Page 81 of 580 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 81

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am VERY pleased to hear you are seeing an ENT. Sinus infections can be dangerous if left to go on for too long. And if you do have polyps you need to them removed before you will see an improvement in the infection.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    So I'm at a loss as to what to discuss today b/c I feel really icky. My sinuses are really dragging me down. Right now I'm doped up on a cocktail of Bendryl, Sudafed and Tylenol. Not much relief to be had, either.

I've started taking a tart cherry supplement for inflammation. Each morning I was waking up with stiff ankles and I'd literally shuffle to my daughter's room when she'd call. I spoke with someone about this (a Paleo life coach) and she suggested I take tart cherry instead of more Fish Oil (that was my question - can I take more fish oil). I started taking it last week. But I still had stiffness in my AM. then it dawned on me... Geesh, dummy! Take the cherry at night so it is able to reduce inflammation while sleeping, and use the Fish Oil for during the day inflammation. Geesh... lol So, I took it last night. Today, no shuffling to my baby's crib. Nice!

I wanna brag about this a bit... I got an A in both of my classes this term. So far, since starting my graduate program, my lowest grade was an A-... All of my classes have been graded on papers we've written, so apparently I'm a pretty good writer...

Now I just have to figure out what I want to do my Work Action Plan on (have to find a project to tackle at work that I can write about) and my thesis... the thesis has me worried. I have one semester left to figure it out. Then I have to start writing. I would like to do something about the paleo lifestyle, but it has to tie into leadership somehow and I'm just not sure how to connect them.

I have an appointment with the psychiatrist today at 1230 CDT. I wonder how that's going to go... I'll inform her that I've stopped my meds, and she'll see that I've lost 29 lbs (it'll probably look like 20 lbs to her since I've eaten and lost some weight before the last appointment). I'm sure she'll be interested and intrigued by my progress. I look forward to shocking her with it.

And right now, I am so frustrated with Microsoft Outlook. It is so incredibly slow today! Freezing up constantly! I'm trying to clean up the calendars and it keeps giving me the spinning circle of death. I hate Outlook.

Other than that, I'm doing well. Day 15 of the Whole30. No binges or cheats so far. Doing great. Total loss is 7 lbs to date. Yippee!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Are you still trying the neti pot or waiting till you see the ENT for more info?

Congrats on your awesome grades!

Could you tie paleo in to leadership via being a paleo guru? And by that I mean, people like Mark Sisson. He's a leader, and he's part of the "paleo movement". Not really knowing what your assignment is, sorry for vagueness.

Let me know how the psych apponitment goes! Fingers crossed for ya

I hate Outlook too and I'm generally a Microsoft/Windows fan (it's easier for me than Mac environments, usually the opposite for average users, so I guess I'm not an average user). If you want to sound techy, you can complain about the slow email servers instead of the program itself. Our servers are outrageously slow, which is the #1 reason why people have email issues in my office, NOT because Outlook itself sucks.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

You're probably right, Tasha, about the servers being slow. It's just frustrating to me that it literally takes minutes to open a new email message instead of the split seconds it should take. I'm not patient enough for outlook anymore. lol

Okie... psych appointment. I got there early like I always try to do b/c I like to read in the waiting room. But today, my gut had different plans. Not sure what the hell happened, but I had horrible abdominal pain, I was burning up and sweating profusely JUST from the cramps. I went to the bathroom and things got better. I felt like I could puke and shit myself all at once. The cramps felt horrible! Like contraction cramps, that's how strong they were (however, after having 2 kids, I know the difference). So, that took up my extra time... lol

Because I overpaid or something, I am to be expecting a $39 refund from Trinity (the hospital where my psych is located), so that was a plus.

The doctor came and got me and we went to her office/room. She weighed me. 192. Last time I saw her (March 12 or so) I was at 215. 23 lbs lost. She was amazed. She called it "pretty significant weight loss" and mentioned that she can really see it in my face and asked if anyone else who hadn't seen me for a while had noticed. I told her she's the only person I hadn't seen in a while.

