Page 585 of 593 FirstFirst ... 85485535575583584585586587 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,850 of 5927

Thread: My Journey from Sugar Burner to Fat Burner - jenn26point2's Primal Journal page 585

canio6 Guest
    Shop Now
    Good luck Jenn. That would be awesome.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds exciting.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I guess what excites me the most is that right now I indirectly affect the Soldiers overseas and with the job in contracting I will be directly affecting the Soldiers overseas. My supply sergeant job directly affected the Soldiers. My first job on the Island directly affected Soldiers. My second and third jobs (last and current) only indirectly affect Soldiers and that's not enough for me. They don't have to know my name, but I want to go home at night knowing that something I did made their deployment a little less unbearable (whether it be clean toilets, hot chow, or a bed instead of a cot). I don't want to just be the one who answers the phones for one of the many Full Birds that makes decisions that affect them, ya know? Contracting at first didn't sound all that great, but knowing what I know now, it sounds perfect, rewarding and very worthwhile.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 204 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

tomi is online now Senior Member
    That job sounds awesome, Jenn! I hope you get it!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

One of the interviewers just called and talked to my boss. I shut the door so he could speak freely so I don't know what was said - just caught garbled bits and pieces of it. I think the new law is that they can't talk about how you are as a person or a worker and can only talk about what your duties are and how long you've done them, so I'm sure it was nothing special. Obviously, if they're checking references, they're interested, so hopefully none of my three references say anything derogatory that prevents me from getting the job. The other two references have always talked highly of me and gave me a considerable bonus when I only worked for them for less than 6 months, so I expect their recommendation will be positive as well. So, my fingers are crossed that I get an offer - and that it doesn't require the signing of a mobility agreement... Me no likey the mobility agreements...

whats a mobility agreement?
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    whats a mobility agreement?
    Civilian Mobility Agreement. An agreement signed by an employee as a condition of employment that the employee, at the discretion of management, is subject to change of permanent duty station under the terms of an established civilian mobility program.

TL;DR they can make you move.

^^What he said.

There is a gal I know and trust well who said she signed a mobility agreement when she got hired because she knows that in the next 5 years or so, there will be another flood of people retiring from the organization that will open up opportunities that will prevent the requirement to move should we get downsized (that's when the requirement to move would occur - in a downsizing situation). The way the government has been hiring for the last few decades is like this. One year they hire HUNDREDS if not thousands of people. Then they have a 5 year hiring freeze. Then they hire a crapton of people again. Then have a hiring freeze for half a decade. What this creates is a wave of people retiring ever few years. In my organization of 150 civilians, this year alone, we had 6 people retire and 6 more people take positions elsewhere in the command that were vacated by people who retired. That opened up 12 position from retirements alone... This happens in nearly all government organizations b/c of overhiring and then freezing. And the organizations here on the island have promised no "reduction in force" actions - and told the Union such, so it's permanently etched in stone, so there should be no need for mobility. But there was one position I applied for that did not require a mobility agreement, so that is my hope.

Given all that, though, if I don't want to move, I don't have to... but I'll have to leave my position if no other position is available locally - which is where the retirement movements come in handy - there's generally always a position to be snatched. In any event, this position is directly transferrable to the private sector as well, so if I wasn't hell bent on retiring as a government employee, I could easily take my skills outside the government and write contracts for companies like John Deere.

I sorta thought that's what it meant -- but thanks for explaining it.

I can see how that would make you a bit gun shy -- but it sounds like the likelihood of it happening is pretty slim.

I'm excited for you! I hope you get the new job and find yourself loving it!!
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, but my former boss, who I put as a reference, just called me and told me to pack my shit b/c I'll be moving soon. He literally said "Pack your shit, you'll be moving soon". He was called by the lady doing the reference checks and she asked him three questions. They are below with what he told me were his responses.

How are her writing skills? He said impeccable and talked about my master's degree assignments (some of which he read) and things I'd done while I worked for him.

How is she at working with other people? He said there was never any problem and he'd welcome me back anyday.

Is she a self motivator? His answer was perfect. He said that when I worked for him, I was a 9. I had just finished my bachelor's degree and was working on my masters. I left there to take a permanent position, which downgraded me to an 8. He said that I continued to work on my master's degree even though it was not going to benefit me at the present time. He said the things I was doing were not conducive to being a secretary - that I should be in a different position with bigger responsibilities, but I got caught in sequestration and hiring freezes and this is where I landed. He also said that if she were to challenge me to a foot race, I'd smoke her b/c I'm really into fitness and run a lot, and mentioned the half marathoning I did and all that.

I guess then they started talking salary and she told him that I need to be prepared to negotiate salary with them when the offer is placed. He said she wouldn't have said that if they weren't planning to make an offer. I'm not sure why that was mentioned b/c GS-07 step 10 is just a pinch more than I make now, so that's where I'd go in salary wise. I wonder if she thinks I'm further along in the GS-09 scale (meaning a higher step than where I am, in which case stepping down to a 7 would result in a pay cut).

Anyhow, I'm really excited. Jim has been around for a long time and knows how the system works (he's as GS-15 step 10 - high as they go) and has been around the block a time or six. He's definitely given me hope that I'm not going to be stuck as a secretary forever.