Page 61 of 580 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 61

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Ugh, DH and I really need to learn how to curb our spending. We're spending more than we're bringing in. This is a consistent behavior. It's frustrating to pay the bills each week and see that we're bone dry til the next paycheck, at which point we'll pay the bills and be bone dry again. It's a never ending cycle and I'm tired of it.

Our emergency fund is empty. Well, there's $100 bucks left. There's not even enough money each week to put anything away for retirement. *sigh* And we get paid very well. Our annual income is 6 figures. Our problem is simply overspending.

Looks like we have to go back to the cash system to get things back under control. Our debit cards just allow for too much spending.

This is a MAJOR stressor of mine. Next month looks better, but only if we stop spending, spending, spending. It's not like we're buying big things all the time either. It's the little spending that gets us. $10 here, $5 there, $15 over there. It all adds up. Right now, our checking balance is -$246... luckily I get paid tomorrow so that negative will be covered before the credit union discovers it, but it's putting a big wrench in our budget for the week. I had to move two payments to the following week, which hurts the next week as well.

The worst part is that I don't even have all of our regular expenditures in our budget - like dog food, cat litter, etc. Granted, that's not a big expense, but when you don't have two dimes to rub together, an $11 bag of dog food is pricey.

One thing I'm thankful for is that despite what others say, our Primal lifestyle has reduced our grocery bill. Fresh produce is way cheaper than processed frankenfood.

GAH! I hate this!! It's so hard! It gives me such a helpless, hopeless feeling to see our checking balance and know that if any outstanding checks come through right now, we're screwed. *sigh*

DAMMIT!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is offline Senior Member
    wowsers.......... 6 figures and you're broke? Have you ever taken a money management seminar or anything? Seems no matter what we make we always spend to our limits....... I'm pretty tight with money but its still always a challenge.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

I have read Dave Ramsey and his Financial University stuff and that's the plan I try to hold tight to, but we get lax and then things get out of control again.

Our mortgage payment just went up, our insurance went up b/c of the new trailer/truck, and we have a trailer payment now that we didn't before. Because DH sold his graphics business, we now have a monthly payment to make ourselves to pay off a loan the business took and couldn't pay off, and DH's truck payment doubled b/c he traded for a truck with a diesel engine. Oh, and the fridge/toolbox... can't forget the fridge/toolbox. The payment on that (if we want to take advantage of the 0% interest for 6 months) is $410 a month. If we don't do that, we'll have an extra $200 next week, but I'd like to stay ahead of that and pay it off before paying 25% interest on all that. 25% interest on the fridge and toolbox is something like $600. If I could save the $600 on that, it'd be great, ya know?

It's all do-able, just overwhelming when we spend money like it'll disintegrate tomorrow if we don't...

Dave Ramsey is the best by far! I did that many years ago with the ex. Have you thought about consolidating all those loans by taking out a second mortgage? then vow not to make any more big purchases until the entire loan is paid off? Thats where major discipline comes into play, but its possible. You might be able to save a bundle on interest alone.
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I will admit that is a "blessing" about unemployment. I get enough to pay my bills, buy groceries and gas, and hope nothing else pops up. There's no wiggle room, so I don't have the chance anymore for the little charges that add up. I think I'm going to work under a similar theory when I get employed again- every paycheck, all but bills +$200 (what I'm working on now) goes into the savings account until that's back where it should be. Then snowball that into the car, then snowball that into my student loans, then snowball that into the house. Yes, I'll take a little out every once in a while for fun or birthdays or whatever, but the theory should work. Can't miss it if you never see it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Brad and I have always lived paycheck to paycheck. Our parents never required us to save 10% of our paycheck like all the banks and whatnot recommend (I'm sure 10% is way low by today's standards, but I remember the 10% from when I was in high school). We got our checks, we spent them. Simple as that. It's biting us in the ass now as we're trying to unlearn that behavior.

That being said, I got a nice surprise this morning when I opened the bills. Our electric bill is nearly $50 less than usual, so that's helpful.

We'll only be in this bind for 5 more months. Once the refrigerator and toolbox are paid off, we'll have wiggle room again. 5 months of tightness to save $600 in interest seems smart to me. Dave Ramsey would approve of this approach - not the approach of buying a refrigerator and a toolbox on credit, but paying it off in the allotted time to save on the interest.

