markets to find a variety and there will be one that suits your palate more. : )
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    So that's why I don't like beef the last seven months. I've been trying to eat grassfed, and it's been dry and tasteless. Hmm! Nothing is easy, is it? :-):-):-)

I suppose organically grain fed beef just wouldn't be okay!!!