Anyhow, we talked for a bit about this and that, and then she went through my medication list. She mentioned that I'm taking Lexapro and I said "No. Not anymore". She looked at me and I replied that I haven't taken the lexapro for over 3 weeks. She asked me to explain the scenario, so I told her about dropping to a half dose, and then skipping a day for a while, then skipping 2 days, then getting up to 4 days and finally not taking it anymore. I told her the zaps just stopped yesterday (as I haven't had one yet today - I'm uber excited about that, by the way!!). She asked about the deplin and I told her my bottle ran out so I decided not to refill it (even though it's a medical supplement of folic acid and not a "medicine" like we're used to). At first, she seemed rather upset that I stopped taking it, but she seemed to open up to it a bit more when I answered her question about how I feel now compared to when I was taking it. I told her I feel exactly the same as I did before. I don't feel sad, I don't feel anxious... I feel level.

She agreed to discharge me as long as I agreed to see a doctor if I notice any symptoms coming back and asked me if I would feel comfortable calling her office if things started up again. I told her I'd probably call my primary doctor since she's the one who was covering my medication needs until I started taking ADD meds (she wouldn't play with ADD meds). See, I've been experimenting with medications since 2003. I'd try one, move to another, move to yet another and try that one over there and on and on it went until I thought maybe we should try a different diagnosis. ADD (or bipolar disorder, psychologist wasn't sure because they both present about the same in adults) was the diagnosis and Adderall was the med. That was short lived (about a year) because I wasn't comfortable taking it anymore, can't remember why now.

Anyhow... she made me promise, and I promised, that if any symptoms came back or were bothersome, I'd see my doctor. She said she's mostly concerned about Seasonal Affective Disorder this winter. We'll see. She thinks that maybe the new diet I'm living is producing the necessary serotonin to stabilize my moods. She looked through my It Starts with Food book, and said that because she's a vegetarian, she would have a hard time implementing any of the Whole30 rules, but that's neither here nor there. Everyone says they can't handle the rules until they muscle up and try them.

I don't know if she was confident that I am ok and making the right decision or not, but she knows what I want and made it a point to give it to me. And honestly, if I'm not coming to her for medications, there's really no reason to keep going back. I didn't tell her about the supplements I'm taking or anything that I think are helping out significantly b/c well, it just didn't get brought up. Either way, I'm closing that chapter of my life. No my Psychiatry!! That's almost exciting enough to put on Facebook!! lol

***EDIT*** I remember now why I stopped taking the adderall... it made me really depressed - like so depressed I fantasized about suicide. It took me into a deep dark hole so I stopped taking it. Cold turkey. It scared me too much.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 07-16-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Hope the appt with the psych went well........ and great job on the whole30!

I'm going to try to find some of that tart cherry stuff too! Couldn't hurt!

ENT this week right?

All A's!!! Can you hear me cheering from Oregon? Good going, girl!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Tomi, I found it in the "natural foods" store we have around here. But I bet you could find it at a GNC or something. I was told to try the juice, but someone else told me it was available in capsule, so that's what I sought out.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    That sounds like a really productive visit. I've definitely had that "What are you doing..." look from doctors before when I tell them I went off my meds. I understand their fears and it's always a strange feeling to explain yourself. "Look, I really DO feel better/the same." I think I read something saying that It Starts With Food has a veg*n section?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

It has 2 pages on veganism and vegetarianism. Pages 240-241... I wouldn't really call that a section. lol

Ooops looks like our posts overlapped. Wow - good visit! and YEAH no more psych visits! Amazing what the right kinds of foods can do - even in the brain.

Next........... get that sinus thing cleared up! What day are you going to the ENT? I'm thinking you said wednesday........ Friday?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

Friday is the day and I cannot wait! I'm supposed to donate blood prior. Do you think they'll let me donate with a sinus infection?? I haven't been on antibiotics for a while now so my blood should be free of them... Something tells me they're only worried about virus infections and antibiotic exposure... guess I'll find out Friday.

Today the sinuses weren't too bad. No pounding in my eyebrow today. Just stuffy. This morning my nose kept itching like I was going to sneeze, but I never did. Makes me thing this is really allergies and that something just needs to be done to clear up the sinuses, rather than this being a chronic sinusitis thing, ya know? Well, as much as I'd like to, I really don't know, so I'll have to wait to see for Dr. Tomek says on Friday.