Page 75 of 584 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175575 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 75

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    On the days a couple of weeks ago that it was around 100F, my scooter's kickstand melted into the driveway! I don't think it was poured very well.
    Is your driveway asphalt? (black or grey?) Asphalt is very maleable when it gets hot (it's poured hot and pressed hot) and it would be easy for things to sink into it on 100 degree day. Ours is concrete, so all we have to worry about is our tires melting into a puddle... lol
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It's been making dents in any temp over 80F too, but happened to actually sink in a few inches on a hotter day. I don't know if it's gray or black asphalt. I guess gray, since it's not super black like a freshly laid road. Yeah, concrete seems like it would be a better option, but asphalt is repaired easier and cheaper, so that's probably why the owners did it. I think it's within a few years old.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

When I asked grey or black, I should have mentioned that is an easy way to tell the difference between concrete and asphalt. But, since it's denting, it's totally asphalt.

I feel rather overwhelmed right now. Everything that I'm overwhelmed with is totally controllable. I think maybe it's sensory overload or something... who knows. And I've gone without my antidepressant for 2 weeks now and I'm still having brain zaps. How freaking long are these things going to stick around??? And my anti-biotics are done. But I'm still coughing - not as bad as I was, but coughing still... and still feeling full in the sinus cavities. And my rib still has an incling of pain if I skip the anti-inflammatory. How long do I have to continue this?? Luckily, the gut flora imbalance seems to be back where it should be - at least the symptoms suggesting otherwise are no more, so it leads me to believe things are back to normal there...

I'm reading "It starts with food" and I'm really liking it. I'm starting Chapter 5 tonight after class. Chapters 1 and 2 are your obligatory introduction chapters - how was the Whole30 invented, how were we introduced to the Paleo lifestyle, testimonials from previous followers who were successful, etc, etc, etc. Chapter 3 talks about the types of food, and Chapter 4 discusses psychological effects of food - primarily processed food and how they trick our bodies with their chemicals, lack of nutrients, etc. Reading about what food manufacturers do to get us to eat their food and keep coming back to it was a totally offensive. I am more determined than ever to avoid those types of foods like the plague out of SPITE! They are playing on our biology to get us addicted to crappy foods! It should be criminal!!!

Anyhow, I've been toying with the idea of allowing corn - as in corn on the cob... Not sure I want to go there. Not sure if I'd have a reaction to it or not (like I seem to have to wheat now). I guess I could experiment. And corn on the cob is only available a few months out of the year (good corn on the cob, anyway - the grocers seem to import it from wherever and sell it year round now, but it sucks unless you get it from a local grower in the summer months). What is your take on local grown sweet corn? Of course, I would avoid during my Whole30 b/c I really want to do this one right with no cheats or allowances.

ok... I really need to get this paper done. I'm sure I'll be back soon.

tomi is online now Senior Member
    Hey Jenn! Great job on the whole30! Stay strong! You can totally do it this time.

Sorry you're not completely healed of that darn sinus thing - and the rib thing - and the brain zap thing - but it sounds like you're better. If the sinuses down clear up you might want to try the neti pot. I've heard great things about it -- but, it sorta freaks me out so I haven't used mine yet. But, if I get another nasty head cold I'll be using it.

Man I don't know how you keep up with your life! It seems you have WAY too much on your plate! You have my sympathy - and my admiration for keeping up with it all! Hope you got the paper done..........
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Goals: Healthy mind, healthy body, happy soul.

Thanks, Tomi. I did get my paper done.

I've been reading "It Starts with Food" and I am amazed to say the least. I was up til 11:30 reading that danged book! I "bookmarked" a couple of places in the book last night and decided I will be posting that information giving props to Melissa and Dallas as appropriate. There is just so much wonderful information in the book. I am seriously considering giving it to everyone for Christmas simply because it's full of very useful information.

Here's a snippet on insulin:

Your hormonal troubles start with "overcarbsumption": the chronic overconsumption of supernormally stimulating, nutrient-poor, carbohydrate-rich foods.

To begin with, a constant excess supply of carbohydrates will tilt your metabolic "preference" toward buring what's most plentiful - sugar - when fuel is needed. If there is an overabundance of sugar, the sugar takes precedence over fat as a source of energy in many metabolic processes, and stored fat doesn't get burned for energy.

If less fat is being burned for fuel, then it accumulates, and body fat levels tend to increase.

In addition, all that excess glucose poses a storage problem in the body. If there's space available in the liver and muscle cells, they'll happily uptake glucose. However, if those cells are already full of glycogen, they will politely decline any additional nutrition (essentially putting up a No Vacancy sign). When there is no room in the liver and muscle cells, the body shifts fuel storage to Plan B.

You will not like Plan B.

When the liver and muscle glycogen stores are full, the liver (and your fat cells) convert the extra glucose into a type of saturated fat called palmitic acid, which can then bind together in groups of three (with glycerol) to form TRIGLYCERIDES.

These two processes combined - the preferencital burning of carbohydrate over fat for fuel and the creation of triglycerides - lead to increased body fat and increased triglycerides and free fatty acids in the blood, neither of which is desireable or healthy. And this pileup of sugar and triglycerides in teh blood pushes another hormone, leptin, out of balance.
    Extracted from It Starts with Food by Melissa and Dallas Hartwig.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Damn, I want that book. If I buy my hair bleach on Amazon, I have enough leftover on my giftcard to take off about $3. Wonder if it's worth it, or if I should just wait for next month.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Another book to read! I can barely keep up as it is.

Tasha, it is TOTALLY worth it! I got the Kindle version but fully intend to buy the bound version of it simply to highlight in and keep laying around. And lend to people who I feel need to read it the most.

June68 is offline Senior Member
    I heard good things about that one, but since I think I've already pretty much got it, I'll pass. Good to know it's solid though in case anyone else asks. Also, I think it's been well-received by some educated paleo bloggers, too.
    5' 9" 44 YO F
    PB start June 2, 2012
    Pre PB SW = 180 (no scale at home, Mom's scale January - 153lbs!)

PB Journal

Ok, I just ordered the hardbound copy of the book. It was cheap!!! WHOO HOO!

Also ordered a charger for my wee man's little 4 wheeler. That was cheap too!!

And then I ordered some ghee, which was $3 cheaper than where I normally buy it, but sadly, it didn't qualify for super saver shipping, so I ended up paying $4 in shipping... lol Silly Jenn. Oh well.