We have a plan in place to become debt free, but lack the discipline to stick to it. Earlier this year, I had created a plan that would have us completely debt free except for our mortgage by January 2014. But, we haven't been successful at making that stick. We have however, paid off a car, 2 credit cards and a couple of personal loans since the year started. Sadly, that money has been soaked up in more recent purchases (truck for DH, trailer for DH, toolbox for DH, refrigerator for us).

We'll get there... and it's going to be rough at first, but we'll get there. I don't think we'll ever be completely debt free, but it sure would be nice to not have to perform financial magic every week.

Sinuses suck!! When I push on my sinus cavities, my teeth hurt... despite 3 doses of antibiotic and a dose of sudafed. I'm SO fed up with this shit.

On the positive side, as long as I don't cough, my rib seems to be improving... slowly, but improving still. Slept with vicodin again last night. In bed by 9, lights out by 9:30. Felt awful! Brain zaps, sinus congestion, coughing like crazy (finally used DD's inhaler). Got up at 20 after 6, so almost 9 hours of broken sleep. Daughter woke up twice. 1:30 and 3:30. Finally got her to go back to sleep and she stayed that way (turned her fan up on medium. I think the room was too quiet for her).

DH told me yesterday that he wants to go back to eating bread so he can make sandwiches for lunch. Whatever. It's his body and his choice, I told him. I don't see what's wrong with the leftovers he usually has. Typically, he has leftovers for lunch every day except for Friday. Thursday nights he's in charge of dinner b/c I'm at class. Of course, that usually means take out pizza. Why there are no leftovers when he orders a large for himself is beyond me.

Day 13 of the Whole30 went well. I find I'm eating less and getting full faster - or maybe it's that my leptin has started to reset and my brain recognizes it now.

B: (10 am)
    3 sausage links
    1 hard boiled egg
    vitamins

L: (1 or 2 pm)
    Pkg Hormel Natural Choice black pepper turkey breast
    apple

D: (7:30 pm)
    2 brats from a local butcher (should have read the ingredients. Lots of stuff I don't recognize. Why can't someone just stuff meat and seasoning into a casing and call it good? Why all the extra crap??)
    1/4 sweet potato pan fried in CO

Movement: walked 1.7 miles with Work Friend.

Took the lexapro this morning. I could tell the brain zaps were going to get frequent when I had some right away this morning. Sadly, I was only 2 days off. I guess at some point I'm going to have to put my big girl panties on and deal with the withdrawal symptoms if I ever plan to stop taking this med. 2 days seems to be about as long as I can go without withdrawal symptoms. Maybe I can pose the question to Dr. Ashley (my osteopath) about how to wean off quickly. I feel fine mentally. No anxiety or depression that I recognize... it's just the withdrawal symptoms. They make me so cranky b/c they're so annoying!

Anyhow, starting to feel hungry so I think I'll heat up my breakfast. And I have a paper due today as well as 4 discussion questions, so I may not be around much until later. I hope everyone has a nice day.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I worry also that when I have the money, I won't be able to stick to my strict budget plans. I've been trying to keep a budget in place since last November, but I keep saying, "Well, this ice cream is only $4.49..." and there goes another few bucks every month that COULD be saved up. I need to save, then get oil for the winter, then worry about my loans (which I'm making my regular payments on, thank goodness, never in danger of that, but I want to pay them off in UNDER the 8 years I have left). I keep feeling like things keep popping up that limit me from saving (the tattoo, which was totally my choice, scooter insurance this month, medical things), but truthfully, I am letting things slide. It's hard to buckle down when the person you are trying to buckle down with is struggling in the same way.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

This is how I feel:

untitled.jpg

Of course, it's not the reality b/c we're not bankrupt, not even close... but the pockets are empty after paying the bills...

But, on the plus side, because of the reduced electric bill, I was able to give DS $70 for swimming lessons and a 20 swim punch card at the pool. Aside from swimming lessons, Wee Man only goes swimming 2x per week, so that punch card should last him most, if not all, of the summer.

spied through your photos on fb you have a adorable kids!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals: